Menu

What is wrong with my dog?

mommyoffive

So just if this helps in anyone. 

This morning her swelling of her vulva was less, but she was bleeding.  Took her back into the vet and they said it was an abscess on her vulva.  So they drained it.  She is on meds for pain and infection.   The vet said in 30 years she had never seen an abscess there.  

Does anyone know about pet insurance?  Is that a good deal?  Who do you go through? 

Edited by mommyoffive

31 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

So just if this helps in anyone. 

This morning her swelling of her vulva was less, but she was bleeding.  Took her back into the vet and they said it was an abscess on her vulva.  So they drained it.  She is on meds for pain and infection.   The vet said in 30 years she had never seen an abscess there.  

Does anyone know about pet insurance?  Is that a good deal?  Who do you go through? 

My friend got pet insurance after her wolfhound got hit by a car. The dog had gotten out of their yard and some scumbag hit her and drive away. They found her in the street a few hours after they realized she wasn't in the yard.

It was the biggest waste of money bc everything they ever filed for afterward was denied bc the ins co said it all was related to the accident. Which it never was.

You are better off making a pet emergency fund or having a very low interest CC available.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, unsinkable said:

My friend got pet insurance after her wolfhound got hit by a car. The dog had gotten out of their yard and some scumbag hit her and drive away. They found her in the street a few hours after they realized she wasn't in the yard.

It was the biggest waste of money bc everything they ever filed for afterward was denied bc the ins co said it all was related to the accident. Which it never was.

You are better off making a pet emergency fund or having a very low interest CC available.

Thanks for the advice. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

From what I know it's better than it used to be but still very much a "do a lot of careful homework" before committing. Read all the fine print carefully. See how each plan handles pre-existing and hereditary/genetic conditions, check for caps on annual premium increases, etc. I've heard of a lot of people who got pet insurance for their puppies or kittens only to find that premium increases over the years made the policies unaffordable by the time the pet was middle aged.

Be aware that a "pet wellness plan" is different from pet health insurance.

I've always self insured for vet expenses, putting aside a set amount each month. I figure dealing with health insurance for the humans is nightmare enough. I don't want to do it with the pets. But I know people who wouldn't be w/o pet health insurance.

• Like 2

Aww, poor puppy! I'm glad your vet figured out what the problem was. That must have been really uncomfortable for her.

I've had dogs for almost 20 years, with all kinds of various medical problems, and I've never wanted to bother with pet insurance. Most of the problems my dogs have had (or might develop in the future) would probably be considered preexisting conditions.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

We have a CareCredit account and take advantage of the no interest payoff periods. I know most people don't advocate using credit, but this is what has worked out for us. It has also come in handy for some dental emergency situations too.

*We have a couple times a year where we get extra money that we don't count in our budget, so that might be why this works ok for us. I don't usually issue a blanket recommendation for credit use. But, I also do not believe that carrying debt is the extreme enemy that I see some people tout it to be. We are a "do what you got to do" kind of family. Just be as smart about it as you can.

Edited by jewellsmommy
  • Like 1

Poor baby!

I'm another who does without pet insurance. We usually have some emergency pet cash (instead of premiums) but also have a Care Credit account. We're not extreme pet care people, either. (No tomatoes, please! I've taken animals in for some crazy things. I just don't intend to do human-level life-extending intensive treatments.)

12 hours ago, tbog said:

Is she fixed? We had a Border Collie who we found out couldn't be put under anesthesia. We almost lost her when they tried for a spay, so she was never able to be fixed. She ended up with pyometra, and it got her VERY quickly. Like ok on a Wednesday and having to let her go on Friday. I'm sure it's something the vet had checked for, but it was my first thought when I read this. 

She is spayed.  We only rescued her back in April, so we don't know about her health history the other 7 years.  She was only spayed when she got to the shelter.  She has had pups. 

She is so much better today.  Still on meds, but the swelling has gone down so much.  She didn't need to wear the cone we bought because she was leaving it alone. I am sure she is feeling a million times better.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 5