Menu

S/O Donations - curious who keeps track of the items they donate

mlktwins

I am going through (cleaning out) my dad's house at the moment and I have too much time to think while I'm sorting his stuff.  I'm curious how many people take the time to list/keep track of all the items they donate?  For my stuff, I know if I have to list it all, it won't ever leave my house.  It just needs to get bagged and gone - and we do itemize on our taxes, but still it won't get done if I have to keep track of it all.  My dad (he is 83) is after me to keep track and he doesn't even itemize.  It is just going -- LOL.  I've always been curious about this though.

No way! The stuff would never leave my house. I don't even stick around at the donation center waiting for a receipt. But we don't itemize out taxes either.

Is there a reason why your dad wants you to keep track of everything? Is he trying to make sure you don't get rid of something that he has forgotten about?

• Like 3

We itemize but I don't keep track of those types of donations. We did one year; it was a huge time-sink to try to determine a fair value for the items. I really don't donate much of any value. Maybe books, but when I looked up a bunch of books on ebay there were scads of them selling for less than a dollar, so I could hardly value mine higher than that.  

I get the receipt, I don’t know if it is worth it but I write down something along these lines: bag -kids cloths $5, bag-shoes $ 10, misc kitchen $5.    If it is some big thing that might be worth more than I would list that but mostly it’s just general.   My understanding is that is enough.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, regentrude said:

We used to, for tax purposes, but now there is no point in itemizing anymore with the new tax code; there's no way we get over the standard deduction.

I forgot the standard deduction had gone up, we probably won’t be itemizing this year after all. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Petrichor said:

No way! The stuff would never leave my house. I don't even stick around at the donation center waiting for a receipt. But we don't itemize out taxes either.

Is there a reason why your dad wants you to keep track of everything? Is he trying to make sure you don't get rid of something that he has forgotten about?

His memory is going and he is not staying up with his financial stuff.  I am doing that for him, but he still gets something in his head and keeps harping on it.  He takes the standard deduction though so I'm not going to list.  It will never get done and I only have help dealing with his house for a short time before she goes back home.  Only so many hours in the day.

I did used to keep track and put on our Schedule A, but stuff would just sit in piles until I could get to it.  I want stuff out of my house sooner than later and, after going through my dad's house of 50+ years, I am getting rid of more of my stuff.  Won't be making my boys do with our stuff what I am having to do with my dad's stuff.

I have just followed a lot of these decluttering threads here over the years and I've been curious about this -- LOL.  I feel bad sometimes that I'm not listing stuff and taking the deductions, but then I try to focus on the fact that maybe what I am giving away will bless someone else and it has served it's purpose for me.  

• Like 1

We do because we itemize.  I've started just laying things out to take a picture and filing that in a computer folder for taxes.  When it is time to do taxes, I enter the items in the tax prep software, which adds maybe an hour to the entire process ... probably less time than it takes to assemble all the documents I need.

I don't. If I wanted to spend time listing all the items and deciding on a valie for them, I might as well try to sell them in a yard sale or online and actually make some money. I am way too lazy to do that so I drop that stuff off and my brain does a happy dance rejoicing that I never have to see that stuff again. 😁 (Also, we don't have enough expenses to itemize. I still don't think I'd do it if we did itemize.)

Nope.  Not anymore.  We used to.

All I care about now is getting stuff out of our house to people who can use it.  I don’t care if that’s a friend, neighbor, freecycler, thrift shopper or the recipient of whatever truck comes through collecting donations.  

We give away a lot of stuff, honestly.  And we’ve always itemized.

I keep general track for taxes. If I make a donation run the reciept might say “2 bags clothes, 1 bike, 1 large box household/decorative items” or something like that. I do not create an exhaustive list. I put all of my reciepts in a manila envelope marked with the year and titled donations.