Menu

Prentice Hall Earth Science

(Where did my original post to this go?!)

Anyway... I looked at a friend's old version, and decided I liked the newer one better (you are talking Science Explorer, correct?). I like the (inexpensive) workbooks that go with (I like the way they help to teach ds (11) to take notes, and read for content, by the way that they are organized) the books, and I've heard some say that they like the LabZone DVD.

I haven't seen the teacher editions, but haven't felt as though I needed them.

Hey Grace, it's me again! Are you my twin? :)

Can you tell me the best place to buy PH that has all the workbooks/DVDs, etc? Is everybody just buying them from the Pearson website? I have it on my grade planner (you know, that paper we map out the next 4 years and then revamp continually) to use PH in 6-8 grades, although I'm vacillating between PH & Rainbow.

By the way, any tennis going on? The kids are taking lessons here, & the convenience is unbelievable--they just run down into the mall and out a door onto a pier (sticking out into Victoria Harbour) to the club, and take their lessons. The courts are on top of the club, and I can watch them from our apartment. SPOILED!! :) Oh, and to make it even better, the tennis pro is Portuguese and he and his wife are in our homeschool group! He started "group classes" at noon on a weekday so I could take advantage of the group price. Gee, who knew that only 2 kids would show up? ;)

Thanks for any help or insight you can give into PH.

I was given a copy of this book, but have not used it. It is the book that my school district owns (although probably not the 2006 version?) but does not pass out to the students. Earth Science is one of the two required science classes in New York, the other is biology. The science classes seem to use a Regents Review book as their textbook. Talk about teaching to the test! My daughter is now in chemistry, and a review book is just not enough. I think that she can ask to use one of the unused textbooks, but it happens that we own the chem book too.

If you are familiar with the middle school texts (Science Explorers) it is set up pretty much the same way: For each chapter section: 1. A little "Reading Focus" part 2. the text 3. a short "Assessment Then, for each chapter: 1. "Exploration Lab" 2. a page of "Study Guide" 3. 2 pages of "Assessment" 4. "Standardized Test Prep" There is also a "Inquiry Activity" at the beginning of each chapter.

Could you do without the teacher's book? Maybe, if you are going to use this informally with your student, and probably read it yourself to find answers, if you want to use the questions. If you are doing this as a high school level class, which it is (9th grade), I am sure you need the teacher's book. Maybe you could just get the teacher's book, if you don't mind the answers there. I don't really know what the teacher's book is like.

Let me know if I can answer anything else for you. Sorry that I don't know anything about using the book. This is the first time that I opened it. My son will be in Earth Science in ps next year, so I want to keep my book, or I would give it to you.

Laura

They have a Physical Science: Concepts in Action book that might interest you. It covers Chemistry, Physics, and Earth Science. Having done the Science Explorer chemistry books and now using some of the physics, I noticed that this book is similar and but takes the subjects farther. I am not sure what grade this is used in, but I am betting that it may be ninth grade in districts that don't require earth science, or for an advanced eighth grade. If your son is not fond of science, this might be a good choice. It is set up exactly the same way I described the Earth Science book. I would rather have my children do this than Earth Science, but my daughter went to ps starting in 9th and my son plans to also. Earth Science it is. My daughter struggles terribly in chemistry, and would have had a much easier time if she had done physical science in 9th, instead of Earth Science.

Laura