Menu

Do any of you buy used living room furniture?

mom2scouts

We need a new couch and loveseat! We bought a good quality set in 2001 and it's held up well through five kids and multiple cats giving it lots of use, but it really needs to be replaced. The stuffing is coming out of one armrest, some wood is showing near the back, and the springs have been repaired a couple of times and are now ready to give out on the loveseat. We just had to replace our stove and we can't afford to buy good quality furniture right now. I've thought about buying cheap stuff, but I keep seeing good quality furniture on FB Marketplace for a few hundred dollars. We live close to an upscale community where people replace stuff just because they're tired of it or they're remodeling and it doesn't go with the new design. I guess there always is the risk of bedbugs and stuff, but I'm tempted. Would you do it?

20 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

We need a new couch and loveseat! We bought a good quality set in 2001 and it's held up well through five kids and multiple cats giving it lots of use, but it really needs to be replaced. The stuffing is coming out of one armrest, some wood is showing near the back, and the springs have been repaired a couple of times and are now ready to give out on the loveseat. We just had to replace our stove and we can't afford to buy good quality furniture right now. I've thought about buying cheap stuff, but I keep seeing good quality furniture on FB Marketplace for a few hundred dollars. We live close to an upscale community where people replace stuff just because they're tired of it or they're remodeling and it doesn't go with the new design. I guess there always is the risk of bedbugs and stuff, but I'm tempted. Would you do it?

Yes. Most of our furniture was bought on Craigslist

• Like 2

Yes, we’ve had used soft furniture.  We haven’t had a problem.  

As a thought — I’ve heard of people leaving things in their garage or something?  I don’t really know, I’ve never lived in a region with bed beds.  

Seriously — sometimes people just don’t end up liking the style they picked.  Or they don’t want to haul it away.  The place where we buy furniture now will not remove old furniture.  But that doesn’t mean anything is wrong with it.  

We sold our old couch and loveseat on Craigslist when we replaced them, earlier this year, and I felt like the young person who got them got a good deal to save her a lot of money and have something decent.  We ended up giving her a lamp table too, that didn’t really look nice with our new couch and loveseat.  

• Like 2

I’m also the kind of person where — pee and vomit have gotten on things like carpet or fabric, and I have washed it and moved on with my life.

I honestly feel like whatever is going on in my house anyway is enough that I am not going to be unhappy with things from someone else’s house.  

Also guests sat on our old couch and loveseat the week before we got new ones.  

I don’t know, it’s hard to explain, but it is just something I am okay with.    

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

Is your current furniture the type that can be repaired and reupholstered? If so, and it's a good quality set, that might be the way to go. If that still proves too pricey, I'd consider replacing the springs on the love seat (not repairing) if that would hold you over long enough to get the rest done. Maybe do it piece by piece? 

I would be reluctant to buy used soft goods, but I live in a semi-tropical area. Bugs are not only abundant, they are sometimes huge and scary, lol. And can make nests in soft furniture 🤢

4 minutes ago, katilac said:

Is your current furniture the type that can be repaired and reupholstered? If so, and it's a good quality set, that might be the way to go. If that still proves too pricey, I'd consider replacing the springs on the love seat (not repairing) if that would hold you over long enough to get the rest done. Maybe do it piece by piece? 

I would be reluctant to buy used soft goods, but I live in a semi-tropical area. Bugs are not only abundant, they are sometimes huge and scary, lol. And can make nests in soft furniture 🤢

It's not just the upholstery that's the problem or I might consider that. The bottom of the seat is actually starting to collapse, the cushions are worn out, and the upholstery is torn. Repairing and replacing all that would be almost like buying new furniture anyway. This is furniture that has been used all day, every day by a large family for almost 17 years.

I think, to be honest, maybe you could get a sense of the family when picking up the furniture, and if you get a bad feeling then don’t get it.  

You would probably be going into their house or some part of their house (possibly a garage) to remove the furniture, unless they have already moved it outside.  

That is close enough to “friend of a friend” for me.  

I think also, my comfort is high because I know a lot of people who I DO know who have sold through Craigslist, and others who have had fine experiences with buying.  

• Like 3

tables I don't have a problem with - I can tell if their good quality/condition or not.   stuffed furniture . . .

I did buy a used leather sofa.  very good condition, good quality leather.  stay away from pleather!!!!!  (i've bought it new - and vowed to never buy it again.  dsil had a pleather love seat no one was allowed to sit on.   he wanted to buy a leather chair from costco - dd told him only if he got rid of that love seat within a week.

YES!  Much better than buying cheap.  People change out furniture remarkably often, so there is gently used good quality furniture available all the time.

I keep furniture until it's dead.  But people with more money often decide to redecorate on a whim, or move and existing furniture doesn't fit.

• Like 2

I don't think we have anything new in our living room - the couches and bookcases are from Craigslist, the cabinets are a hand-me-down from my aunt, the tables from my mom, the computer armoire from Facebook. Oh, wait, we did buy the recliner new 15ish years ago when I won a gift card to a furniture store.

I've never bought a new couch. I've never had a problem with used furniture. 

• Like 1

I purchased a used microfiber sectional that originally came from Macy's that I adore.  I paid probably 10% of the new price and it has been great, so I would absolutely consider buying used again (but I do only buy name brands so that I don't end up with someone else's cheap furniture that  is going to fall apart on me in 6 months).

• Like 1

Everything in my living room is used. But from a friend that was replacing their furniture and from my grandmother that does a better job of keeping up with style than anyone else I know and updates often. 

In the situation you describe, and if you were able to go into the home to assess general cleanliness, I'd go for it. I have a few friends that have bought used couches, bedroom furniture, and even mattresses used from strangers in upscale neighborhoods without any problems. 

• Like 1

Yes. All our furniture is used or hand me downs. I cry less when my kids ruin used stuff that we haven't invested loads of money in. 😅

Years ago we bought a used leather sofa sleeper that still looks fantastic despite my kids using it. 😊 Getting quality furniture for cheap rocks. And sometimes getting cheap furniture for even cheaper also rocks. I just bought several pleather topped stools for $10 each for our homeschool table. A short time later my youngest took a pair scissors and poked holes in most of them. I would have cried real tears if I had spent good money on them. 

• Like 2

Sigh.

I have never bought new coaches for our home.

We had DH's old hideabed that he already owned when we met in there for quite a while.  Then when a friend of ours downsized we bought his couch and loveseat right out of his living room.  He was a meticulously clean guy and we didn't think twice about it.  Then I accepted my grandmother's old sofa when Grandpa passed away.  (That one is old with a heavy wood frame.  At some point I will probably have it recovered.)  Then our next door neighbors moved across the country and we bought their couch and loveseat.  

This particular type of adulting has just not happened for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SamanthaCarter said:

Cheap furniture. I think if I had it to do over again, I’d risk bedbugs. 

011F1E1F-3867-4110-AECE-69D34A995D44.jpeg

BE360A71-ACED-443D-9F3D-BEDF7D08DECD.jpeg

46FE1111-7EB5-4A22-AE33-DD2CD76028E0.jpeg

And that is just it.  We refuse to buy cheap furniture but don't want to spend $4,000 on a sofa/loveseat.  So, we spend $500-$1000 as someone moves out of the country or those rich ladies who just decide they don't want the brick red color, they want brown 2 years later.  🤣

• Like 2

I just bought a lounge chair and ottoman at my thrift store for $50. I was willing to risk bed bugs for that price. It looks in good shape. The back is slouchy and I can tell it got a lot of use, but there are no major problems with it. 

So... how would I know if it has bed bugs? College dd is coming home for two weeks and will be using it. I'd hate for her to take bed bugs back to her rental house.

• Like 1

Yes, just bought 2 couches off Craigslist from 2 different sellers, and I've  bought couches and chairs in the past the same way (we have moved a lot, so it's just worked well for us to buy cheap and sell it rather than haul it each time).  I've never had an issue!  I think the key is picking it up from their house.  If their house looks gross, then pass and find another one!  So far we haven't experienced that, but that's what I would do.

• Like 1

I bought a couch and chair from CL about a year and a half ago. Honestly, it was the first time I’ve ever bought used furniture or anything from CL, but I just did.not.want to buy new. It has worked out great! We did pick it up directly from his living room so I was able to assess the living environment.  I actually lifted the cushions to look under them and there was a pencil there. (Completely spotless otherwise!) and he apologized and said his daughter must have lost it there. All I was thinking, was WOW! Where are all the crushed goldfish and legos?!😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Yes, we found our first couch at a garage sale and used it for years. I recently picked up a free upholstered rocking chair and ottoman that my neighbors had put out by the road. They are in great condition and I've received lots of compliments on them. They have washable covers, which is great. I just wiped down the rest and let them air dry. 

We have a "gently used" furniture store in our town and I adore it. I hate wasting money and I love to reuse things. It's so satisfying to find a good deal--and I find I worry about things less if they are already a little imperfect when I get them. 

• Like 1

Bought a custom made/custom color Natuzzi all leather sectional from a little old Italian lady who was downsizing to move to FL from Boston.  I had been searching for the right piece for a couple of months on CL.  I think she paid over 8-10K for it.  I paid $1000.  It fits perfectly in my small living space and I used its color (a seafoam green) to decorate my house.  Totally different then the browns/blacks I had been seeing all over the place.  She'd barely sat on it and even the one spot she sat you could hardly tell since she was so little!  Best decision ever.

• Like 2

We recently bought a like-new sofa bed from a consignment store.  It was obviously old, based on the colors (brown, cranberry, and hunter green), but it is a teeny-tiny plaid print, so overall it looks like taupe.  But I'm thinking it spent its life sitting in a room that was never ever used (like my mom's "living room" growing up, the one we were never allowed to enter).  It still had the armrest covers, which were crisp and creased, no stains or wear.  I had no concern over bedbugs in this instance (though I still checked it over).  

I would do it again, but I'd check it thoroughly for signs of infestation, either by bedbugs or mice or spiders, and for smells (urine, etc) and stains.  It's easy to find pictures of bedbug  infestations on the internet, so you know what to look for.

• Like 1

Generally my answer is no, but I did buy a loveseat at Goodwill a few years ago. It had just been put out, I scrutinized it carefully by looking under the cushions at the seams, sniff test, everything. The main criteria was it had to fit in my Explorer, which it did. I've had no issues with it, but I did buy upholstery cleaner and clean it thoroughly before using. It's a lighter grey color so any staining would have easily shown. 

It's been a long time since I've bought new upholstered furniture, but we found bargains by going to real furniture stores and checking the clearance area. 

• Like 1

I’m surprised you all have such luck finding stuff. Everything on CL here is obviously WAY past it’s useful life. There was only one furniture consignment store here, and thier prices were along the lines of the brand new stuff at our Grand Furniture outlet. There doesn’t seem to be anything in between. Maybe it’s word of mouth? 

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, SamanthaCarter said:

I’m surprised you all have such luck finding stuff. Everything on CL here is obviously WAY past it’s useful life. There was only one furniture consignment store here, and thier prices were along the lines of the brand new stuff at our Grand Furniture outlet. There doesn’t seem to be anything in between. Maybe it’s word of mouth? 

We have an auction near us that looks like they get their stuff from estate sales. We have founds some great deals there as well and hanging out at the auction is a fun date night. 😃

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SamanthaCarter said:

Find the most expensive neighborhoods in the areas within an hour or two of you.  Study craigslist or similar local options for the garage sale notices, and visit the estate/moving sales in the good neighborhoods for several weekends in a row.  You'll quickly figure out which 1-2 companies get the best houses, get on their mailing lists, and if you really want great deals, go only on the last few hours of the last day (usually 50% off, plus if you buy multiple things you can ask if they'll make you a deal).  These companies have to pay employees to take the stuff that doesn't sell away to donate, so you'll find great deals.  Of course if you want the very newest stuff you must go on the first day when they first open.  I've also found tons of books at sales like this - I'll pick out the 4-5 kids books on my to-buy list, then have the estate sale business owner come over and offer me $10 to take two big boxes of kids books.

Last week I saw a full 12-seat dining set of reproduction chippendale for $200.  It was in good condition and had the armchairs and everything.  If we had a bigger house I would have bought it.

• Like 3

I have gotten several couches used, no problems. When you look at the pictures online, look at what is in the background of the picture: the state of their floors, walls etc. Ask if is is from a smoke-free, pet-free home. Look at what neighbourhood it is from. When you go there, chitchat with the people. Do they seem genuine and kind? Find out why they are getting rid of it. Are they getting rid of all their furniture or just that piece because they got a new one. I think it is unlikely that someone would sell something with bedbugs directly from their home because you would know where they live and could come back to them.

• Like 1

I'm sitting in a leather recliner dh bought for me at the Habitat Restore.  We checked it over carefully and it was spotless.  No dust or dirt under the cushions, even underneath was completely clean no dust or cobwebs or animal fur (which are all there now).  I did wipe it down with Lysol wipes and leave it outside in the sun before bringing it into the house.

• Like 1

The thing with bedbugs is that your house can be spotless and you can still get them and be unaware that you have them for a while. You can bring one in with a suitcase or even a book. My parents library (rural, not remotely close to native climate) had to shut down several weeks due to a bedbug infestation. All they care about is a place to hide with good proximity to a host every couple of weeks or so. So looking at the house and the residents habits is not going to give you much re bedbugs. Still, knowing what to look for around staples and such is a good idea. It’s a bit of roulette, but I’m still thinking the chances are small enough to favor good used furniture over cheap new furniture. 

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 3

I have not bought used, yet.  We have new (custom) sofa and loveseat that are now worn.  We are going to have them reupholstered soon.  However, knowing we need more furniture, I would entertain "preowned" upholstered furniture IF I trust the source aka I wouldn't just buy it from anyone/anywhere.  

We have bought a used leather reclining chair and several wood pieces. Our dining room chairs are upholstered and were bought on Craigslist.

One of my friends has bought two entire living room suites off Craigslist and they are gorgeous. 

We did buy new couches after being unable to find anything used that we liked and was in good shape.  A local furniture store always has a budget couch available that comes with several choices of fabrics, a lifetime warranty on the frame, and a 10 year warranty on the cushions. It was about the same price as an ikea couch I was about to settle on, but more comfortable. 

My cozy, comfy chair I am presently sitting in came from Goodwill. I didn't like the color so I've slip covered it but my goodness, it is so comfortable. DH is presently in the living room sitting in his leather recliner we bought at women's shelter thrift store and my kitchen table and chairs are from Goodwill. The kitchen set was exactly what I was looking for an outstanding price. I love buying things others don't need and giving them new life.

Now that I think about it, we also have 2 dressers bought at second hand shops and a few things from friends and family that I've refinished.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/21/2018 at 7:36 AM, SamanthaCarter said:

The thing with bedbugs is that your house can be spotless and you can still get them and be unaware that you have them for a while. You can bring one in with a suitcase or even a book. My parents library (rural, not remotely close to native climate) had to shut down several weeks due to a bedbug infestation. All they care about is a place to hide with good proximity to a host every couple of weeks or so. So looking at the house and the residents habits is not going to give you much re bedbugs. Still, knowing what to look for around staples and such is a good idea. It’s a bit of roulette, but I’m still thinking the chances are small enough to favor good used furniture over cheap new furniture. 

I'm surprised so many people think that if a house is clean and upper class, it won't have bedbugs. The wealthier a person is, the more likely they are to travel, and traveling means hotels. I'd rather buy from someone like myself who can't afford to go anywhere. 😂

• Haha 1

We buy used furniture all the time.  I think the only item we never bought used was a mattress.  (Although we've inherited several used mattresses from friends and family.)  Nearly every single one of our upholstered pieces we have right now is used.  We buy used, older furniture because it's cheaper and often good quality and because old furniture looks better in our very old house.  We've never had a problem with bed bugs.  I guess it never even occurred to me that we'd have a problem!  But, if I had a bad feeling about the place where we were getting it, then I probably wouldn't get it there. 

I've known lots and lots of people who buy used furniture, and I've never heard of any of them getting bed bugs from it.  I'm sure it happens occasionally, but I think it's pretty unlikely.

On 12/20/2018 at 11:46 AM, happysmileylady said:

I don't buy soft furniture used, but hard furniture that I can wipe down with bleach, I don't have a problem getting used.  The bookshelves in our living room are used, the chairs in our dining room are used, as is the pantry cabinet.   

This is me, too.  Though to be fair, when I was 16, I got a 2-year-old purple corduroy sofa from a boyfriend's neighbor and JUST replaced it about 5 months ago with a nice leather reclining sofa. :biggrin:  

I feel kind of iffy about buying used soft furnishings (tables etc. would be absolutely fine). However, I have a sofa I bought at Ikea 20 years ago. It is pretty much destroyed now but it saw some HEAVY use and held up quite well. So if you can't find something used you feel comfortable with I would get some less expensive pieces like that.