Menu

What's with the ads?

nopenope

Learning ASL. x-posted

Please forgive me in advance, because I am nearly totally ignorant about this topic!

My kids want to learn ASL. 

We live on a small island and there are no local resources. 

So, please hit me with any resources you know of; I can sift through them as necessary. 

Secondly, is there anything I need to know about sign language? It appears to me to be just a case of memorizing word=sign. Is that true? Do you translate each and every word, word for word, into a sign? Or does word order change? Is there grammar involved? Dialects? 

Literally anything I might need to know, please tell me! 

ASL has completely different grammar than English.

There is something called Signed English that is more of a word for word translation.

I don't know much more than that. We've learned some word signs from Signing Time videos, they are good at making the signs memorable.

• Like 2

I was going to suggest Signing Time too, especially if your children are younger.    ASL has a different grammar, different set of words (they don't use some words that are in signed English, which uses exact English grammar).   ASL makes more sense visually, but signed English is often taught in deaf schools along with ASL to help kids understand the grammar of English so they can read better.      This video is a good explanation (also explains SimCom, which is short for Simultaneous Communication, which I hadn't heard of before.    

Edited by goldenecho

ASL is it’s own language with it’s own grammar and regional variations.  SEE is Signed Exact English and is English grammar on the hands.  I Sim-Com (use English and ASL simultaneously) with my son but it’s a bad habit and not really a good language strategy   

Good ASL resources:

Singing Time-good videos especially for younger hearing children. They’ll learn a lot of vocabulary but not get exposed to a lot of the grammar/syntax.  

ASL Nook-good short videos with children signers. No voice over. They will see the grammar while learning vocabulary.  They also tell some popular children’s stories.  

Lifeprint.com- good for older kids/adults.  Full ASL lessons by teacher who is deaf/native ASL user.  Also has a Favebook group.