Menu

What's with the ads?

Æthelthryth the Texan

Package thief vs glitter bomb

This is so fantastic I want to cry 😂 I have had so many boxes stolen and have to literally rush back when I get a delivery text to get it before the friendly neighborhood porch pirates do. Watching the second guy get glitter all over him was so beautiful.

I am truly astonished at the brazenness of porch pirates to just walk away with other people’s deliveries. I LOVE this! 

I would definitely order something like this if it were available and I could afford it. I bet my local police department would love to see my videos. 😂

• Like 2

Just now, whitehawk said:

Wow.

That's quite an investment. I hope it deterred those people from doing it again.

I hope it led to charges being filed. Some of those fools to that device right into their own homes, where it collected and deposited evidence of their crime. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, sassenach said:

This was so, so good. Watched it with my 16yo and we laughed till we cried.

My 15 yo and I just watched it and we had the same reaction.

As an aside to the general awesomeness of the video, I also appreciate that this guy is a great NASA scientist role model for DS. :). 

• Like 5

There was a local news clip last night about neighbors who ran down and tackled package thieves.  Which worked out well for them but not for the thief.  They were called heroes but that might not be the safest way to handle it. 

• Like 1

I live this so freakin hard right now.

Our subdivision is being absolutely terrorized by Porch Thieves this year. I mean, it’s truly been awful. Going through mailboxes, too. And most of us have cameras attached to our front doors and have footage — but he isn’t an idiot and has obviously staked out best angles. 

I want a glitter bomb

1 hour ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I want to see these people explain away the glitter to their family.

Well, we were at the strip club and then things took a horrible turn..... next thing we knew there was glitter exploding everywhere and as we ran out we were surrounded by a herd of flatulent cows.  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

2 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Well, we were at the strip club and then things took a horrible turn..... next thing we knew there was glitter exploding everywhere and as we ran out we were surrounded by a herd of flatulent cows.  😂

Seems legit.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, AimeeM said:

I live this so freakin hard right now.

Our subdivision is being absolutely terrorized by Porch Thieves this year. I mean, it’s truly been awful. Going through mailboxes, too. And most of us have cameras attached to our front doors and have footage — but he isn’t an idiot and has obviously staked out best angles. 

I want a glitter bomb

I just don't live this experience at all. I need to be more grateful.

If things are misdelivered, people turn up with them to the correct address.

We once had someone turn up at our door with a package of ours  that was delivered to them by mistake - they drove about 25 min to bring it to us. It would have been an hour round trip for them all up.

We've never ever had a package stolen and have no need for cameras.

I really need to count my blessings about where I live. Do we live in a weird bubble? I've lived in several different suburbs and never ever had a package stolen.

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

We once had someone turn up at our door with a package of ours  that was delivered to them by mistake - they drove about 25 min to bring it to us. It would have been an hour round trip for them all up.

I really need to count my blessings about where I live. Do we live in a weird bubble? I've lived in several different suburbs and never ever had a package stolen.

Hope I’m not jinxing it, but it’s like that too where I live. But. I live in the country. When I lived in a suburb we had to have locking mailboxes or you’d get your post stolen. 

• Like 1

This is our experience too. We live in a small town. (Not a subdivision) We were gone for a week over Thanksgiving and came home to 3 packages on the front porch. They'd been there for at least a couple days. Not very easy to see from the road though.

3 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Hope I’m not jinxing it, but it’s like that too where I live. But. I live in the country. When I lived in a suburb we had to have locking mailboxes or you’d get your post stolen. 

I'm in a major city (over 2 million people) and I've lived in inner suburbs and outer suburbs - no package stealing, ever. Maybe I'm just lucky? I'd love to hear if the other Australians have similar experiences or if I'm just truly in a luck bubble.

1 minute ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I'm in a major city (over 2 million people) and I've lived in inner suburbs and outer suburbs - no package stealing, ever. Maybe I'm just lucky? I'd love to hear if the other Australians have similar experiences or if I'm just truly in a luck bubble.

My friends in Melbourne and Perth had parcels stolen on occasion (inner suburbs) and they think it is more likely a prank (or a dare) than robbery. 

My front door faces a main corridor of my condo complex and thankfully we only had a vacuum cleaner delivery from Amazon go missing. We were home all day and it was more likely that it was never delivered than stolen from our front door. 

My neighbors whose front doors are not easily visible from the common corridors tend to lose more parcels. I think thieves calculate the risk of surveillance cameras when they decide whose front door to target. 

Man we haven’t had any packages stolen (knock on wood) but if it was a problem I could so see my family making something like this.  Serves those rotten bastards right for stealing from others shamelessly.  That makes me SO MAD.

My sister lives on a mountain (in a neighborhood) in the Denver area and has specifically requested that all gifts coming in the mail go to her DH's work because this is a HUGE problem there.  

I haven't ever had a package stolen here either.  In our previous location, we didn't have any problem, but I know others in the neighborhood did have that problem.  Our front door and porch there was rather hidden by some overgrown old landscaping that we had no intention of fixing.  

This also makes me seriously tempted to have a package drop slot in the house, like the kind they shove mail into in the lobby of the post office.  Anything not oversized would be safe.

Going back to the video, did anyone else get left with the impression that the last person kept the package? I thought perhaps the spray finally ran out? (He'd still have the GPS coordinates, but I don't know if he'd go there & ask for the package back.)

It really is too bad that the police (where he is) won't do anything about these with clear video evidence. I like to think that if this happened in our town that our local police force (sheriff & deputies, actually) would visit the GPS coordinates with the video (from the surveillance camera and the fake package) loaded on their phones.

On the topic of what they told their families, I wonder if some of the families already knew and were complicit. Think of that "couple" that stole the first package that kicked this all off. . . 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Going back to the video, did anyone else get left with the impression that the last person kept the package? I thought perhaps the spray finally ran out? (He'd still have the GPS coordinates, but I don't know if he'd go there & ask for the package back.)

It really is too bad that the police (where he is) won't do anything about these with clear video evidence. I like to think that if this happened in our town that our local police force (sheriff & deputies, actually) would visit the GPS coordinates with the video (from the surveillance camera and the fake package) loaded on their phones.

On the topic of what they told their families, I wonder if some of the families already knew and were complicit. Think of that "couple" that stole the first package that kicked this all off. . . 

I thought the same thing on the last one. That guy didn't seem deterred in the least. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I'm on a dead end in a part of a large metro area.  I've never had a package stolen, but my daughter has.  she's on a busier street.   

misdirected boxes, yes . . . . and ontrac not delivering boxes- but saying they were, yes . . .

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

it's often a "family activity".   my mother was in a security condo in a downtown area - the adults would just lift the kids over the fence, so they could go to the gate and open it.

• Sad 4

This was great. What I still can’t get over is how offended all the thieves seemed to be that someone would do this to them. Dude, you just stole from someone!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Meriwether said:

I'm really disturbed by how many people are willing to steal from others.

Me too! I mean isn’t that one of the first rules you learn as a kid, don’t take other kids toys?  With stealing packages you have no idea if you are getting toilet paper or electronics. I don’t understand why anyone would steal, but especially when it’s a gamble as to what they are stealing.

• Like 2

Our local police have started stashing decoy packages on various porches trying to capture the package thiefs.  (Or at least deter them since they know the police are monitoring some of the packages)  I have not personally had a problem. But we have a big problem locally so it may just be a matter of time.

8 hours ago, Meriwether said:

and the number of times you hear of them stealing from low-income  charity groups presents meant for low-income kids.

they have no scruples.   bank dye-packs are red ink - and it doesn't come out.  these morons should be grateful it's only glitter.

• Like 3

One of the things that I love about this, is the use of glitter. LOL  If you have ever had glitter get into your car, it takes for.ev.er to get out.  My daughter wore a tutu with gold glitter one year for halloween. There is still glitter in her car after 3 detailings. I detail my families cars as a 'gift' to them once in a while. I am very, very detailed(includes shampooing seats/carpets) and there is still glitter in that dang car. I think I get it clean and then, sure enough a month later more shows up. It is the exact same gold glitter, so it isn't like she is getting new glitter in there. 

I really hope the air conditioning was on, so the glitter got in the air system.  Every few days...poof!! 💨 a few new sparkles break free and remind them of the mess. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

13 hours ago, Meriwether said:

I am not.  The amount of shoplifting that goes on in your average drug store/convenience store....wow.  Multiple times a day, every day.  Most often it was just stuff like a candy bar.  But everything from $60 perfume or cologne, to cans and cans of baby formula that gets sold on CL, Tide...bizarrely, Tide is stolen often enough that many places have to actually LOCK UP Tide.   Once, I heard the front door ding, walked to the front, saw this guy by the perfume.  I asked "can I help you" and he looks at me, grabs one of those tester bottles, shoved it in his pants and walked out.  Right in front of me, cause obviously, this little 5'2" chick who is in the store all by herself is NOT chasing some dude down for a perfume tester (and CVS fires employees for trying to stop shoplifters anyway.)

There are a lot of amoral people in this world.  

• Sad 3

8 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

I am not.  The amount of shoplifting that goes on in your average drug store/convenience store....wow.  Multiple times a day, every day.  Most often it was just stuff like a candy bar.  But everything from $60 perfume or cologne, to cans and cans of baby formula that gets sold on CL, Tide...bizarrely, Tide is stolen often enough that many places have to actually LOCK UP Tide.   Once, I heard the front door ding, walked to the front, saw this guy by the perfume.  I asked "can I help you" and he looks at me, grabs one of those tester bottles, shoved it in his pants and walked out.  Right in front of me, cause obviously, this little 5'2" chick who is in the store all by herself is NOT chasing some dude down for a perfume tester (and CVS fires employees for trying to stop shoplifters anyway.)

sil had a friend who worked upscale dept store security.  she's very skinny on a good day.   she was six months pregnant when she chased down a shoplifter.  nailed him too.  did I mention she has a black belt in karate?  so what if he was a big guy.  the cops came and hauled him off to jail - and made sure every other inmate knew this big dude was nailed by a pregnant woman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/18/2018 at 8:16 PM, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I think that most people do not have packages stolen. You just hear about it when someone does because it’s a lousy thing to do. Also, thieves like convenience and won’t make a long trip out to a single residence. Quiet neighborhoods during the work day are probably an easy, convenient target. 

I live in a suburb between D.C. and Baltimore and I’ve never had a package taken. I’ve even left things on my front porch for days kind of wishing they’d be stolen (whole ‘nother story) and nobody touched them. 

My cul-de-sac is boring and doesn’t generate much foot traffic aside from the people who live here. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

True. I was listening to the County DA on the radio a couple months ago saying how she was shopping at Macy’s and a guy ran out the door with an armload of clothes and the manager chasing after him yelling, “Sir, did you pay for that?” If it’s under a certain dollar amount the criminal charges are not that high and by the time the police get there the criminal is long gone. It is appalling.

We’ve never had a package stolen, either. And this is the first year a neighbor has reported having a package stolen. My kid’s bike has been laying on the front lawn for 3 days now. No one has stolen that, either.

They were talking about the glitter package on the radio yesterday, and mentioned another family just filled a fake package with dog doody.  That might be a fun surprise for porch pirates, too.