Jump to content

Menu

Travel plans for 2019


mommyoffive
 Share

Recommended Posts

Next month is a trip to Clearwater/St Petersburg FL for a friend and I....just a 3 night long weekend thing.

Then spring might be another trip to the same area to see the bio brothers and sisters of my girls.  Thankfully we can get discount airline direct flights from here to there at a steal of a deal.

June is a 3 night vacation up north with my brother, his family, my mom and us.....family tradition you know.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Next month is a trip to Clearwater/St Petersburg FL for a friend and I....just a 3 night long weekend thing.

Then spring might be another trip to the same area to see the bio brothers and sisters of my girls.  Thankfully we can get discount airline direct flights from here to there at a steal of a deal.

June is a 3 night vacation up north with my brother, his family, my mom and us.....family tradition you know.

 

That sounds so fun!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DS14 requested going to Japan during cherry blossom season when asked for family overseas vacation preference. DS13 wants Japan too. No idea when we would go as both kids have outsourced classes and exams so I have to wait for their next semester schedules before doing any booking.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

DS14 requested going to Japan during cherry blossom season when asked for family overseas vacation preference. DS13 wants Japan too. No idea when we would go as both kids have outsourced classes and exams so I have to wait for their next semester schedules before doing any booking.

 

Oh.  Japan has been on my bucket list since college.  I am playing around with a trip to Japan and China or Japan and some other country right now. 

Ugh they don't have a schedule for you guys now? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Camping in the spring at a not too far National Park.

Beach trip in the spring. Not sure where. We are good at last minute throw it together beach trips. 😉

St. Louis this summer for a big event we are SUPER excited about!!!

New York in the fall for a sort of pilgrimage we are also super excited to do. It dovetails nicely with the St. Louis thing so I'm over the moon at how its working out. Especially since we have done zero travelling in years due to dh's health. 

Camping again in the fall. Location tbd.

I am very happy about our plans. Very.  💞💞💞

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Ugh they don't have a schedule for you guys now? 

 

DS14 has a semester long class starting end January and another quarter long class starting February that doesn’t put schedules online so he has to check his accounts a week or two before class starts. We’ll know by end January so it won’t be so bad in terms of flight and hotel bookings. If my kids can take longer than a week off, we’ll do a short stopover at Korea or Taiwan with Japan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

 

DS14 has a semester long class starting end January and another quarter long class starting February that doesn’t put schedules online so he has to check his accounts a week or two before class starts. We’ll know by end January so it won’t be so bad in terms of flight and hotel bookings. If my kids can take longer than a week off, we’ll do a short stopover at Korea or Taiwan with Japan.

 

Ugh.  That would bother me so much.  I need to plan.  Have you been to Asia before? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty much all of my fun travel plans are about exploring Egypt. I expect we’ll go to the US in the summer and again for Christmas.  It will be nice to see family, but the trips are so long and there are so many annoying things to get done, from colonoscopies to clothes shopping to dentist appointments that they feel more like work than travel.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Ugh.  That would bother me so much.  I need to plan.  Have you been to Asia before? 

 

My husband and I are from Southeast Asia. I haven’t been to Japan (except for transit at Tokyo Narita airport) but my husband has been there on business. My husband and I are used to going on short notice business trips so less than a week notice isn’t an issue. Between the both of us, we had traveled to Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, Korea, Japan, China either on business trips or in transit stops. I think the shortest notice I had for an international business trip was a day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s Wedding Travel Year for us!  Oldest DD gets married in April in Idaho and Oldest DS is getting married in October in California (assuming his deployment schedule holds to plan).  DD17 has another East Coast trip on the books for this summer - she is on staff at the Boy Scout World Jamboree.  Also, she and I are doing California in March for her high school band (I’m chaperoning).

i have at least three work trips on the books already - Boston, Orlando and San Diego.  I will probably have a couple to Seattle that Rent planned for now.  DH will make 3 trips at least to Texas to visit with his mom.

We travel a lot - mostly because everything is so far away from Alaska.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Amira said:

Pretty much all of my fun travel plans are about exploring Egypt. I expect we’ll go to the US in the summer and again for Christmas.  It will be nice to see family, but the trips are so long and there are so many annoying things to get done, from colonoscopies to clothes shopping to dentist appointments that they feel more like work than travel.

This will be us when we have August off. We have to go to the  dentist, do other med stuff and see family. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

 

My husband and I are from Southeast Asia. I haven’t been to Japan (except for transit at Tokyo Narita airport) but my husband has been there on business. My husband and I are used to going on short notice business trips so less than a week notice isn’t an issue. Between the both of us, we had traveled to Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, Korea, Japan, China either on business trips or in transit stops. I think the shortest notice I had for an international business trip was a day. 

 

Oh cool.  So I know who to ask my Asia travel questions to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Chris in VA said:

This will be us when we have August off. We have to go to the  dentist, do other med stuff and see family. 

I do secretly hope this will be the year we finally go to Jerusalem.  We met there studying Arabic more than 20 years but haven’t been back since.  But I can’t hope too much.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dominican Republic - first vacation/honeymoon with dh

Cozumel - girlfriend week dive trip

Costa Rica/Panama - either with dh, some grown kids or my girlfriends, depends who can make the trip

And somewhere stateside with the family yet to be determined. Most likely either Colorado Springs or Dollywood in Tennessee.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

And somewhere stateside with the family yet to be determined. Most likely either Colorado Springs or Dollywood in Tennessee.

Have you been to either of these locations? I can't speak for Tennessee, but we absolutely love Colorado Springs in the summer! One of my favorite vacations!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My sisters and I usually go somewhere on spring break And this year we’re doing Cumberland Island and then spending a few days at oldest sister’s beach condo in Jacksonville. She plans to sell it next year because she rarely uses it since her dh passed away.  Looking forward to it!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

February: Drive (moving) from Portland, OR to San Antonio, TX. Spending a day with my dad in Vallejo and three days in Anaheim. Don't tell the kids!

August: Driving to Cincinnati, OH to see the circus. Oops, I meant SIL's wedding. Silly autocorrect.

I want to cruise and train around Europe for a summer, see DC every few years for the kids, spend at least 3 weeks in Japan, drive up the East Coast, sail down the West Coast, visit New Orleans regularly and tour South America. I have a friend that walked from Portland, OR to the tip of South America.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Slache said:

February: Drive (moving) from Portland, OR to San Antonio, TX. Spending a day with my dad in Vallejo and three days in Anaheim. Don't tell the kids!

August: Driving to Cincinnati, OH to see the circus. Oops, I meant SIL's wedding. Silly autocorrect.

I want to cruise and train around Europe for a summer, see DC every few years for the kids, spend at least 3 weeks in Japan, drive up the East Coast, sail down the West Coast, visit New Orleans regularly and tour South America. I have a friend that walked from Portland, OR to the tip of South America.

 

Are you doing that this year?  

Wow your friend is amazing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Slache said:

 

August: Driving to Cincinnati, OH to see the circus. Oops, I meant SIL's wedding. Silly autocorrect.

 

Silly auto correct indeed!!! 😂😂👏👏 

Congrats on moving! Was it you that was wanting more sunshine? If so I'm happy for you. And a little jealous... Off to sit in front of my "happy" light on yet another gray, blah day...

Give us updates on the move!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, solascriptura said:

We are planning/brainstorming/daydreaming a trip to Asia that includes Singapore, Korea, and Hong Kong.  I'm pretty sure that we can hit at least two of those places.  

 

I don't know where you are located now or if China is on your list at all. But there are deals to China right now for 367

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

 

I don't know where you are located now or if China is on your list at all. But there are deals to China right now for 367

Yeah, there are some amazing deals right now.  Isn't it crazy how you can travel so far for so little money?  Tickets to Singapore are cheaper than when I started going there 15 years ago.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Are you doing that this year?  

Wow your friend is amazing. 

:laugh: No! I was having fun. Someday maybe. We live below the poverty level and have never actually had a vacation. The only reason we're taking one this year is because we're going to be 20 minutes from the place!

39 minutes ago, MrsRobinson said:

Silly auto correct indeed!!! 😂😂👏👏 

Congrats on moving! Was it you that was wanting more sunshine? If so I'm happy for you. And a little jealous... Off to sit in front of my "happy" light on yet another gray, blah day...

Give us updates on the move!

Actually a whole bunch of factors came in to play in where we decided to move but the idea of going to the beach on Christmas Day it's pretty freaking exciting for me. :cool:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, solascriptura said:

Yeah, there are some amazing deals right now.  Isn't it crazy how you can travel so far for so little money?  Tickets to Singapore are cheaper than when I started going there 15 years ago.  

 

I totally agree.  $367 to go to China?  That is what it costs to go to the west coast from the midwest.  And you get to Europe on non basic economy for $400 or less. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Denver over Labor Day weekend for a wedding.  We're thinking of driving -- we're in St Louis, could visit SIL in Kansas on the way home.

Paris or London in the fall.  Dd will be attending university in UK for fall semester, so that's our excuse -- theoretically we'll be able to meet up somewhere for a couple of days.

Dh was just commenting that he would love to go to DC every year, so maybe we'll head back there this summer.  Mostly he wants to hang out in the museums and eat at a certain restaurant -- I forget the name, but it's one of Jose Andre's.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

 

I totally agree.  $367 to go to China?  That is what it costs to go to the west coast from the midwest.  And you get to Europe on non basic economy for $400 or less. 

Older dd and her bff found tickets from NYC to Germany for something like $300.  They're planning to do a Bertolt Brecht (playwright) pilgrimage  this spring -- not an official tour, they're both just huge Brecht fans. They're using DuoLingo from the library to learn German. But they figure a well done play is good to see whether you understand the language or not.

I mentally file all of this adventure under Theatre Grads Being Extra.  

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GailV said:

Older dd and her bff found tickets from NYC to Germany for something like $300.  They're planning to do a Bertolt Brecht (playwright) pilgrimage  this spring -- not an official tour, they're both just huge Brecht fans. They're using DuoLingo from the library to learn German. But they figure a well done play is good to see whether you understand the language or not.

I mentally file all of this adventure under Theatre Grads Being Extra.  

 

Yeah you can get to Europe from NYC for cheap.  If you want to go on a no frills airline you can do it for under $300. 

Such a fun reason to go.  I always think, is it silly that I want to go to one place or another for the reason that I have?  Sometimes it is to see something and other times it is just because I want to be in that certain place. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dd and I have a bit of a crazy first few months of 2019- Thailand for two weeks leaving next week, Ireland a week after we get home from Bangkok, then straight to Quebec after that. We'll be in Texas in March, a tour of the Northeast US in May then possibly western Canada and the northwest US though that's not confirmed.

That's the first half of the year...still working on the last six months but so far there's a tour along the west coast and possibly Ireland again in the fall with a possibility of England and Scotland but we'll see as the year progresses.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a family (including both dogs), we are currently driving to Florida to stay for two weeks. The weather looks great! 

I am taking a solo trip to England in June.  I’ll be spending most of my time in Port Isaac (Doc Martin filming) and Newbury (A concert and reception at Highclere Castle.). I am so excited! This is my first solo trip for more than two days and my first trip to Europe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Donna said:

Dd and I have a bit of a crazy first few months of 2019- Thailand for two weeks leaving next week, Ireland a week after we get home from Bangkok, then straight to Quebec after that. We'll be in Texas in March, a tour of the Northeast US in May then possibly western Canada and the northwest US though that's not confirmed.

That's the first half of the year...still working on the last six months but so far there's a tour along the west coast and possibly Ireland again in the fall with a possibility of England and Scotland but we'll see as the year progresses.

 

Wow.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...