Menu

Favorite presents (yours or someone else's)

RootAnn

3 hours ago, Sk8ermaiden said:

DD has been dying to see Potted Potter (A parody of all 7 Harry Potter books done in the style of the Reduced Shakespeare Company). We've had a very hard last half of the year, culminating in the loss of DH. So our plans to see it kind of got lost, of course. She would get sad every time an ad for it came on the radio, and I reassured her it would come back to town in a few years. 

When they extended their run here I got tickets for her and myself and kept it a total secret. I gave her a Hogwarts gift bag and inside was only a photoshopped image of Harry Potter in a flowerpot. When she figured it out, it was priceless. 

DS got his first bike and is so excited. As he went out to ride it he said, "Everyone will see me and think, 'Man, that's a cool kid!' "

I missed that your husband had died, I’m sorry! It sounds like you had some sweet moments this Christmas anyway. 

• Like 3

Well, thanks largely to advice from @Mergath, ds14 received a gaming laptop and he is beyond thrilled. 

My other kids loved all their gifts. Dd’s “wow” gift was a burgundy wool dress coat. Ds19 got air pods and a wristwatch. (Wristwatch needs adjustment though because it fits too loosly.) Those air pods are super cool. Now I want one! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PeterPan said:

What kind of dog is that? She's adorable!!

Thank you! We think so! She's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. They are *so* gentle, loving, and sweet. Usually they have a longer coat, but she's been clipped. It's sort of like sacrilege, but her coat is much easier to care for when it's been trimmed a bit!

6 hours ago, Farrar said:

My boys had two big gifts... they each got tickets - Mushroom is seeing Be More Chill on Broadway (he's been obsessed with it for going on two years since it was in workshop) and we gave BalletBoy two tickets to see Marinsky's Le Corsaire ("The variations!" he exclaimed) with a friend of his choice. And then they also got a Nintendo Switch - that was a huge surprise so they were thrilled.

It made me so happy to surprise them. I agree with the idea that having teens is great. They were very grateful and gave us nice presents too. Mushroom gave me a pretty book necklace. And BalletBoy went to the holiday market and found me perfect, soft fingerless gloves.

Is that being done by ABT?

5 hours ago, Sk8ermaiden said:

DD has been dying to see Potted Potter (A parody of all 7 Harry Potter books done in the style of the Reduced Shakespeare Company). We've had a very hard last half of the year, culminating in the loss of DH. So our plans to see it kind of got lost, of course. She would get sad every time an ad for it came on the radio, and I reassured her it would come back to town in a few years. 

When they extended their run here I got tickets for her and myself and kept it a total secret. I gave her a Hogwarts gift bag and inside was only a photoshopped image of Harry Potter in a flowerpot. When she figured it out, it was priceless. 

DS got his first bike and is so excited. As he went out to ride it he said, "Everyone will see me and think, 'Man, that's a cool kid!' "

I am so sorry about your dh.  I hadn't heard.  Sending you some hugs and prayers. 

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Is that being done by ABT?

By Marinsky - they’re a Russian ballet - the big one that isn’t the Bolshoi. ABT is doing Harlequinde here soon, but he was super psyched to see Corsaire because the male dancers... I have no idea... do something exciting he wants to see, I guess.

I am so thankful for our wonderful Christmas spent with family.

My favorite gifts were these jeans and this bracelet that I had picked out myself and had on my Amazon gift list. It was risky picking out jeans online without trying them on, but the fit perfectly and are so comfortable. The bracelet is just pretty. My sweet mom bought both for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Riders-Lee-Indigo-Smoother-Bootcut/dp/B0733S4HCY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1545878298&sr=8-5&keywords=lee+jeans+for+women+pull+on

https://www.amazon.com/LADY-COLOUR-Bracelet-Sterling-Swarovski/dp/B071D9J878/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1545878333&sr=8-7&keywords=crystal+bracelet

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

That is the best! I have places like this my dad used to take me I would love to visit and my word, that's an amazing gift!

It really is pretty great. I've realized in the last few years that, possibly because of the way I was parented, I often have a bit of trouble trusting my memories of things. So, this was especially meaningful for me, having this evidence to verify that I hadn't just made up the whole thing. 

I may have cried a bit.

• Like 2

My brother wrapped up a pack of cigarettes with only 1 in it and gave it to my mom as his last cigarette.  He has tried to quit many times, we all really hope he is successful this time.

My dh and dd found some Italian cookies that were my favorite growing up.  My grandmother made them for me anytime we were getting together.

Dd has a couple of experiences that she hasn't done yet, but her favorite item aside from those is probably 2 book lights.  She has been reading a ton and using flashlights in the car or after she crawls in bed.  She really liked it.

• Like 4

I got a gorgeous, soft, woven hammock for the backyard. I've always always always wanted a hammock and never had one. DH set up the straps to some trees and I just have to hook the hammock on those when I want to sit in it, and unhook it (to keep it from getting mildewed or eaten by squirrels) when I come it, but it's so nice and lightweight it 's not a hassle at all. 

I also really like my DS6's remote control cobra.....it make me laugh every time he uses it. It slinks around and is just hysterical. 

DH laughed out loud at two gifts, which was awesome and the highest form of approval for him - a pair of socks with his dog's face on them and the Grump Notebook that someone shared on the gifts thread. 

I think he will also love the burning peat that I got for him, also from that thread, but I can't find it!!!

• Like 4

Oh, and I got cutting boards that look like books when standing on edge, which is very cool. And a universal knife block and new ceramic knives. I love ceramic knives because they are very sharp, but cheap so when I ruin them in the dishwasher in a year I can just get new ones rather than messing with sharpening or babying "good" knives. And my old knife block was 10 years old, a wedding gift, and literally fell apart last week. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Heatherwith4 said:

The Nintendo Switch was a huge hit here.  We are enjoying playing Mario Kart with each other. 

This made me think...my best friend and her family came to our house last night to celebrate Christmas with us. She and I grew up next door to each other so we shared many childhood memories. 

When BFF arrived, she surprised me by bringing the Nintendo (old school) that she had received for Christmas. We spent the evening laughing while playing Super Mario Brothers and our husbands were so funny playing Techmo Bowl. Our (teen) kids were looking at us like we were nuts. It was like we went back in time and it was FUN!!!

(I’m going to Walmart today to buy myself one!)

Edited by Just Kate
  • Like 4

I was able to get DD14 some of the Pokémon Center, only sold in Japan plush for her favorites, which led to some serious squealing. She got the Switch for her birthday, so several games, especially some of the more social ones, are a hit-mostly because I’ve never allowed anything with screens during social time with friends-but having observed her cheer team this season, I’ve realized that, for teens, there seems to be a “parallel/semi-cooperative play” level and a “deep conversations” level-and having more options for the former is not necessarily a bad thing-and that as DD’s friend circle expands, having more options is good. Not everyone wants to jump into a several hour long tabletop gaming session :).

I got the new iPad I’d wanted for awhile. I also (bought myself, but am crediting it to Christmas) found a pair of Tretorn tennis shoes at a discount store. I loved those things in the ‘80’s, but haven’t been able to justify spending the money. I still love them. :). I also got a lot of craft supplies.

I made a wall hanging the first Christmas we were married that I add a new charm or trinket to each year-this year’s was a very confusing road sign (copied onto shrinkable plastic and reduced) since we’re in a stage where all of us are having to make decisions on paths. 

As as a spur of the moment gift because a friend posted that it was an Amazon doorbuster, I bought DH a 3D pen thing-that was a surprise hit. I also got him a big, furry robe :). He’s hard to shop for. 

Edited by dmmetler

I have teenagers, so this wasn't a total surprise, but everyone else has defaulted to cash for Christmas. I find it a bit sad and I still shop for all the nieces and nephew, even though that means hits and misses. 

*DS19 reacted well to all of his gifts, but I think he liked the Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here record the best. He played it twice that day. He also was attached to the cloud socks which surprised me. 
*DS18 was extremely close-mouthed this year. I hope he liked his gifts. 
*DS15 is a tough customer. So tough. He did tell me he loved the large, digital wall clock though. It was a surprise hit. He also liked the robot socks. 

*DS14 was having a hard day over Christmas so I'm not sure he's connected with anything other than some small Lego sets. He will though. 

Surprise hits: I made my niece some fingerless elephant mitts out of yarn which was partially angora. She lost her bunny this year. She adored them. 

18 hours ago, Quill said:

Well, thanks largely to advice from @Mergath, ds14 received a gaming laptop and he is beyond thrilled. 

My other kids loved all their gifts. Dd’s “wow” gift was a burgundy wool dress coat. Ds19 got air pods and a wristwatch. (Wristwatch needs adjustment though because it fits too loosly.) Those air pods are super cool. Now I want one! 

I'm so glad you guys found a computer he likes!

Epic games has Subnautica for free right now, btw: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/subnautica/home

I've been playing it and it's AMAZING if you like open world sandbox-style games. The graphics are nuts. SO good. I think today might be the last day it's free.

• Like 1

DH and oldest DD worked together to make DD10 a weighted blanket that she is totally obsessed with. 

They also got me an Ember Travel Mug which is a smart cup that keeps or heats your drink to the temp you want.  Its not the kind of thing I would ask for but I really like it so far and am sure I will appreciate it when Baby comes.

Also whoever on here mentioned the Painting with Diamonds craft thank you its been a huge hit with oldest DD she has spent the last two days working on them.

My favorite was a portable Bluetooth speaker. My DH liked his Shiatsu neck & shoulder massager. DD's favorites seemed to be her mukluk slippers and her custom made Yumiko leotard (she gets a custom leotard every Christmas and literally screams when she opens it). DS favorites are his new phone and the newly released Super Smash Bros Ultimate for his Switch.