Menu

What do I need to know about buying a light for SAD?

Tap

What information do I need to know about before I invest in a light for dd? We know that sunshine really, really helps her feel better in the summer, so we want to try and see if we can recreate a smidge of that in our gloomy PNW winter.  I am just not sure what I really need to know, so we don't waste time and money on something that doesn't do anything for her. We know it won't fix her problems, but are hoping for even a slight uptick in her energy levels. 

Fwiw, my friend who has a sleep phase disorder got one of those lights that people talked about here on the boards, and she found it too strong. Hmm, if she's not going to use it, maybe she'd bring it for me! I SO need some light since we went to all clouds, oy. I've gone to Florida during the winter, which helps. I'm doing a bit better now that I'm on a generous D but I'm still feeling it. Actually I had to UP my D. I had been taking 10k IU a day during the summer, and my labs were great and my energy and vavoom ok (considering I also have low thyroid we're working on, lol). I've been upping it to 14-15k the last few days to see how that goes and also eating some natural sources like D. Maybe my real problem is I was doing a lot of walking at Disney while I was in Florida, and walking at Disney is probably medicinal in more ways... :biggrin:   

5 hours ago, Tap said:

What information do I need to know about before I invest in a light for dd? We know that sunshine really, really helps her feel better in the summer, so we want to try and see if we can recreate a smidge of that in our gloomy PNW winter.  I am just not sure what I really need to know, so we don't waste time and money on something that doesn't do anything for her. We know it won't fix her problems, but are hoping for even a slight uptick in her energy levels. 

Hope others chime in. I’m in need of one of these too.

I have this one, which looks like it isn't made anymore, but it really really really helps. REALLY helps. I use it for about 20 minutes in the morning. Biggest issue is remembering to turn it on. (actually, thank you for this post because it reminded me to turn it on, lol)

15 minutes ago, scholastica said:

I’ve been reading up on this and what I have gathered so far is that it needs to be 10,000 LUX to be effective. Then it needs to be used 20-30 minutes per day. 

This is what I found on a thread a couple years back when I was looking for one. I ended up with a Verilux from Amazon that was about $60 and I do think it helps. In fact, it's shining on me right now 🙂

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PCN4UVU?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

This is the one my doctor recommended. It arrived yesterday so I haven’t used it yet. 

Apparently one of things to look for in addition to 10K lux is for the light to shine more down on you than up in your face. This one has a stand that elevates it a bit. 

But i haven’t used it yet! I’ll come back once I have. Doc said 20 minutes every morning. 

That's interesting!! My friend is going to bring her lamp, and I was thinking we could play around with it and see if we could position it to function like the Carex, hmm.