Menu

Need a good Christmas movie for 5-12 yr. olds

Meadowlark

Just now, Meadowlark said:

For example, Home Alone is a no-go because of the disrespect, language, and Playboy magazine.

A big part of Christmas Chronicles was that the siblings fought but had to team up for Christmas spirit. There was some disrespectful stuff and Santa was Kurt Russel, so kind of...rough around the edges. I don't know if it would be a good pick.

Muppet Christmas Carol would be a better choice all around, I think.

Our family tradition when I was a kid was Ernest Saves Christmas.  It's really cooky, but clean.  There is a "bad guy", who wants the next Santa to instead become a film actor.  So the current Santa and the movie producer fight over the potential next Santa.  The movie producer wants potential Santa to star in a "horror" film- quotes because there is nothing scary at all in the Ernest movie and because potential Santa ends up saying the film is inappropriate and he won't be seen in it.  Meanwhile, Ernest has to gather then reindeer and sled, find Santa's bag, which has been stolen, bust Santa out of prison, etc.  

We're going to try Muppet Carol this year, looking forward to it!  

• Like 1

We really liked The Christmas Chronicles.  I thought it would be headed toward Netflix's cringe pile, but it was very sweet.

We also liked the Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas and Twice Upon A Christmas.  Short stories, I think most of them based on classic stories (Gift Of The Magi, Christmas Every Day..) and the ones with Goofy and Max always make me smile.

If your kids like Muppets, they might like Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas.  It's a little different, but still Jim Henson.  And if they like the Wizard of Oz, try Meet Me In St. Louis.  It's a chronicle of a year with Judy Garland playing an older sister and she sings her iconic Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas.

• Like 1

My first thought was the Muppet’s Christmas Carol.  But I see that a few others beat me to it!

It’s one of the best adaptations of A Christmas Carol mixed in with the gentle humor of the Muppets.  This version came out when I was already an adult and it’s one of my favorites.  So, the oldest child will love it as will the youngest and so will the parents.  

• Like 2

I wonder if you might like Arthur Christmas.  Arthur is Santa's extremely clumsy younger son, a good-hearted geek who wants every child to have a gift from Santa.  Tech-savvy big brother Steve has an enormous ego, Grand-Santa has completely lost his filter, and Santa himself is a bit of a doddering old fool who really needs to retire; after a night of intense adventure, they all come together to realize that gentle Arthur should carry on the Santa tradition.  We love it!  

My kids requested watching "A Muppet Christmas Carol" tomorrow so they can sing the song about "only one more sleeping till Christmas"! Firm favourite at our house. 

Though we also watched "The Snowman" and the sequel the other day. "The Snowman" was a favourite of my childhood - it came out the year I was born.

18 hours ago, klmama said:

I wonder if you might like Arthur Christmas.  Arthur is Santa's extremely clumsy younger son, a good-hearted geek who wants every child to have a gift from Santa.  Tech-savvy big brother Steve has an enormous ego, Grand-Santa has completely lost his filter, and Santa himself is a bit of a doddering old fool who really needs to retire; after a night of intense adventure, they all come together to realize that gentle Arthur should carry on the Santa tradition.  We love it!  

This is my recommendation as well