Menu

Translating Spanish for kids

Sarah0000

I need some kind of independent Spanish output for my first grader that is not a basic fill in the blank type workbook (because boring and too easy). Is there something like Minimus but in Spanish? Or maybe a workbook with very simple comprehension questions? Any other ideas?

I have other things I do but I need something straightforward but still engaging to keep up a daily Spanish routine. Computer and video programs just don't happen regularly around here. Books happen regularly.

1 hour ago, Sarah0000 said:

I need some kind of independent Spanish output for my first grader that is not a basic fill in the blank type workbook (because boring and too easy). Is there something like Minimus but in Spanish? Or maybe a workbook with very simple comprehension questions? Any other ideas?

I have other things I do but I need something straightforward but still engaging to keep up a daily Spanish routine. Computer and video programs just don't happen regularly around here. Books happen regularly.

Do you know of/have access to Muzzy?

Muzzy seems to cover a lot of the topics/themes found in a Language 101 class, minus the verb work and grammar-drill and there is a kit with books in it at our library. So you could probably copy and translate the comic pages.

Look in your library and see if they have translations of an Easy Readers/Early Readers. Things like Dr. Seuss or similar.

A Teacher friend gave us a bunch of Spanish language RAZ kids books--The English language easy readers that get translated are easy to understand Spanish books, even if the vocabulary is know longer 'easy to read' from a phonics point of view. 

25 minutes ago, Gil said:

Do you know of/have access to Muzzy?

Muzzy seems to cover a lot of the topics/themes found in a Language 101 class, minus the verb work and grammar-drill and there is a kit with books in it at our library. So you could probably copy and translate the comic pages.

Look in your library and see if they have translations of an Easy Readers/Early Readers. Things like Dr. Seuss or similar.

A Teacher friend gave us a bunch of Spanish language RAZ kids books--The English language easy readers that get translated are easy to understand Spanish books, even if the vocabulary is know longer 'easy to read' from a phonics point of view. 

I'm not sure about Muzzy, I'll have to check. We do read easy readers and do associated activities when I prepare stuff but then I focus on some other subject and my mental energy goes towards those things. I need something open and go but preferably still somewhat comprehensive as far as skills building for those times. Otherwise Spanish tends to get dropped then I have a bunch of review to do and conversation skills in particular never become firm. 

One of the libraries near me has an online Muzzy account, maybe you could find one near you.

If you speak some Spanish you might check out "El español con juegos y actividades (nivel elemental)" It is a little workbook, but not so bad as some. The focus is vocabulary (lots!), with a short grammar lesson in each chapter.

"First grade, independent, non-computer, not a workbook but with output" is eliminating some large swathes! I assume Duolingo or Memrise are out then? YouTube tv shows? 

We like Sapo y Sepo (Frog and Toad) books, but they aren't really beginner friendly from a verb tense point of view. Also Geronimo Stilton - which I refuse in English. Both are obviously translations, but the familiarity (or mindless predictability) of the story is helpful for new learners.

At one point I found a Bilingual Reading Comprehension book from "Frank Schaffer Publications" (grade 3, but that is irrelevant here) each page has an English reading comprehension passage on the top half and an activity on the bottom, lots of variety. The back of the page is exactly the same thing in Spanish. So the entire visible page is in Spanish only, and there are activity prompts or comprehension questions. This thing is old (Pluto is a planet), simplistic, and surely the Spanish is second rate (Sorry Frank!) But if you can find a copy it might serve your purposes. 146 pages and hey! There are answers back here, I did not realize that.

Apologies for the stream of consciousness organization of my phone-post.

14 minutes ago, Sarah0000 said:

I'm not sure about Muzzy, I'll have to check. We do read easy readers and do associated activities when I prepare stuff but then I focus on some other subject and my mental energy goes towards those things. I need something open and go but preferably still somewhat comprehensive as far as skills building for those times. Otherwise Spanish tends to get dropped then I have a bunch of review to do and conversation skills in particular never become firm. 

I think that that may be your problem more than anything else. Less is more sometimes. This seems like one of those times. 

Just get a normal book and have her read, copy and translate 1 sentence. Then 2, then 3....work your way up to paragraphs and eventually (middle school possibly) pages.

3 hours ago, Sarah0000 said:

I don't know about yours but our library has a small collection of SPN picture books with audio. Both cassettes and CDs. You can also look on YouTube for audiobooks and read-alouds. Rip the audio from MP3 and save it as a cassette or CD for your kid(s).

If your library doesn't have SPN audiobooks then would you be able to hunt around on eBay and put together a small collection of Spanish books for your kid(s). Then all you have to do is sit down in the evenings and read the books into tape for her and bam: A batch of new-to-her books all in Spanish and each with an accompanying audiobook/read aloud tape.

Walmart still sells 1990s cassette recorders/players so yes, you can make them and no you don't need a ton of special software.

Can your kid read in Spanish? Since she likes books, maybe you should invest in some high-interest books in Spanish only.

Thanks everyone. I have some Spanish picture books and he does fairly well reading them but his comprehension is zilch unless I'm translating. Getting Started With Spanish looks like something I can use orally during our morning basket time so that would get done routinely with little effort. But I had the idea to write out vocabulary and question prompts to go along with Mep Reception, which I already have in a binder, so he could practice putting very simple sentences together to describe what he sees in the pictures. 

I have been using these Spanish fables with my 5, 7 and 9 year olds.  We view them as pdf's on the computer, but you could print out the slides, or the activity packs include two easily printable versions of the stories (one with pictures and one without).  There are various comprehension activities for each fable: true and false, short answer, put the story in order, etc.

Wendy

I bought old school readers in Spanish (dual immersion schools use them, so old editions are cheap) and then moved into Spanish kids books of different lengths, up to about the Harry Potter level, at which time I bought her a subscription to Reader’s Digest in Spanish.

3 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

I bought old school readers in Spanish (dual immersion schools use them, so old editions are cheap) and then moved into Spanish kids books of different lengths, up to about the Harry Potter level, at which time I bought her a subscription to Reader’s Digest in Spanish.

This sounds interesting.  How would I search for something like this?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, wendyroo said:

I have been using these Spanish fables with my 5, 7 and 9 year olds.  We view them as pdf's on the computer, but you could print out the slides, or the activity packs include two easily printable versions of the stories (one with pictures and one without).  There are various comprehension activities for each fable: true and false, short answer, put the story in order, etc.

Wendy

Those look great! What did you do with your kids before starting them? 

I forgot that I had The Fun Spanish so I pulled that out. He did several lessons in a row and thinks it's funny. Each lesson has a sentence to translate with vocab provided. He was even making up his own sentences with the vocab. I also purchased Speaking Spanish With Miss Mason as something quick and easy to do each day.