Menu

Math Mammoth just as good as RightStart?

Raeof5

I'm due with baby #6 in April and im feeling an overwhelming urge to simplify our day but I don't want to do do at the expense of my child. 

Right now she's doing RS Lvl B but if like to switch to MM. My hesitation is that she likes math and I really want her to be strong with mental math and the why behind things. Will MM do that? Is it on par with the math foundation she'll get with RS? We also started supplementing with Beast Academy 2A which she loves. Thanks!

I believe so. We've used MM for quite a few years and I like that they teach the why behind things before the actual "formulaic" part. For instance in multiplication, you add sets first, then it says "Hey, that thing that you're doing--it's actually multiplication and you can do it like this instead". (can you tell we're on the beginning multiplication part? :) )  It also teaches and encourages mental math and has certain sections that the directions are "do these mentally" (or some such wording). 

• Like 1

I believe MM is as strong of a program as RS, maybe stronger. It absolutely teaches the “why” behind the math. There is less focus on mental math in MM as compared to RS.

BA can also be used as the primary curriculum if it fits your kid. It is very focused on concepts, and includes several strategies for mental math as it progresses.

• 2 weeks later...

My oldest absolutely hated MM after doing RS A-E. I don't know if it was the format or the content. We ended up going to Singapore the following year, but she never loved anything the way she did RightStart. I know so many people have great success with MM, but that was not our experience.

• Like 1

My children did RS for K-2, and disliked MM after that. Part of it was because it was worksheet based, and partly because they did math alone instead of with mom. I don’t think MM explains the “why” of math as well as RS. That said, the hands on method becomes cumbersome when they start learning division, and I found switching programs was more of a benefit than not.