Menu

As a college professor/instructor, would you welcome. . .

Pegasus

a communication from a student's parent AFTER the semester is past?  To add context, I had this professor many years ago when I was attending that school in the same college department and he is now in charge of the entire freshman engineering program.  My DD just finished her first semester there and, while continuing in the program that he heads, will not have him as a direct instructor going forward.  I'm wondering if it is still inappropriate for me to provide some feedback on the huge changes in the freshman engineering program since I attended. My feedback would be almost completely positive/affirming.  Maybe I should wait until DD is no longer in the freshman engineering program and has moved on to sophomore year?  Or maybe it is just inappropriate for me, as a parent, to provide feedback at all!  I'm willing to really hear if this is the case.

Edited by Pegasus

I think the fact that you are an alumna strengthens your case. It would be perfectly fine, IMO, if you, having been a student at that institution and now a parent of a current student, send a short comment (I would not write reams of commentary) on the program since you have the direct comparison.

It might seem strange to me if a random parent weighed in on the structure of our program. I think, however, comments from parents about a positive experience their child had in a class would be welcome. I have occasionally had comments from parents who expressed their appreciation, and I value them.

• Like 5

As a teacher I love hearing from former students. I still keep in touch with a professor of mine who enjoys hearing from her former students as well. 

As far as comments on the program I’d probably just go with a short version, like, 

Im impressed with the xyz dept. These  days- isnt it cool I was there and now my child is enjoying the dept too

Given that you are an alum, I think it would be fine, and even appreciated by the faculty member, to send a short note saying that you fondly remember your days there, are glad to see that he is still there, and that you appreciate that your child is now able to have an equally good experience.  I think it is also appropriate to mention some positive changes you have seen in the program structure or some new, innovative methodologies that are being used that you are glad current students are being exposed to. I would limit any negative comments, especially since it sounds as if your child has only experienced one semester, and therefore does not have a context of the entire program structure in which to place any of those negative comments.  

• Like 2