Menu

ISO: HS or college level Anatomy and Physiology

I'm looking to take an AandP course for my own education- I like the looks of Ellen McHenry's video course, but I doubt it can be swapped for a real intro A and P.  Am I wrong?  I also found a free Open Learning Initiative course from Stanford/Carnegie Mellon.  Any experience there?

I would love a course that offers some kind of certificate for a nominal fee, but would be happy with the one mentioned above which is just a free online course.  

Ellen's course is top-notch. I combined it with readings from a college level A&P book. Several of my students were amazed at how they retained so much from the drawings and Ellen's explanations. I highly recommend it as an intro course for non-stem students. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lmrich said:

Ellen's course is top-notch. I combined it with readings from a college level A&P book. Several of my students were amazed at how they retained so much from the drawings and Ellen's explanations. I highly recommend it as an intro course for non-stem students. 

Thank you!  I am leaning towards doing Ellen's first, then one of the open source college-level classes online.  Can you give me an idea of time commitment?  How long are the video lessons?  I can't seem to find a FAQ on her website the way her other courses have.

16 hours ago, JHLWTM said:

The gold standard human physiology text (if you need a supplemental text) is Guyton and Hall’s Medical Physiology 

Thank you, I am adding this to my wishlist.  

12 hours ago, MistyMountain said:

I would not use Ellen McHenry as a stand alone because it is not truly secular like I know she teaches classification in an outdated way. 

Thank you for this info.  I had heard her rocks/minerals was not secular, but did not know it extended into her A&P.  Hmm...  

10 minutes ago, lmrich said:

@Monica_in_Switzerland the videos in her anatomy series are rather long. I would count on an hour per video. I also watched Crash Course anatomy to help with the visualization part that the textbooks just could not quite capture. 

Ha!  I just saw there was a Crash Course!  I love those.  

Do you happen to know if high school and college level A&P cover the same material or not?