Menu

What's the weirdest thing you've ordered online?

JIN MOUSA

My girls got a rock tumbler at our family Thanksgiving/Christmas a few weeks ago, and it came with a few rocks to start out with, but not quite enough. So I ordered more rocks from a website, which occurred to me as an odd thing to 1) buy, and 2) buy online. 

And that got me thinking about the years that my dad bought a Christmas tree online. It was 15 to 20 years ago, like when Amazon only sold books and music. There was a tree farm in Minnesota or somewhere that had pictures of every tree while it was still in the ground. And you'd choose the tree you wanted and pay for it. Then they'd chop the tree down, shove it in a box, and ship it you. The tree arrived within 48 hours of being cut down. It was pretty novel/amazing/weird.

And now I'm curious to hear about other odd things people have ordered online. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JIN MOUSA said:

I bet that was a sight on your doorstep! 

We had the craziest delivery saga with that thing! Amazon stuck the shipping label addressed to me on one end of the tube, but did not remove or cross out the original label on the other end that was addressed to them. So UPS would pick it up, scan it to me, and then somewhere along the journey, someone would scan the original Amazon label and send it back to Amazon. Then they'd send it back out again, and the same thing would happen. I ordered it about 10 days before Christmas with Prime 2-day delivery, then tracked it online as it bounced back and forth for a week. Eventually someone at Amazon Customer Service took pity on me and they sent someone to the local UPS depot to figure out what was going on, and I finally received it on the 23rd just in time for Christmas. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

11' deck umbrella?  (it broke down into two pieces - and it came in a box)

mattress?

I've ordered crockery from the UK (I always cringe when I ask what shipping would be)

wedding reception items from china

embroidered embellishment trim from india

• Like 1

When my beloved flip flops maker went out of business, I found a supplier in Japan who had apparently bought a bunch when the company went out of business. So, I ordered two pairs of flip flops to be shipped from Japan. Yes, I paid quite a bit of shipping costs! And it really wasn’t like other online transactions because it was really hard to tell if they were legit, but it was a risk I was willing to take! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I really want to ask WHYYYY to so many of you.   

My life is boring. Books and toys are really the only things that we order. 

I live in a small town with few shopping options. I do live near a city with lots of options, but that requires driving and figuring out which store has what. Plus dragging 3 kids with me just makes shopping more difficult. Online shopping frees up time so I can do things I find much more enjoyable. 

• Like 1

Chickens.

We've also bought mineral feeders for the cattle. They are the large round four foot in diameter trough like things. They are HEAVY! They weigh about 50 pounds and are huge and awkward to move. I felt really sorry for the UPS guy. He had to deliver 3 of them. 

I ordered a milking machine online.

My dad bought a truck off of ebay. 

15 hours ago, Rachel said:

it just doesn’t seem all that weird to order anything online anymore.

This ^^^ I can't think of too many things that are considered weird to order online anymore. I ordered owl pellets for school years ago. I suppose it was weird at the time. We ordered a new key fob for our van, which I used to think you had to get only at a dealership. Dh bought it on Amazon. He's the one to buy weird things more than me. He bought a crossbow a few years back in his Daryl from The Walking Dead phase. It got used exactly twice because it's a pain to drive to where he's allowed to use it. It's sitting in the garage. 

Ordering weird things is not a new online thing. People used to be able to order weird things from catalogs back in the day. Sears Roebuck sold all kinds of things from their catalog and they started the catalog craze. Sears once sold a house you could order from a catalog. I know this only because if you go on one of the horse and carriage rides in St. Augustine they'll take you past the Sears house and tell you about it. 🙂 

https://www.curbed.com/2018/10/16/17984616/sears-catalog-home-kit-mail-order-prefab-housing

https://www.history.com/news/sears-catalog-houses-hubcaps

Edited by Lady Florida.

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

This ^^^ I can't think of too many things that are considered weird to order online anymore. I ordered owl pellets for school years ago. I suppose it was weird at the time. We ordered a new key fob for our van, which I used to think you had to get only at a dealership. Dh bought it on Amazon. He's the one to buy weird things more than me. He bought a crossbow a few years back in his Daryl from The Walking Dead phase. It got used exactly twice because it's a pain to drive to where he's allowed to use it. It's sitting in the garage. 

Ordering weird things is not a new online thing. People used to be able to order weird things from catalogs back in the day. Sears Roebuck sold all kinds of things from their catalog and they started the catalog craze. Sears once sold a house you could order from a catalog. I know this only because if you go on one of the horse and carriage rides in St. Augustine they'll take you past the Sears house and tell you about it. 🙂 

https://www.curbed.com/2018/10/16/17984616/sears-catalog-home-kit-mail-order-prefab-housing

My step-siblings’ grandparents had a Sears house. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Off topic, but I finally learned why Sears started their national catalogue.  Part of it was to allow African-Americans in the south to circumvent the sharecropper shops.  Sears was able to offer door-to-door sales at national low prices, which meant they didn't have to deal with price gouging or having to stand waiting until all the whites were served or get low quality.  And when the post office (which were often part of the general town stores) refused to do business with those who were buying from Sears, Sears instructed buyers to hand their money and order form to their postman directly while he was on his route, since he was legally obligated to take it.  The postmen could buy the money order for them if necessary.
I thought it was pretty cool of them to do that.  But there's your dose of odd daily trivia. 😄

• Like 2