Menu

Compare Friendly Chem & Carbon Chem

Can anyone compare Friendly Chemistry and Ellen McHenry’s Carbon Chemistry? I’ve used CC and FC seems to have some similarities with the home labs, games and printables. What are some other similarities and differences? 

I’m also considering Chem 101, with Happy Atoms & living books.

Thanks!

Edited by Juliegmom

Carbon Chemistry would only cover one aspect of chemistry - organic chemistry. 🙂  Within that, they would need to do a little explaining of bonding but it isn't going to cover all of the topics that a standard high school chemistry course would cover.

In re-reading your question, though, that may not be what you were wondering. 🙂 I don't have any hands-on experience with either curriculum so hopefully someone who does can jump in and give you a comparison. 🙂

I have Carbon Chemistry.  I just bought it.  DD17 plans to use that to finish off her chemistry year.  Do you have a specific question about it?  I could get it off the shelf and look for you.  I've never used the other program, so I can't compare the two.  

I did laugh hysterically when I saw the age range on the cover.  Ages 9-14.  Yeah, right.  Flipping through the book, it looked exactly like what we were studying in organic chemistry in college.  There's no way a 9 year-old is going to get through that book and actually remember it 3 weeks later.  (Sorry, but I'm just trying to be realistic here)

On a positive note, it looks awesome.  Ellen McHenry has a way of taking difficult concepts and explaining them simply.  We've loved every curriculum we've bought from her Basement Workshop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1