Menu

extra ideas for history early modern times

Hi Guys.

has anyone ideas of extras -  fun things for early modern times (SOTW book 3)

I already have ordered some TOOB figurines of Powhatan Indians. they are very visual so setting up display table of the week's history seems to have a big impact 

I am hopeless at dong FUN and really need some suggestions

this is for the twins. they both have ID so nothing to complex

thank you

Edited by Melissa in Australia
extra information

Doesn't EM have Captain Cook's Australia visit?

For fun, I add in a smattering of videos: Crash Course (usually World History), Horrible Histories, and History Teacher songs (French Revolution is a favorite for that time period). They either add something, summarize something, or just add a peg the kids can hang more info on.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Doesn't EM have Captain Cook's Australia visit?

For fun, I add in a smattering of videos: Crash Course (usually World History), Horrible Histories, and History Teacher songs (French Revolution is a favorite for that time period). They either add something, summarize something, or just add a peg the kids can hang more info on.

What is EM?

for my older children we did horrible histories, but the twins copy/ act out things they view with little understanding on how it is actors not really doing those things to people. we have to be very careful on what they watch.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Well, we are local to the Wright Brothers, and DD10 is 4th (ish) grade which is state history in our location.  So our history curriculum this year is all local flight history museums.  Things like studying the wing warping discoveries, the parachute museum, we even visited the Paul Dunbar house which is the home of a local African American poet who also happened to be a good friend of the Wright brothers.  For the rest of the year, we are going to be visiting the US Air Force Museum, Neil Armstrong, etc.  

I realize that since you are in Australia those specific museum visits and such aren't accessible.  But perhaps some things like like designing good working parachutes, or gliders, that sort of stuff.  How modern are you looking to go?  Are there some things specific to Australian history that are important to you?

all the field trips sounds like fun. Wish we had resources like that.

I am looking at early modern to go alongside what we are learning in SOTW 3

designing is beyond their ability. that is why I am struggling with ideas so much. my older children were right into making models, designing improved wings etc. but the twins have no ability to do this. they have only just worked out how to build very simple things with Lego.

Some of our ideas this year:
-hold a colonial tea party with all rules and etiquette of the colonial period.  We read the AG book Felicity Learns A Lesson to go with this.
-tax the house.  I gave him money and then started hanging signs in the order that the taxes were established.  Want paper?  Sure, that will be X amount plus a 2 shilling tax.  Sugar for your tea? Okay... 😄
-learn Newton's 3 laws.  There are lots of experiment ideas out there to demonstrate them.
-make a Taj Mahal and explore the real one virtually.
-learn a bit of astronomy and knot tying.  One of our read alouds this year is Carry On, Mr. Bowditch, which can be depressing in the first half, but is a really good book over all. 
-learn the steps in priming and firing a musket and drilling over and over
-how to make/use a hornbook

We're only half through Early Modern right now, so I haven't looked at my list for next semester.

ETA: One of our focuses for first run through is what was it like for a child?  So we do include a lot of that perspective: toys they played with, lessons they learned, clothes they wore, how they would have traveled...

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 1

Hi Melissa,

The above comments made me think of A Child Through Time by Philip Wilkinson published by Dorling Kindersley c.2017. You could do a simple activity for each child, or more if the twins get interested.  Some ideas you could do from a child's perspective:

• make a meal that one of the children would have eaten
  • make a paper doll and dress it in the appropriate clothes for the time
  • make a floorplan or decorate a cardboard box as a miniature house to show how a family home has changed
  • role play a visit from the doctor to show how the treatment of illness has changed
  • you could make a cardboard gas mask, a ration card, a label for an evacuee, for WW2 (not sure if this is the right time frame)
  • could you print out money from the era and find out how much groceries cost and play shops?
  • use some slang expressions from the era 
  • write a letter to them from a child in a particular era, then they could write back (you could scribe for them) about how things are different/similar now
  • find/draw a photo of a family in another era and contrast it with a photo of your family now
  • what work would they have liked to do in the past? - maybe apprentice them out to some of the new professions that were created
  • play some music children might have heard at the time

Usborne also has a sticker book called Houses through Time and it contains some houses from this era.

Are you looking more at the world or are you planning on featuring Australian history wherever you can?

• Like 1

thank you Emma I will look up those books 🙂

I love an excuse to get a few more books

🙂

We are doing more world history and only Australian history in the context of world history. We will be doing Australia, the Wide Brown Land For Me when they are a little more able to write (in a few years) as a writing unit.

And now The Industrial Revolution... is in my wishlist, too!  Glad my suggestion was helpful 😊.

I was thinking afterwards that it would be interesting to read an abridged novel, short story or poem that was published at the time with each topic that you cover - maybe texts that were written for children of the age.  Interesting to see the difference in the treatment of middle class vs working class children, especially in the industrial revolution!  

• Like 1

We haven't started that volume yet, but I've started a pinterest board for it with a few fun ideas:  

https://www.pinterest.com/galel/sotw-vol-3-early-modern-history-1600-to-1850/

I also have some other boards I collected stuff from when I was considering a trip to New England before we had started with SOTW, which has a lot of things about Colonial times that might be helpful...

https://www.pinterest.com/galel/hs-new-england/

For Native Americans I suggest seeing if you can find this book in your library, which has a ton of fun ideas....

https://www.amazon.com/Native-Americans-Make-Work-History/dp/1587283018/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547055610&sr=8-1&keywords=make+it+work+native+american

Plus, wherever you live in the US there is likely that there were local Native American tribes there at some point, so it's worth looking up any historical sites or reservations you can visit.

• 4 weeks later...

well I got my copy of The Industrial Revolution for Kids : The People and Technology That Changed the World, with 21 Activities

I have to say I am very disappointed. It is heavily USA centric,  instead of Europe and specifically British focused - where the industrial revolution heartland was

What a shame. Sometimes it would be nice to actually view books before purchasing

On 12/30/2018 at 2:33 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

all the field trips sounds like fun. Wish we had resources like that.

I am looking at early modern to go alongside what we are learning in SOTW 3

designing is beyond their ability. that is why I am struggling with ideas so much. my older children were right into making models, designing improved wings etc. but the twins have no ability to do this. they have only just worked out how to build very simple things with Lego.

Maybe do lego modelling of the stories?  Do you have the activity guide?