Menu

Grammar text as a reference

I'm looking for a grammar textbook that can be used by my kids as a grammar reference. The actual reference books I've seen are either too simplistic and short in their definitions/descriptions or they are too dense and detailed. 

I'm hoping for a textbook that a middle schooler with a strong grammar background can understand (so probably not a college textbook). I would like it to have fairly comprehensive coverage (including topics like verb mood/tense/voice, objective complements, types of dependent clauses, verbal phrases, etc) and a few exercises for each topic. I don't plan to go through the textbook page by page, but we'd skip around as needed to read up on topics he's not as strong on.

It's older, but Harvey's Elementary Grammar fits what you need. I linked the Ebook, but I have the edition put out by Mott Media. Actually, now that I'm looking at both books, the Revised English Grammar would be better fitting.  It's twice as thick (Elementary is a very slim volume of about 100 pages), and has a lot more information.  It's not an overload, though, and well laid out with optional exercises.

I like my Warriner's complete course text, but I don't have an answer key with it. They can be tough to find, or were when I purchased the book some years ago. But I think it's supposed to be twelfth grade level, so might be higher than what you are looking for. It is pretty darned comprehensive, IMO.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

It's older, but Harvey's Elementary Grammar fits what you need. I linked the Ebook, but I have the edition put out by Mott Media. Actually, now that I'm looking at both books, the Revised English Grammar would be better fitting.  It's twice as thick (Elementary is a very slim volume of about 100 pages), and has a lot more information.  It's not an overload, though, and well laid out with optional exercises.

Do you know of any sample or online version of Harvey's Revised that I can look over?

19 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

I like my Warriner's complete course text, but I don't have an answer key with it. They can be tough to find, or were when I purchased the book some years ago. But I think it's supposed to be twelfth grade level, so might be higher than what you are looking for. It is pretty darned comprehensive, IMO.

Do you have Warriner's Composition and Grammar, Grammar and Composition, or Handbook?

I

11 minutes ago, silver said:

Do you know of any sample or online version of Harvey's Revised that I can look over?

Do you have Warriner's Composition and Grammar, Grammar and Composition, or Handbook?

The one I have is Warriner's English Grammar and Composition, Complete Course.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, silver said:

No, I don't, sadly.  The closest I can come is looking at the image search when typing in the title in Google.  Christian Book used to carry it and the images of the inside pages are still in the search, but when you click on it you're taken to a dead link.

• Like 1

The Mother Tongue is superior for succinct grammar instruction and concise exercises. ** Not to be confused with Our Mother Tongue ** You can use this with paper and pencil (answers in the back), or you can use the separate workbooks and answer keys which are the same exercises in consumable form.   https://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/066175

• Like 1