Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Æthelthryth the Texan

Kind Strangers

We had a kindness shown to us today I thought I would share. 

We went into Houston today to take MIL to lunch and braved the Galleria traffic to go to a restaurant dh loves. Everyone was more than ready to get out of the car and sit down after all of the crazy Christmas traffic, as if you're familiar with Houston, I know you can imagine. As we were waiting to be seated, an older woman my MIL's age,  who was waiting ahead of us, turned and complimented my two youngest kids on how nicely they were waiting and asked them what grade they were in. This of course got the homeschool kids "deer in the headlights" look and "uuuuhhhhhh" response (even though I've told them both to say 1st/2nd- they forget) which is always a bit embarrassing for me. Dh told her we homeschooled so they were all over grade wise and she smiled and said oh but they look like such good students and told us she was a retired public school teacher who had taught 1st and then later 5th grade. We chit chatted a couple of minutes and then everyone was seated and went on our way. 

Later, as we were eating, she stopped back by our table and gave each of the kids a Christmas card with a fresh $2 bill in it. She told them a little about $2 bills and how money had changed over the years and some history stuff, then said they were doing great jobs as students and to be thankful they had such a good Mother to teach them so well at home, to keep working hard, and then wished us Merry Christmas and left. I was so surprised and so happy and the kids were thrilled! It was just such an awesome, unexpected blessing in our day. With all of the horrible news and so much hostility you see online, it's really awesome that there are people like her around and to experience just such a random bit of generosity in our day. 

Anyway, just wanted to share. Hope y'all had something blessed in your day as well. 

Edited by Æthelthryth the Texan
  • Like 42
  • Thanks 3

The ladies here on these forums are my daily exposure to kind strangers.  True!

This summer I took a Greyhound with DS10, DD7, and a newborn baby from upstate NY to southern Colorado.  DS10 as a younger kid was the kind I couldn't take in grocery stores, ever.  So I was nervous.  But they were great.  On one leg, a nice lady gave them both a dollar when we got off the bus - she said she was grateful they hadn't been obnoxious for the 8 hour ride 🙂

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Well I made a post about the generous stranger at universal studios ds encountered yesterday.

On top of that, while waiting in line for the Hogwarts Express, a dad of 2 was admiring our family and asked if we had 5 (two were hidden in the double stroller pretty well at the time so the question was genuine.) Expecting him to say, 'wow you have your hands full,' I was pleasantly surprised when he responded, 'wow that's awesome.' He said this in a very positive way and it made me happy to have a genuinely joyful response to our family size.

• Like 10

I’ll share my stranger kindness story...a couple of weeks ago I had bought groceries and took the shopping cart out to the car to unload into the back of my SUV. Well, the darn cart kept rolling no matter how I positioned it! So I was kind of holding it with my leg and unloading awkwardly when a gentleman walking from his car into the store said ‘Here...let me hold that for you!’ And held the cart while I loaded my car. And it was A LOT of bags! Then he took my cart in with him. It was just so, so kind. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Later, as we were eating, she stopped back by our table and gave each of the kids a Christmas card with a fresh $2 bill in it. 

So sweet! And a free history lesson to boot. 

• Like 1

This is the kind of person I want to be. Everyone encounters enough doom and gloom and rudeness every day. We need more people like her.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

We had a kindness shown to us today I thought I would share. 

We went into Houston today to take MIL to lunch and braved the Galleria traffic to go to a restaurant dh loves. Everyone was more than ready to get out of the car and sit down after all of the crazy Christmas traffic, as if you're familiar with Houston, I know you can imagine. As we were waiting to be seated, an older woman my MIL's age,  who was waiting ahead of us, turned and complimented my two youngest kids on how nicely they were waiting and asked them what grade they were in. This of course got the homeschool kids "deer in the headlights" look and "uuuuhhhhhh" response (even though I've told them both to say 1st/2nd- they forget) which is always a bit embarrassing for me. Dh told her we homeschooled so they were all over grade wise and she smiled and said oh but they look like such good students and told us she was a retired public school teacher who had taught 1st and then later 5th grade. We chit chatted a couple of minutes and then everyone was seated and went on our way. 

Later, as we were eating, she stopped back by our table and gave each of the kids a Christmas card with a fresh $2 bill in it. She told them a little about $2 bills and how money had changed over the years and some history stuff, then said they were doing great jobs as students and to be thankful they had such a good Mother to teach them so well at home, to keep working hard, and then wished us Merry Christmas and left. I was so surprised and so happy and the kids were thrilled! It was just such an awesome, unexpected blessing in our day. With all of the horrible news and so much hostility you see online, it's really awesome that there are people like her around and to experience just such a random bit of generosity in our day. 

Anyway, just wanted to share. Hope y'all had something blessed in your day as well. 

My friend had a ongoing deal with her kids that if they ever got complimented in public (the kids couldn't hint at it such as asking strangers, "aren't we being good"), she would give them a full sized candy bar each.  Sounds like the woman did that and more.  Such a nice thing for you to have.

• Like 3