Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW52: Year End Wrap Up

Robin M

Here are my stats:

First, Brit-tripping, my favorite!   28 counties, 3 wild cards. They were not all mysteries, though I did lean heavily in the genre, especially toward the end. I think I reached the Rebel Rank of William Shakespeare at least by numbers. I did not manage all the "just for fun" items but we did see a play:  Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead at the American Shakespeare Center in Staunton, VA. I won't continue to seek out "county" books but I will track them as they come up. 

I exceeded my overall goal of 50 books by reading 61.  All but one were fiction. Most were pretty unforgettable, to be honest. 2018 was a pretty forgettable year overall.  Looking forward to a better 2019 in many ways! :-)   I hope this list format isn't problematic; it's how it came out copy/pasted from excel.

Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ Timothy J. Keller
Jeeves and the King of Clubs: A Novel in Homage to P.G. Wodehouse Ben Schott
I Am the Only Running Footman (Richard Jury, #8) Martha Grimes
Help the Poor Struggler Martha Grimes
The Book of Fires Jane Borodale
Jerusalem Inn Martha Grimes
The Deer Leap Martha Grimes
The Dirty Duck (Richard Jury, #4) Martha Grimes
The Passenger Lisa Lutz
The Flight Attendant Chris Bohjalian
The Anodyne Necklace (Richard Jury, #3) Martha Grimes
In Bitter Chill (DC Connie Childs, #1) Sarah  Ward
The Old Fox Deceiv'd Martha Grimes
The Trespasser Tana French
In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1) Tana French
The Man With a Load of Mischief (Richard Jury, #1) Martha Grimes
The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2) Tana French
Murder at the Brightwell (Amory Ames Mystery, #1) Ashley Weaver
Barchester Towers Anthony Trollope
22 Britannia Road Amanda Hodgkinson
Extraordinary People (The Enzo Files, #1) Peter  May
The Importance of Being Earnest Oscar Wilde
A Great Deliverance (Inspector Lynley, #1) Elizabeth  George
We Have Always Lived in the Castle Shirley Jackson
A Damsel in Distress P.G. Wodehouse
Jar City (Inspector Erlendur, #3) Arnaldur Indriðason
The God of the Hive (Mary Russell, #10) Laurie R. King
The Day of the Triffids John Wyndham
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight: New Verse Translation Unknown
Dracula Bram Stoker
Henrietta's War: News from the Home Front 1939-1942 Joyce Dennys
Far From the Madding Crowd  Thomas Hardy
Clade James  Bradley
Code Name Verity (Code Name Verity, #1) Elizabeth E. Wein
The Language of Bees (Mary Russell, #9) Laurie R. King
Venetia Georgette Heyer
The Broken Token (Richard Nottingham, #1) Chris Nickson
The Annotated Mansfield Park Jane Austen
To Kingdom Come (Barker & Llewelyn, #2) Will Thomas
Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine Gail Honeyman
Some Danger Involved (Barker & Llewelyn, #1) Will Thomas
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4) Agatha Christie
Force of Nature (Aaron Falk, #2) Jane Harper
Little Fires Everywhere Celeste Ng
The Sunne In Splendour Sharon Kay Penman
Where'd You Go, Bernadette Maria Semple
Whose Body? (Lord Peter Wimsey, #1) Dorothy L. Sayers
Missing, Presumed (DS Manon, #1) Susie Steiner
Oliver Twist Charles Dickens
The Man in the Queue (Inspector Alan Grant, #1) Josephine Tey
The Blackhouse (Lewis Trilogy, #1) Peter  May
Ghostwalk Rebecca Stott
Lydia Cassatt Reading the Morning Paper Harriet Scott Chessman
Footsteps in the Dark Georgette Heyer
Quick Service P.G. Wodehouse
Claire of the Sea Light Edwidge Danticat
The Convenient Marriage Georgette Heyer
The Namesake Jhumpa Lahiri
No Wind of Blame (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #1) Georgette Heyer
Closed Casket Sophie Hannah
A Christmas Party Georgette Heyer
  • Like 9

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been enjoying all of your wrap-ups, and Melissa M, thank you for sharing photos of your home library. If I ever get to properly move back into my house, I will remember these photos as inspiration. (Most of my books have been in boxes since 2011- long story).

Anyway... I would happily be Goodreads friends with anyone here. I also update almost daily. If you send me a friend request but your name and/or avatar does not match the one on the WTM boards, please also give me a brief message of who you are on WTM. It can be really hard to keep the GR person and WTM person matched up in my mind.

Here is a link to my Goodreads account. The name does not match, but the avatar does match.

Off to sort through my stats, and will be back later today with a wrap-up...

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 9

11 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Thank you! I am totally finding that one and listening to it this year! :biggrin:

Yes!!  I'm Erin H over there, with the same Matryoshka avatar as here.  I may (ahem) update my books there almost daily.  I love the way it sorts my to-read list.  But I'm also friends with a lot of BaW people who give me lots of great book ideas!  

I do not see you. Can you find me? My name there is Nerdishly.

This is gorgeous!

I can possibly paste a very old pic of my 'library' when it was less cluttered.  Methinks yours holds way more books.  I am jealous!  I need more bookshelves!!!
(If this works, those are my now 20yo twins in their jammies in that pic...)  The wall on the right also has some bookshelves, but a piano and a closet take up most of it...

I saw the pic last night and thought it was wonderful. 😄 This morning, I updated my goodreads account and am now looking for BaWers.

Edited by Melissa M
  • Like 4

Regarding Goodreads... I’m betting you’ve discussed and shared this info before, but even though I may be late to the party, I would be delighted to join BaWers there. Since I’m a GR newbie, it may be easier for you to find me than for me to find you; I’m Nerdishly there. (And if I’m violating some sort of social rule, please gently correct me.) 

Hey, and a happy, healthy New Year to you all! To Robin, my ongoing appreciation for this thread. I may not make it  every week, but I love that the reading room is here when I do. 

Edited by Melissa M
  • Like 8

I just sent a friend request @Melissa M 😀. I am MumtoTwo over on Goodreads.

I am another who updates frequently.  Being friends with other BaWer’s sometimes makes it easier to find the right book on Overdrive for me.  I am highly visual an it is great to be able to spot the book by the cover!

I still have the Brit Trip list going but changed the name of the shelf to Brit Trip ideas because it is ongoing now.  https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/51042385?shelf=brit-tripping-ideas. It should still be sortable to all.  If someone has a problem let me know!

• Like 5

I will probably sort through my stats a bit more tomorrow, but these are the last wrap-up stats that I will post. I’ll post my 2019 plans in next week’s thread.

TOTAL FOR 2018: 66 books

My most-read authors were: Astrid Lindgren (6), Elena Ferrante (4), Catherynne Valente (4) , and Sigrid Undset (3).

My highlights:

The Neapolitan Novels (1-4) by Elena Ferrante

A reread of the Kristin Lavransdatter Trilogy

A reread of The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillip

The Distance Between Us by Reyna Grande

Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah

Deathless by Catherynne Valente

Reading six books by Astrid Lindgren in Danish

Rediscovering my love of Faulkner

Discovering Miss Read

Witnessing my DS18 fall in love with Kafka

How it breaks out:

Rereads (6)

Poetry (3)

Plays (2)

50 states challenge: +3 (Alaska, Massachusetts, and N Dakota)

Around the world challenge: +11 (Japan, England, S Africa, Pakistan, Norway, Mexico, China, Italy, Finland, Czech Republic, and India)

Spooky (2)

Biography and Memoir (6)

Other Nonfiction (5)

In Danish (9)

• Like 8

Popping in a minute from work.  Y'all know how much I love Brain pickings. Maria's posted a Best of 2018 which is overwhelming I know but have fun following rabbit trails. Lots of books and things to think about.   

Plus Bookriot's Nikki on Passing My Yearly goal and discovering its fun to read what makes you happy. 

😘

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just under the wire, finished my 98th book for 2018. Here are the books that didn't make it onto the Brit Trip list earlier in the thread.

Joris-Karl Huysmans, The Damned (La-Bas)

Jeremias Gotthelf, The Black Spider

Muriel Spark, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

Jean Giono, The Hill

Abbe Theodore Ratisbonne, St. Bernard of Clairvaux

Tove Jansson, The True Deceiver

Blaise Pascal, Pensees

Irene Nemirovsky, David Golder

Dylan Thomas, Quite Early One Morning

Chekhov, The Seagull

Irene Nemirovsky, The Ball

Irene Nemirovsky, Snow in Autumn

Irene Nemirovsky, The Courilof Affair

Elisabeth Gille, The Mirador

Urban Holmes, Daily Living in the Twelfth Century

Nathanael West, Miss Lonelyhearts

Gregor von Rezzori, An Ermine in Czernopol

Philip Roth, Goodbye, Columbus

William Faulkner, The Wild Palms

James M. Cain, The Postman Always Rings Twice

Horace McCoy, They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Charles Baudelaire, Intimate Journals

J. Frank Dobie, A Texan in England

A. E. Ellis, The Rack

Arkady & Boris Strugatsky, Monday Starts on Saturday

Marcel Lefebvre, Open Letter to Confused Catholics

Edmund Compton Mackenzie, Monarch of the Glen

Heinrich von Kleist, The Marquise of O & Other Stories

D. H. Lawrence, Lady Chatterley's Lover

Elspeth Davie, The Man Who Wanted to Smell Books & Other Stories

John Buchan, Witch Wood

Iain Crichton Smith, Selected Poems

Muriel Spark, The Collected Stories

Iain Crichton Smith, Consider the Lilies

Dashiell Hammett, The Maltese Falcon

Louis Ferdinand Celine, Journey to the End of the Night

Augustine of Hippo, Confessions

Wordsworth & Coleridge, Lyrical Ballads

Shakespeare, Othello

Edith Wharton, The Custom of the Country

Rebecca West, The Return of the Soldier

John Webster, The Duchess of Malfi

Boethius, The Consolation of Philosophy

Anselm of Canterbury, Proslogion

Bernard of Clairvaux, De Amore Dei

Aphra Behn, Oroonoko

George Orwell, A Collection of Essays

Bonaventure, The Life of St. Francis

This year featured more countries than usual for me. United States, Russia, Scotland (lots of Scotland), Finland, Switzerland, Iceland, Austria-Hungary, France, ... and, um, Numidia and the Kingdom of Odoacer. More crime/noir than in the past (Cain, McCoy, Hammett); some disturbing or just odd French writing (Huysmans, Giono, Baudelaire, Celine ... though none of those as disturbing as the Swiss Gotthelf's The Black Spider) and four novels by new-to-me writer Irene Nemirovksy, as well as an account of Nemirovsky's life by her daughter, Elisabeth Gille.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

Just under the wire, finished my 98th book for 2018. Here are the books that didn't make it onto the Brit Trip list earlier in the thread.

Joris-Karl Huysmans, The Damned (La-Bas)

Jeremias Gotthelf, The Black Spider

Muriel Spark, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

Jean Giono, The Hill

Abbe Theodore Ratisbonne, St. Bernard of Clairvaux

Tove Jansson, The True Deceiver

Blaise Pascal, Pensees

Irene Nemirovsky, David Golder

Dylan Thomas, Quite Early One Morning

Chekhov, The Seagull

Irene Nemirovsky, The Ball

Irene Nemirovsky, Snow in Autumn

Irene Nemirovsky, The Courilof Affair

Elisabeth Gille, The Mirador

Urban Holmes, Daily Living in the Twelfth Century

Nathanael West, Miss Lonelyhearts

Gregor von Rezzori, An Ermine in Czernopol

Philip Roth, Goodbye, Columbus

William Faulkner, The Wild Palms

James M. Cain, The Postman Always Rings Twice

Horace McCoy, They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Charles Baudelaire, Intimate Journals

J. Frank Dobie, A Texan in England

A. E. Ellis, The Rack

Arkady & Boris Strugatsky, Monday Starts on Saturday

Marcel Lefebvre, Open Letter to Confused Catholics

Edmund Compton Mackenzie, Monarch of the Glen

Heinrich von Kleist, The Marquise of O & Other Stories

D. H. Lawrence, Lady Chatterley's Lover

Elspeth Davie, The Man Who Wanted to Smell Books & Other Stories

John Buchan, Witch Wood

Iain Crichton Smith, Selected Poems

Muriel Spark, The Collected Stories

Iain Crichton Smith, Consider the Lilies

Dashiell Hammett, The Maltese Falcon

Louis Ferdinand Celine, Journey to the End of the Night

Augustine of Hippo, Confessions

Wordsworth & Coleridge, Lyrical Ballads

Shakespeare, Othello

Edith Wharton, The Custom of the Country

Rebecca West, The Return of the Soldier

John Webster, The Duchess of Malfi

Boethius, The Consolation of Philosophy

Anselm of Canterbury, Proslogion

Bernard of Clairvaux, De Amore Dei

Aphra Behn, Oroonoko

George Orwell, A Collection of Essays

Bonaventure, The Life of St. Francis

With all the English books removed, this year featured more countries than usual for me. United States, Russia, Scotland (lots of Scotland), Finland, Switzerland, Austria-Hungary, France, ... and, um, Numidia and the Kingdom of Odoacer. More crime/noir than in the past (Cain, McCoy, Hammett); some disturbing French writing (Huysmans, Giono, Baudelaire, Celine) and four novels by new-to-me writer Irene Nemirovksy, as well as an account of Nemirovsky's life by her daughter, Elisabeth Gille.

Did you find Journey to the end of the night disturbing? I think there’s something wrong with me...that’s what *all* the reviews said, so it collected dust for lo so many years (because I don’t do hard stuff) and it was sort of funny in a gritty way maybe? Am I misremembering? Is reading Russian stuff (this is another year I will totally finish Life and Fate 🙄, Unforgiving Years) totally messed up my caliber? Hmph 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

Did you find Journey to the end of the night disturbing? I think there’s something wrong with me...that’s what *all* the reviews said, so it collected dust for lo so many years (because I don’t do hard stuff) and it was sort of funny in a gritty way maybe? Am I misremembering? Is reading Russian stuff (this is another year I will totally finish Life and Fate 🙄, Unforgiving Years) totally messed up my caliber? Hmph 

Well ... I don't mind wallowing in seediness, profanity, degradation, and general grotesquerie, and Celine's vivid description of the communal toilet in NYC is worth the price of admission ... but I think most people would find themselves gasping for air between chapters. But of course, that's Celine's point about life.

You remind me, must do more Russian reading this year. I didn't get in anything in 2018 except borrowing one of dh's Strugatsky novels, which wasn't as good as Roadside Picnic. Oh dear, another category.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

This year featured more countries than usual for me. United States, Russia, Scotland (lots of Scotland), Finland, Switzerland, Iceland, Austria-Hungary, France, ... and, um, Numidia and the Kingdom of Odoacer. More crime/noir than in the past (Cain, McCoy, Hammett); some disturbing or just odd French writing (Huysmans, Giono, Baudelaire, Celine ... though none of those as disturbing as the Swiss Gotthelf's The Black Spider) and four novels by new-to-me writer Irene Nemirovksy, as well as an account of Nemirovsky's life by her daughter, Elisabeth Gille.

Hey, I read The Black Spider this year too - it was my German pick for Spooky October.  That was hard to get through - I was very glad it was so short!

• Like 4

And here is why one should never get rid of books, ever.  I am working on a list of books to read for my personal nonfiction-USA challenge. And while searching through Goodreads I came across two books that I used to own. I had gotten them about 25, maybe closer to 30, years ago at the San Francisco Book Festival, listened to the authors talk about them, had them signed by the authors, and read them.  Enjoyed them, I think. And got rid of them at some point.  Now, here I am, wanting to read them again. They are both available in my public library system, so they are not inaccessible, but... gah!  I want my own copies back!   Why did I not think they might be wanted someday?!

PS: don't tell my husband I said that; he has loads of books he needs to get rid of.  :-)

Edited by marbel
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Hi everyone! I know I'm late to the party but I got sick right after Christmas and finally feel back to normal enough to post. 

I ended up reading 87 books this year, the most ever. For Brit-Tripping I filled in at least 19 counties but I know I actually did more than that but just couldn't remember which county I was in by the end of the story and it always seemed to happen when I was on my kindle which is such a bear to search through.  Also, it seemed that every book I wanted to read that was set in England was based in London.

I read a lot of mysteries this year - my favorites had to be Magpie Murders and The Word is Murder both by Anthony Horowitz.

I also read a few books that were not my usual type - The Bees by Laline Paull was so good! And A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay was definitely out of character for me. 

I still haven't finished my reread of Kristin Lavransdatter. I'm always happy when I'm reading it but find I tend to set it down when something new and shiny shows up.

I listened to around 16 audio books  - Dracula was my favorite! What a great story!

Overall I've been happy with my reading and am looking forward to next year. 🙂

• Like 4