Menu

Gifts to increase comfort for cancer patient?

klmama

An elderly relative was just diagnosed with cancer and will start chemo soon.  We're considering an electric blanket or heating pad; apparently, he's always cold and always in pain. Any other suggestions for gifts that would increase his comfort now or with chemo?  TIA.

Depends on the type of chemo but some treatments can take several hours.  A thermos and/or insulated lunch pack is helpful for packing cold/hot drinks and snacks for the long duration. A soft warm blanket is nice during chemo treatments as well as something to do to occupy the time - books/magazines, computer pad with movies/games, etc.

• Like 1

One more tip.  Be sure the gift is something that you are ok with them giving away or tossing once they are past chemo.  Even when treatments go smoothly, the memories of chemo can come to mind later by the item. One poor woman saw her medical oncologist months later at the grocery store and immediately threw up. I had a wave of nausea over a year past chemo when I heard the musical theme from an electronic game that I frequently played while receiving treatments.  I had played it since that time as well but always had the sound off!

Edited by Pegasus
  • Like 2