Menu

How to Help DS with Study Skills

DS took 2 community college courses this fall.  He got a 95 in composition, but he really struggled in economics.  His test scores were all in the 70s (typically right at the class average).  He is hoping that with a 100 for participation, a group project, and 5 points of extra credit added to final grade, he will end up with a B in the class.

He did read and take notes on each chapter before class, and he completed the study guide for each test.  The tests were multiple choice so I’m not sure why he struggled.

He is taking comp 2, government, and chem for non science majors next semester.  We’re planning to go to the library on Saturdays to work on study skills.      How can I help him?  

It will be very important that he knows how to study and make A’s because he has some college scholarships that will require a certain GPA to maintain.

Reviewing notes after each class. Setting up a study period for the class each day (maybe you already know he doesn’t cram all the study into a week or two, but a lot of kids do).

Maybe his notes could be better? If he is friendly with any students with the higher grades, asking if he could compare their notes after class might be helpful. For students who are used to having everything be in the book, it can be hard to get used to classes where a lot of information is only given in class and note taking and studying mainly notes is essential.

Learning to engage with the book more than just completing the study guide Is important (outlining the text, asking self questions about the text). It seems like a common strategy for students is reading the material over and over, which can actually work sometimes, until it doesn’t. Even a multiple choice test can be written so that deeper understanding is required to answer the questions. 

• Like 1

I suggest you read this thread on studying physics.  Shawthorne44's list of to-do items is very similar to what my dc does in all courses, with resulting As.   

In addition, dc always sits in the front row.  This reduces distractions during class, resulting in better notes, and it usually surrounds dc with fairly serious students.  Dc makes sure to greet the students on either side and in the row behind to increase familiarity; that way, if a study group is desired or if dc needs to take a photo of someone's notes because of absence, it's easier to find smart students to ask.  Also, when students are allowed to pick their own group project partners, they usually pick those who sit around them because that's who they've spoken with before; it's better to surround oneself with students who really want to learn and do well.

Edited by klmama
typos
  • Like 5

I got drafted to teach a middle school study skills class at co-op this year and used Oakley's Learning how to Learn.  It's written to teens so he'd probably find it to be a quick read, but it's got all sorts of tips and ideas.  It backs up everything with neurobiology, so students seemed to buy in a bit more than they do to the usual 'study skills tips'.  

• Like 1

Can he make an appointment with the instructor and ask the instructor for suggestions and also a chance to review the test ?

There are some excellent books on study skills, but it would help to know what went wrong.

Often a key is self testing on the material—not just reading and taking notes, but rather some much more active review like making flash cards, working problems .  Reading and notes makes it easy to think, oh yeah, I know that.  But active recall goes beyond that.  

• Like 3

Even some good students struggle with multiple choice tests. Personally, I never do as well on them. 

Random ideas to help with study skills: 

• take notes by hand, then type them up the same day
  • pay close attention to the syllabus and how certain assignments are weighted
  • sit towards the front. I find students not paying attention distracting to my own attention span
  • check with the campus for tutoring sessions, either group or individual, and attend sessions. I did supplemental instruction for a history course for 5 semesters. It was always the good students that came, not the ones who really needed the tutoring. 
  • *Important* Meet with the professor within the first few weeks of class. I made this a habit as a undergraduate. Now, as a TA it's easier to guide individual students when I understand why they're in the class, get a glimpse into their personality a bit. It creates an introduction and I've noticed it's easier for those students to reach out when they have questions.
    • If he's intimidated to meet with professors I would write up a checklist of questions like
      • what part of this course do you think students struggle with most?
      • What do you wish more students would do while taking your class? 
      • what is the most fun part for you to teach?
      • I have a question about [something from the lecture that week], can you clarify or help me understand? 

It's also important to track his grade throughout the semester. Some courses are easy because all the grades are entered online. Some professors do not use those tools, so keep track of grades by using the syllabus. If assignments are not being returned in a timely manner, meet with the professor before mid-terms to get an idea of where their grade in the class is. The end of the semester is not the time for a student who needs a certain GPA for a scholarship to approach the professor about how to improve a grade - I know students who have done that, ones that didn't bother to either check their grades online or meet with the professor before the final. 

• Like 2