Menu

Elderberry syrup funny

Tenaj

I've been buying elderberry syrup for years and last year started making my own based on directions here.  All my kids like the new version and willingly take it at the first sign of a cold except for my 15yods. 

There's been a cold making it's way through the family the past few weeks.  Everyone has been able to fight it off after a few days except the 15yo.  He took a turn backwards today and it seemed it might be a sinus infection, so we did a online dr. conference through our insurance. 

She decided he didn't need antibiotics at this point but asked him . . . If he had ever heard of taking elderberry syrup!  I started doing a jig in the next room while my dh cracked up on the video conference!  She's been a skeptic until this year when she's seen it work a lot. 

My 15yo is now taking his dose of elderberry syrup 🙂

Edited by JanOH
  • Like 6
  • Haha 13

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

Don't you just love it when someone else besides Mom tells the kid the same thing and they finally believe you?

Somehow mom doesn't know what she's talking about... 😕

I've had that happen with DH and the kids in regards to drinking plenty of water and taking baths with Epsom salts. When I tell my kids to do one of those (or, for that matter, have some elderberry syrup), I get an eye roll. Someone else tells them, suddenly it's a good thing to do.

• Like 3

https://wellnessmama.com/1888/elderberry-syrup/

This is the recipe I've been using but I don't put the spices in it, just the elderberries and raw honey.  My kids just don't like the extra spiceness.  It seems to be working without the extra.

The doctor last night told my husband we had a nice little test group going in our house.  Six kids at home, sniffles going around, all take elderberry syrup except one who ends up getting worse instead of better.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, JanOH said:

This is the recipe I've been using but I don't put the spices in it, just the elderberries and raw honey.  My kids just don't like the extra spiceness.  It seems to be working without the extra.

The doctor last night told my husband we had a nice little test group going in our house.  Six kids at home, sniffles going around, all take elderberry syrup except one who ends up getting worse instead of better.  

Would you (or anyone!) mind sharing how you use the syrup, both as a preventative and then when signs of sniffles comes along?

I had a cold coming on last week and only had the elderberry pills so I took them every 3 hours for the first two days. No difference. 😔 I’ll be heading in to the dr today for a likely sinus infection. But I’d love to start taking the syrup daily as a preventative! 

• Like 1

Ha  I love it.  Sort of.  I mean my kids do the same thing.  i tell them x and they don't listen.  A teacher or doctor tells them x and then it is the best thing in the world.   Why do I even bother? 

We do elderberry everyday in our house during cold and flu season.   We make our own and the kids drink a lot of it.  It really does help for us.   Either they don't get sick or it prevents it from getting down in their lungs and getting a cough that lasts forever, which always used to happen for them. 

• Like 2

Elderberry syrup is like magic.  Unfortunately DD has gagged over it since she was a little girl.  One time I secretly put a tablespoon in a large glass of orange juice.  She gave it right back to me and said with eyes of fire, "You put elderberry in this."  

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, mmasc said:

Would you (or anyone!) mind sharing how you use the syrup, both as a preventative and then when signs of sniffles comes along?

I had a cold coming on last week and only had the elderberry pills so I took them every 3 hours for the first two days. No difference. 😔 I’ll be heading in to the dr today for a likely sinus infection. But I’d love to start taking the syrup daily as a preventative! 

The doctor's advise was to take a tablespoon four times a day while ill and one tablespoon a day as preventative. 

My method is to take a tablespoon or two every hour or so when I feel or think I feel ill,  or when my kids are ill.  So I way overdose according to the doctor but it is a fruit and we've never had any bad effects from taking that much.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, goldberry said:

Elderberry syrup is like magic.  Unfortunately DD has gagged over it since she was a little girl.  One time I secretly put a tablespoon in a large glass of orange juice.  She gave it right back to me and said with eyes of fire, "You put elderberry in this."  

That's hilarious.  I didn't try elderberry syrup until last year, when I hated it, even mixed into juice. Everyone else in the family loves it. I didn't realize I was pregnant at the time.  I wonder if I could tolerate it now.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, JanOH said:

The doctor's advise was to take a tablespoon four times a day while ill and one tablespoon a day as preventative. 

My method is to take a tablespoon or two every hour or so when I feel or think I feel ill,  or when my kids are ill.  So I way overdose according to the doctor but it is a fruit and we've never had any bad effects from taking that much.

That's about what I take when sick, every two hours.  The key is to take it when you even sort of suspect anything (throat a little scratchy,etc).  I combine with Kick Ass Immune.  The earlier you take it the better it works. The times I have taken it after full on sick it didn't do very much.  I only take it as a preventative if someone in the house is sick.  

Adding, I tried the pills but they didn't seem to work as well as extract or syrup.

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JanOH said:

I really need to try this.  The kind I buy is expensive!

27 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I make a tincture and use 1 tsp/hour when I start feeling sick. I used to force my family to take it but they don't like it so instead they watch me get better within 24 hours and they suffer for days. Whatever.

When you say "tincture" is that different from syrup?