Menu

Any schools that fit this description?

musicianmom

1. A serious, top-notch touring choir that is open to non-music majors by audition

2. Located in the South

3. Conservative, or at least enough political diversity that a conservative student would be able to find their niche 

4. Good merit aid available

Edited by musicianmom

Eastern Mennonite University in Harrisonburg VA. It is a very socially justice focused conservatism, and Harrisonburg somehow manages to be both conservative and kind of have a Hippy vibe at the same time, but I think aomeone like a Baptist or non-denominational Conservative would probably find it comfortable, and the choirs are first rate-and open to everyone (some do have auditions) because Mennonites practically come out of the womb singing in multi-part, acapella harmony. Harrisonburg also has a first rate amateur choral society, which has toured internationally. With two really, really strong music schools in one fairly small city, the environment for serious amateurs is great.

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 2

EMU even has performance scholarships for non-majors for their top 3 choirs 🙂 https://emu.edu/financial-aid/departmental-scholarships. They look to have some decent merit aid overall. 

To get some idea of the reputation of EMU (and the affiliated high school) when I started at a college halfway across the USA, the vocal director of the college tracked me down because he’d noticed I was from Harrisonburg and immediately assumed that I could sing, and sing well-even though I’d applied and auditioned as a saxophonist/clarinetist. 

• Haha 1

On 12/17/2018 at 2:34 PM, musicianmom said:

3. Conservative, or at least enough political diversity that a conservative student would be able to find their niche 

Except for very small schools, I've never seen a university that didn't have a fair amount of political diversity and a niche for almost any student interest. If you're looking at mid-size schools (over 5,000 students) you likely don't have to worry about it. Schools with 1,000 to 2,000 students are much more likely to have one prevailing culture but that doesn't mean they aren't accepting of other students and viewpoints. Once you get down to just a few hundred students, I do think you need to be comfortable with the prevailing culture unless you are a very independent and thick-skinned person.