Menu

get rid of cough?

HollyDay

It can depend on the underlying reason for the cough. 

If it is a simple winter cold with cough, a nighttime cold and flu formula (Vick’s or similar) with cough suppressant would likely  work. I have an herbal formula liquid with mullein, Indian Cherry, horehound, honey and other herbs that usually/often helps me.  

2 minutes ago, Pen said:

It can depend on the underlying reason for the cough. 

If it is a simple winter cold with cough, a nighttime cold and flu formula (Vick’s or similar) with cough suppressant would likely  work. I have an herbal formula liquid with mullein, Indian Cherry, horehound, honey and other herbs that usually/often helps me.  

I need to get some cough syrup.  Last night I tried Alegra in case it was allergy and some mucinex.  It was the worst night yet so obviously that wasn't the way to go. 

Mucinex is an expectorant to make it easier for you to cough up what's in your lungs.  Take it during the day, if you need that.  I suggest you try a nasal rinse of some kind to clear out your sinuses several times today and about 45 min before bedtime. Also, drink lots and lots of water today so that you are well-hydrated, in case your cough is actually from dryness. A humidifier in the bedroom can help.

as has been said, depends upon the cause.

for a cold - i'll take cold meds/cough syrup that includes a decongestant as that helps dry up the sinuses so they're not draining down the back of the throat causing a cough.

for colds - I also take a lipsomal vitamin c (or at least a vit c with bioflavinoids), and echinacha - every hour.  if I start as soon as I start to feel sick, it has been helpful in derailing a cold.  and I've had a poor immune system for years.