Menu

Can I get some recipes?

Daria

For the first time in my 49 years, my mother has agreed to let me cook Christmas dinner at her house.  So, rather than sitting and watching her hobble around the kitchen and refuse my 100 offers of help she tells me she is going to stay out of the kitchen and let me cook everything but dessert.

So, now I need recipes.

Here is the catch.  My mother like to worry about "her" kitchen, and one of the things that makes her anxious is too much stuff in the oven at once.  She is always convinced that X or Y will not fit with the turkey breast.  I think there's plenty of room, but making Mom worry is not the goal, so I need stove top recipes for everything but the actual turkey breast.

Anyone have good stove top recipes for

Carrots and parsnips (my mother has requested these two foods prepared together)

Either brussel sprouts or broccoli

Stuffing?  (is stuffing made on the top of the stove, that isn't "Stove Top" a dream?)

Also, any great suggestions on how to cook a turkey breast?

Carrots and parsnips (my mother has requested these two foods prepared together)

1. Make a mash, with or without potatoes. Add caramelized onions to the top.

2. Simmer them in orange juice. When they get soft, add honey and a bit of salt and reduce the liquid until it's a glaze.

Either brussel sprouts or broccoli

1. Halve the brussels sprouts, and notch the cores halfway up. Meanwhile, chop some bacon into bits and panfry it. After the bacon has cooked a bit, drain off most of the oil, add the sprouts (the bacon stays in the pan!) and cook until the sprouts are brown on the cut side. Flip them over, cook a little longer. Remove from stove, let cool, add salt and pepper and then mix in some sour cream.

2. Grate the broccoli stems, make a slaw.

Also, any great suggestions on how to cook a turkey breast?

Don't. Shelve it and cook a duck instead. Either way, brine that sucker well before putting it in the oven.

I have made turkey breast in a crock pot - is that a possibility? I pour melted butter on it, salt and pepper, a few cups of water. 

I agree with regentrude that brussels sprouts are good with pecans and maple syrup. I usually roast them in the oven, but I guess I could sauté them if the oven was not available. 

I also have a vegetable steamer appliance, so I would do carrots in that, but you probably don’t have one. 

I don’t know any way to do stuffing on the stove top except to use the StoveTop box mix. 

My sister always did her stuffing in the crock pot.  When I moved to a house with only one oven, I did too.  It works great. Saute your onions, meat if using, etc, on the stove then mix all the ingredients together and put in the crockpot. She told me to cook it for about 4 hours, which I believe is equivalent to an hour in the oven.

I would steam the carrots and parsnips, then sautee them at the very end in butter and add some seasonings, thyme maybe?  Add some toasted pecans at the end.

No ideas on the other stuff.

Have fun!

I make a sheet pan chicken and vegetable meal that is so, so yummy.

So I say cook the carrots and parsnips WITH the turkey.

Put the turkey on a rack over a roasting pan or sheet pan and cook it however you normally do. If it were me, I would be rubbing it with butter mixed with a mix of chopped rosemary, sage, and thyme (I buy a fresh herb mix at the store called the "poultry mix" that has these three herbs in one package). Cook as normal.

In the meantime (or, even better, several hours earlier in the day), peel and chop the veggies. I would add big chunks of onion and potatoes to the carrots and parsnips, unless you don't like them. Put the veggies in a gallon baggie, add a little olive oil and salt, and chop up some of the same poultry herbs and throw them in there and rub the bag until everything is coated. Marinate for a few hours.

About 45-50 minutes before the turkey is due to be out of the oven, just throw the veggies in the bottom of the pan that is under the turkey. If there are a lot of drippings already in there, you may want to drain that off (save it for gravy or use for basting), so that the veggies are not swimming in liquid. Let the veggies and turkey cook together for the remainder of the cooking time.

That way you are not actually taking up extra space in the oven, and you can use your stove top to prepare the other dishes.

When I do this on a sheet pan, I use chicken thighs. It is so good.

Have you ever spatchcocked your turkey? Combine that search and “sheet pan thanksgiving” and you might get all the recipes you need. Spatchcocking flattens it enough that it cooks so quickly that it doesn’t dry out and takes less vertical space in the oven. Your mom might not object to putting two flat sheet pans in the oven and you can easily do an entire meal like that. 

Years ago I did Rachel Ray’s Thanksgiving in 60.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/food-network-specials/episodes/rachael-rays-thanksgiving-in-60 It was a real time saver and I’ve used the turkey recipe and the pumpkin soup recipe a lot over the years. 

With a hovering, nervous mom I’d probably do as much prep at home as possible. I’d precook anything that reheats well and pre-chop everything. I’m much more efficient in my home kitchen so this could really streamline things.