Menu

What's with the ads?

Thatboyofmine

UPDATED W/ PICS! Cold weather clothes... where to buy?? Help me, please.

Help this Georgia girl find a warm jacket for Maine in January.  She’s married to a lovable nut who loves cold weather and has decided we’re going to Portland in January so he can check off something on a bucket list.   I wear a 1x, size 16.  I don’t want to spend a fortune.   Spending $100+ on a jacket makes me ill.  But... if I have to, I will.  Is there anywhere with good warm clothes that don’t cost a fortune?  Online only.  I know that no stores around me have that kind of cold weather gear.  I’ve already bought long-John type gear, a beanie, wool socks, and am borrowing gloves from my mother.   I’d also like to get some decent cold weather shoes as the only real shoes I have are a pair of cheap running shoes and slip on sketchers.   Help a girl out, please. 

God help me survive this.  And no, I’m not taking His name in vain. That’s an actual prayer. God.Help.Me. 

Please don’t tell me we’re crazy.  We’re already quite aware of that.  😱

Update!   We had a blast!   We went up two weeks ago and the locals we talked to said even they thought it was colder than usual, but we survived.   We went to NH one day so dh could go snowmobiling and it hit -7 at one point.   😱   We loved Maine (and NH) so much.   It is just beautiful. Stunning, really.  We’re ready to go back!   We have even played around with wanting to move there (but ds is here so I can’t do it).  Went stayed in Portland in the Old Port section (I think that’s what it’s called) and travelled to Freeport, Augusta, Brunswick,  Lewiston/Auburn, Kennebunkport.  We rented an AWD vehicle and had no problems driving around.  We stayed warm.  The one thing we both hated was dressing in layers.  By the end of the week, when temps got to 25-30* or so, I was hot.  The first day, I thought I’d freeze to death, but I quickly started to enjoy it.  Anyway, here are a few pics!   Thanks to all for the help picking out cold weather gear!   

90F2AE27-750E-44F3-8506-676392A31FDB.jpeg

6F572BEA-CDC1-436E-93C6-429D0A1DB116.jpeg

B7AC0E71-6CCF-4CC6-94E0-40342BDD9475.jpeg

9C0A92BC-C957-4F4A-9A61-11824441E7D0.jpeg

Edited by Thatboyofmine
  • Like 11

How long will you be there and how much time do you expect to spend outdoors? I will have very different recommendations if you are doing some day hikes vs. a few days of running from the car to the hotel. 

• Like 4

LOL--calm down, it's not that bad. 🙂

Nice stuff here at Dressbarn. https://www.dressbarn.com/plus-size/plus-size-jackets-coats/plus-size-coats-outerwear/P-10905

If you sign up for emails (which you can just unsubscribe later) they will give you an additional 20% off. I love their stuff. 

LLBean is good, too, but I don't know how their sizes fit. They are a "gold standard."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We’ll be there for one week.  Some outdoor stuff like short hikes if I’m up to it.  Also, our hotel is downtown near the water, so we plan on walking a bit to eat, look around, go to museums, etc. 

i found this on Duluth trading... would something like this be warm enough?  https://www.duluthtrading.com/womens-plus-shoreline-fleece-windproof-parka-76764.html?cgid=womens-plus&dwvar_76764_color=RIP#start=6&cgid=womens-plus

what about this one I found on qvc?  https://www.qvc.com/Susan-Graver-Quilted-Puffer-Jacket-with-Faux-Fur-Trimmed-Hood.product.A300454.html?orderId=694552002&itemId=223358504&sc=CRT

i haven’t checked dressbarn yet.  Thanks for that recommendation, Chris! 

The fleece won't be terribly warm. IMO, they are good to about 40 degrees F but not much warmer than a good sweater. 

The QVC one looks good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You can expect temperatures in Portland in January to range between the low thirties during the day and... let's say the high single digits at night. Huh, looks like it's actually pretty clement all year round!

Your watchword should be "layers". Think a fleece under a jacket or coat, with a nice scarf on top, and the hood over the hat. If the temperature is in the 30s, a fleece or sweater AND a jacket AND your longjohns really ought to be enough... and if you already have a hoodie, that means you only need to get a heavier jacket or coat to go over it.

You may want to invest in body warmers, though. I'm personally a fan of reusable handwarmers, but you can purchase disposable ones that are good for ten hours and that can go in your pocket, in your shoes, or even attached to your back! You just open the packet, shake, and wait a few minutes and then - beautiful, blissful, heavenly warmth.

What do you plan to do with your new jacket once you get home? You aren't likely to need it in the future, are you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dh says if this trip works out, he wants to try somewhere else the following year, so I suspect the jacket will get used for more than one trip.  We try to go to TN/NC during the cold months, too, and sometimes it’s cold enough for a big jacket but I never have one.  

Yes on the hand warmers! I saw them on amazon or somewhere and forgot to put them in the cart. 

What about this jacket?  https://www.dressbarn.com/plus-size-quilted-belted-coat/prd-103663111#skuId/103663113    Any thoughts? 

1 minute ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Dh says if this trip works out, he wants to try somewhere else the following year, so I suspect the jacket will get used for more than one trip.  We try to go to TN/NC during the cold months, too, and sometimes it’s cold enough for a big jacket but I never have one.  

Yes on the hand warmers! I saw them on amazon or somewhere and forgot to put them in the cart. 

What about this jacket?  https://www.dressbarn.com/plus-size-quilted-belted-coat/prd-103663111#skuId/103663113    Any thoughts? 

I've seen similar--they aren't warm enough for the 3 states you list. And yes, layers are the way to go. 

You don't have any winter coats where you are? I often see them in warmer states (well, not South Florida) because any kind of cold below 50 and people pull out parkas. It's the same here. We were walking around yesterday with no coats but long sleeves, and saw people in hats and scarves with parkas. 

• Like 1

I haven’t seen jackets around here that I was thinking I would need.  However, I hadn’t thought of layers.  So if I do layers, I won’t need a huge winter coat, right?   Base layer of thermal underwear or whatever it’s called, a long sleeve shirt or sweater, and a jacket.  Scarf and beanie.  Will that be warm enough?  My only jacket is a fleece Columbia jacket.  

I don't have specific recommendations, but I'd suggest going for something slightly warmer than locals would wear. In the mid-30s, I leave my coat in the car (or forget it at home 🙁). My department store coat isn't impressively insulated, but it's what I wear even on the coldest (below zero) days in the Poconos. I'm not a huge winter hiker, but I've been known to do it and be fine.

My family members who moved to Georgia almost 20 years ago? They get uncomfortable much easier! (To be fair, their summers kill me!)

• Thanks 1

I live in Northern VA, hate to be cold, and walk the dog about a mile twice a day. I wear a tank top, long sleeve shirt, a big down jacket, beanie, scarf and gloves. When it is below twenty I wear a sweatshirt or fleece below the jacket (over the other two shirts). I got the jacket at Macy's on sale 12 years ago and it is awesome! 

Mine looks more like this one: https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-plus-size-winter-long-down-coat-with-faux-fur-hood/id_328964_57?sku_0=::BLA

I don't like cold and wind is worse. We bundle up like crazy with anything less than 38 if its sunny or 42 if it's cloudy! Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

1. I agree with erring on the side of more warmth. The benefit of layers is that if you overdress, you can just unzip your coat without then freezing.

2. I was thinking a sweater or jacket *over* your shirt instead of replacing a shirt 🙂 (Or possibly a shirt, a sweater, and then a jacket, all of which can go under a coat if necessary. LAAAAAAAYERS.)

3. If you're likely to use this coat again in the future, I'd strongly consider biting the bullet and getting a proper coat, one that goes all the way down to the knees. Keeps your legs nice and warm, doesn't impede walking or casual hiking too much. Either way, if possible you definitely want a coat that has buttons over the zipper, or that has an overlapping flap for buttons. If you don't have this, then wind gets in the gap. What SanDiegoMom posted is just what I'm thinking. Is it waterproof?

• Thanks 1

Relax, it's not so bad here! 

Concentrate on layers. Since you aren't used to the cold, I'd suggest a thin set of long underwear (doesn't need to be expensive, the idea is to keep body heat in), some warm pants (not jeans for you--they can freeze), a medium weight sweater (so you are comfortable in a coat) and a coat (we love down because it's light to wear and regulates in variable weather). Maybe you can find something at a thrift store? You'll want a scarf, a hat that covers your ears and gloves. Hiking boots with wool socks should be sufficient since you don't have snow boots.

If decent gear is hard to find in your area, you might consider going to a thrift store here to buy a few "local" essentials. 

Do watch the weather. We typically get a January thaw, followed by a cold snap--typically the coldest temperatures of the season (if that's the case, find indoor things to do). Heating is expensive so you won't find that indoors are overheated.

If you want some ideas of things to not miss, feel free to ask! We LOVE winter here! ❤️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh, sweetie!  Layer!

I'm headed out for a trip this morning.  It'll be a high of 34 degrees.  My must haves include a pair of leggings for under my jeans, an Underarmour cold weather base shirt, wool socks, and a jacket with reflective lining.  It's lighter and breathes more than my previous jackets/coats, but keeps me the right temp.  Over that go gloves and a warm hat.

Also, Portland isn't too far from Freeport if you're driving.  You might make the excuse to get a souvenir at LL Bean's flagship store (or the outlet down the street!). 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

layers.  dress in layers.  - you can add/subtract as needed.  you also want breathable.  a bulky down coat is just that- bulky.  my dd detested hers  (very high quality eddie bauer from the clearance rack) becasue it was so bulky. I admit I forked out for a good wool (and angora, cashmere? blend) long coat with hood, and with good boots and gloves -  she was never cold.  this time of year, stores are putting winter gear on sale.

long underwear, shirt, sweater, jacket (lands end squall jacket is good). sock liner, wool sock, boots (my girls had steger mukluks from ely mn.)   good gloves.    - ear warmers. hat. (you can do one or both)  you lose most of your heat from you head, hands, and feet.

you  can find cheap silk long underwear.  (very lightweight - and warmer than you think), or there are very good synthetics, or fine wool.  costco has them - check online, as it might be harder this time of year.  rei, etc.   I bought stuff on clearance for my girls.  they were in college in upstate NY.  (so, four winters each.)   good long underwear is breathable - it will wick perspiration away from your skin.  quality long underwear comes in three  weights - so which one you buy depends what you plan on doing - or how much time you'll be outside.

just stay. away. from cotton!  there are signs on trails heads for winter hiking/camping - cotton kills.  it absorbs 4x its weight in water - including perspiration, and takes forever to dry.  they will periodically station rangers at trail heads to inspect packs - any cotton and they will turn the person back.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

layers.  dress in layers.  - you can add/subtract as needed.  you also want breathable.  a bulky down coat is just that- bulky.  my dd detested hers  (very high quality eddie bauer from the clearance rack) becasue it was so bulky. I admit I forked out for a good wool (and angora, cashmere? blend) long coat with hood, and with good boots and gloves -  she was never cold.  this time of year, stores are putting winter gear on sale.

long underwear, shirt, sweater, jacket (lands end squall jacket is good). sock liner, wool sock, boots (my girls had steger mukluks from ely mn.)   good gloves.    - ear warmers. hat. (you can do one or both)  you lose most of your heat from you head, hands, and feet.

you  can find cheap silk long underwear.  (very lightweight - and warmer than you think), or there are very good synthetics, or fine wool.  costco has them - check online, as it might be harder this time of year.  rei, etc.   I bought stuff on clearance for my girls.  they were in college in upstate NY.  (so, four winters each.)   good long underwear is breathable - it will wick perspiration away from your skin.  quality long underwear comes in three  weights - so which one you buy depends what you plan on doing - or how much time you'll be outside.

just stay. away. from cotton!  there are signs on trails heads for winter hiking/camping - cotton kills.  it absorbs 4x its weight in water - including perspiration, and takes forever to dry.  they will periodically station rangers at trail heads to inspect packs - any cotton and they will turn the person back.

Newer down coats are super lightweight and not bulky at all. See LL Bean. :)

Gently, the OP doesn't need to worry about sweating in cotton. Please don't worry her. No one at Portland Head Light or Wolfes Neck is checking to make sure she isn't wearing a cotton shirt. It's true it isn't the fabric of choice for her because quite frankly it isn't warm, but she isn't going to die of exposure walking around Old Port wearing a cotton layer under her coat. 

It's 19 degrees right now, getting up to the low 30s today. I'm heading out in a few wearing leggings, a long sleeve T shirt, and a (lightweight short) down jacket. I'll wear a scarf because the office is cold. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

If you want lightweight quilted but warmer than the DB one, try this from Land's End--it's on sale

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-lightweight-primaloft-coat/id_321808_57?sku_0=::BRC

They have others, too. A nice wool coat would work--layer it with a sweater and shirt under. 

I like this one! Lands End is awesome (I say as I feel like a traitor to LLBean...). 

If it's crazy cold, you won't be doing hiking, so I wouldn't worry about that. And, if it's warmer, you'll be warm enough! Win-win. Pants, even jeans (they work OK for me), with long johns, a shirt, sweater/fleece, and a jacket, scarf, hat (definitely second the recommendations to have the hat cover your ears!), and gloves should be enough. The scarf is the most important thing for me... having your neck exposed to cold and wind is miserable. 

I'd check the 10-day forecast before you leave, and adjust if necessary. 

My best clothing purchase over the past few years was a sweater fleece. It's nicer than a fleece, can double as a sweater, and goes under jackets to make a super-warm jacket. I love mine! I wear it every single day that I'm not at work (hmm... that may say something about my fashion sense. Take my advice with a grain of salt, then!) LLBean has them in size 1X, and the colors are really nice. I work with someone that has the Evening Blue color, and it's lovely. Bonus: You look sporty even if you're not! (moi) https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/120713?page=women-s-l-l-bean-sweater-fleece-full-zip-jacket&bc=12-27-516607-886&feat=886-GN3&csp=f

If you got a sweater fleece and jacket, you'd be all set for whatever comes your way.

So glad you're coming to Maine! You're going to have a fabulous time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lands End has clearance coats right now. I do think you want something warmer than your Columbia Fleece. You could add a rain coat (or similar type shell) over it and that would be plenty for me. Being from a little farther south you may want a bit more. 

Definitely dress in layers. It helps trap the heat and if you get too hot you can adjust easily. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IMO, the longer the coat, the better.  I bought an ankle length coat last year and love it.  I hate having cold legs.

Make sure you keep your neck/head/ears warm.  I cannot tolerate being out in the cold and having ears in horrible pain from the cold/wind.  If you’re near water there will be WIND.  And it’ll be cold wind and it will cut, cut, cut right through you.

You’ll want a thick hat that wind can’t cut through and ear muffs and a scarf that you can pull up over your nose if necessary.  

The foot and hand warmers are also just lovely.  Get some of those.

• Thanks 1

Seconding sales at LLBean and Lands End. Or REI, if you have one locally. 

We get really nice winter coats at thrift shops and on Ebay. Worth checking, if you have the time and if cost is a concern.

I got my ds a gore-tex raincoat for $20 and nice winter boots for about the same on ebay. High quality down ski jacket at consignment for $15. 

• Thanks 1

Definitely check out LL Bean. We are cold here. My go-to every day outfit (I walk 10 miles) is long johns, long dress (I only wear dresses), two pairs of wool socks, insulated heavy hiking boots (my Sorels don't have good enough tread for our ice to hike in), wool scarf (I have a nice one in our Baird tartan)if it's really cold I put on a silk undershirt under my dress, double Columbia jacket, scarf, wool fleece-lined hat, gloves. I'm about to switch to thin gloves and mittens for the winter. If I'm just going to and fro in town and not on trails, I have a long lambs-wool coat with a Pashmina scarf. If the wind is blowing, I put the scarf over my hat and have a neck gaiter (really simple to make out of fleece). I've been known to put a Columbian fleece UNDER my lambs-wool coat, but that's for when it's -20! We can see -20 even during the day in January, with -35 at night, but we don't have humidity. The kids feed in insulated Carhartt overalls, with double mittens, Sorels, Carhartt coats, neck gaiters, and long john tops and bottoms. Yes, we all look like polar bears!

• Thanks 1

Agreeing w/ layers. Some relatives got silk underwear for Christmas and I wish I'd noted the brand. They came in small boxes (think a box for checks). Maybe it was just the shirt?

I wish I'd noted the brand or asked where to find them. I would share!

• Thanks 1

I know you said online only, but if you could go to a Costco you should find a wide variety of shells, parkas, lightweight down jackets, etc., and then you'd be able to touch, feel, try...

My Costco has a full complement of coats right now, and I'm in South Texas. Of course, I've seen folks here wear full-on parkas with scarves and hats when it gets below 60...

Edited by Rockhopper
  • Thanks 1

I agree with layering. You can adjust, and have more versatility for future trips.  

I highly recommend LLBean for your jacket, gloves, thermal long johns needs.  (You can double up long johns for extra warmth).  I have LLBean gear that has lasted well for years so that higher initial cost has been made up for with durability. And their customer service can probably help advise you very well since they are often very familiar with Maine.  The caveat is they may be too familiar:  Since you are going from warmer to colder place, you may feel colder than people there all the time. 

One family member has their plush shearling lined boots, possibly called wikked warm (sort of like Uggs) Very comfortable, and I think cute, but not very structured for serious hiking.  

Recently for shoes I have been using Altra Lone Peak Neoshell

For socks I like Darn Tough wool socks.  I have wide feet, and They seem to run a little small:  I have found men’s fit me better than women’s.  Smart wool is another warm sock option.  

There are now also waterproof socks, but I’ve never tried that.  You can ask llbean about them.

Some oil on skin can help to stay warmer. 

• Thanks 1

The wind will be a big factor.  Also, sun with no wind makes it feel a lot warmer than clouds and wind even at the same temps.

Today I went hiking at 35° with long johns, track pants, a turtleneck, hoodie and Columbia fleece with headband and knit gloves.  I was plenty warm....but I am used to the temps.

Edited by Ottakee
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

The wind will be a big factor.  Also, sun with no wind makes it feel a lot warmer than clouds and wind even at the same temps.

Today I went hiking at 35° with long johns, track pants, a turtleneck, hoodie and comumbia fleece with headband and knit gloves.  I was plenty warm....but I am used to the temps.

Lol--I would have roasted in all that! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

We’ll be there for one week.  Some outdoor stuff like short hikes if I’m up to it.  Also, our hotel is downtown near the water, so we plan on walking a bit to eat, look around, go to museums, etc. 

i found this on Duluth trading... would something like this be warm enough?  https://www.duluthtrading.com/womens-plus-shoreline-fleece-windproof-parka-76764.html?cgid=womens-plus&dwvar_76764_color=RIP#start=6&cgid=womens-plus

i haven’t checked dressbarn yet.  Thanks for that recommendation, Chris! 

I have this coat and it's not just fleece. There is a layer in the interior that really and truly breaks the wind. I found a coupon online and saved 15% or 20%. I like that its fitted and long enough without being super bulky. 

• Thanks 1

FYI, depending on snow amounts, you may or may not be able to “go hiking”. Snow showing or cross country skiing, more likely 🙂 

you can probably rent that gear depending on where you’re going 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Lol--I would have roasted in all that! 

I was plenty warm.  We did have 20mph winds as well......and my "hike" was more like meandering through the woods at a stroll.

• Like 2

Check out Goodwill. When I lived in FL, a lot of the people who came from up North would bring in cold weather clothing donations. On the occasion when we would travel back to the Midwest to see family, we would pick up a few things at Goodwill either before we left our when we got there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We layer for warmth. You can probably find inner layers locally but you will need a good oatercoat too. On cold days we will have an outercoat an inner fleece coat and the clothes we wear outside will be synthetic with either a silky or a fleecy inner layer. Stay dry or althletic type clothes should be in most stores. Make sure to layer up on socks to and go synthetic or stay dry with that too. A balaclava is good for the air hurts your face days. That is only if you will be outdoors for a while. We do not bother with all that if we are going from place to place just if we will be outside for a while.

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Around here, I can occasionally find a Land's End or a LL Bean coat/ squall jacket in second hand store. It may be worth a try.

• Thanks 1

Thanks y’all!    Yes, dh has already mentioned going to llbean to get more clothes if needed.  I was hoping to get by with less stuff, but maybe not.  When I said ‘hiking’ I definitely don’t mean hardcore hiking.  I mean if we see a trail, we’ll pull off and explore a bit and then...run back to the car and the heater, lol.   We are staying downtown right at the water so I know that wind will be biting.  We plan on walking most places downtown if we’re able.   I think I’d be ok with cold and no wind, but the wind really gets to me.    We do have a couple of balaclavas that I’d forgotten about til a pp mentioned it.  

@elegantlion, do you think that would be warm enough down near the waterfront? https://www.duluthtrading.com/womens-plus-shoreline-fleece-windproof-parka-76764.html?cgid=womens-plus&dwvar_76764_color=RIP#start=6&cgid=womens-plus

What do y’all think about these options? 

1) https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70410?page=women-s-winter-warmer-jacket&bc=12-27-617-503108-503119&feat=503119-GN3&csp=f&attrValue_0=Mallard Teal

2) https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-plus-size-squall-parka/id_332004_57?sku_0=::TVY

3) https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-plus-size-lightweight-primaloft-coat/id_328910_57?sku_0=::4VA

4) https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-plus-size-lightweight-belted-squall-rain-coat/id_328939?sku_0=::O57

5) https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-plus-size-insulated-winter-puffer-parka/id_328967?sku_0=::MUS

6) https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-plus-size-winter-long-down-coat/id_328966?sku_0=::DSO

7) https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-plus-size-heathered-squall-parka/id_328956_57?sku_0=::4QP

https://www.eddiebauer.com/product/womens-windfoil-elite-20-hooded-trench-coat/20612422?showProducts=222&color=130&sizetype=&size=1X

I only looked at the first option, and that should be fine. Honestly, don't worry about the cold--like you said, you aren't planning to be out in the elements for long periods of time. If you bring the basics and find it really isn't enough, hit up a thrift store here and get whatever else you need. Just come and enjoy! :)

(the basics: layers, hat, balaclava or scarf, gloves or mitts, warm socks, boots with good soles for icy brick sidewalks)

• Thanks 1

Daytime temperatures in January can be in the 40s during the thaw, or -18 during the cold snap. Come prepared for 20's-30's, and have indoor and outdoor activities in mind.

So far winter hasn't quite happened yet--we don't have any snow! Boo. That can change fast. :)

• Like 2

I moved from a tropical climate to a very different climate this year, and I definitely feel the cold more than when I lived in the chilly midwest. 

If I were you, I would plan on layers (base, shirt, fleece, coat) for any time you are outside.

Also, wool socks. Our Costco, even in south Texas, carried the multipack of wool socks this time of year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Probably more than you want to spend, but this has been my go-to jacket nearly 7 days per week all winter and part of fall and spring for the past 15 years or so: 

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/83435?page=rugged-ridge-parka

My son tends to be much warmer than I am (I have a thing called Reynaud’s which cold aggravates) and prefers a thinner much more mobile jacket like this: 

Dickies Men's Fleece Lined Hooded Jacket, Black, X-Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TFMJNM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MRvjCbJJZJP38

We are in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest  

A couple of inexpensive extra head warmer bands from Amazon could be useful. When I’ve been on ocean in winter my ears get very cold.  

The Altra Lone Peaks would probably be plenty of shoe with wool socks—and still useable with cool or no socks back in Georgia.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Angie in VA said:

Agreeing w/ layers. Some relatives got silk underwear for Christmas and I wish I'd noted the brand. They came in small boxes (think a box for checks). Maybe it was just the shirt?

I wish I'd noted the brand or asked where to find them. I would share!

LL Bean's longies come in that sort of a box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You aren’t crazy, and there’s a whole country of Canada with people living there mostly as far or farther north than you will be.  

• Like 2

#7 looks ideal to me. Look for a coupon code if they aren’t running any deals. 

Enjoy Maine, we visited for the first time this summer and it is beautiful up there!

The only one I’d be concerned about not being warm enough is the last one.

Edited by Rachel
Added more detail.
  • Thanks 1

Check sports consignment stores.  

Check on eBay.  It's not like you need coat longevity; you just need to be warm for a few days.  And then you can sell it to the poor fish whose son is demanding a ski trip in February and just needs to be warm for few days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-plus-size-winter-long-down-coat/id_328966?sku_0=::BLA

What about this one? It's got the cold rating I think you'll want coming from Georgia, it has a hood, it's in your size range, it's down, and it falls mid-thigh. $109.

It looks so bulky.   I have an aversion to bulk.  I know I’ll have to get over it though.  

4 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

It looks so bulky.   I have an aversion to bulk.  I know I’ll have to get over it though.  

You don't need bulk. Just find something you like with a reasonable cold rating. There really is no need to go all out with a full length down coat for just a few days. 

I'm guessing that Duluth wind proof fleece mentioned up thread would make a good option (with appropriate layers underneath). I've spent many years in climates much colder than here with far less. Don't go overboard or spend a fortune on a week's vacation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1