Menu

Websites that changed your life or are a big part of your life?

Teaching3bears

Are there any websites that have changed your life for the better, made your life easier, better, richer, expanded your world?  Please share with a brief description if you would like.  This can be any kind of web site.  For me, I can only think of this site (WTM) right now😍 and maybe Amazon and Common Sense Media for book and movie reviews and TripAdvisor for travel.

• Like 1

Well, obviously this one. It has fully shaped me in so many ways. 

Amazon, for sure. 

Years ago, Gentle Christian Mothers. 

And in the very beginning of internet experience, Parent Soup, where I “met” two ladies whom I am still friends with twenty years later. 

• Like 2

Honestly, I love this site and Facebook, but the site that completely changed (and saved) my life is now closed.  It was an internet church called St. Pixels.  

I also met my now goddaughter on the about.com's Christianity chat room back in 1999 or 2000.  

Mothering.com was a rich resource for me when my children were tiny of both information and community.  

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 1

Way, way back in the day (mid-90s), the AOL message boards opened my eyes to the realistic possibility of homeschooling. They led me to the Five in a Row boards, then to Well Trained Mind. I would say that was life changing for a couple of my kids.

It would be a stretch to call it life-changing, but I do think that College Confidential probably made a pretty big impact in where my daughters attended college. I was clueless otherwise.

Online photography information in general allowed me to learn a skill that would have seemed overwhelming otherwise.

• Like 2

A others said, this one. There were a lot of homeschool sites that made our early homeschool days easier, including FIAR and the old Sonlignt board back when everyone was welcome there. This is the only one I chose to keep coming back to and the only one I stayed with when ds finished school.

There are a number of atheist sites and forums that helped me let go of my beliefs when I was ready.

Some science websites are my go-to sites for weeding out the woo. 

I have a few political sites I go to when I want to be in an echo chamber because I just want to be with my kind of political people.

The old AOL message boards is where I found a pregnancy list for women due in Sept. 97. After the babies were born we became a moms list, as many of those lists did back then. Our kids are 21 and  over the years we went from AOL to some other platform that I don't remember to yahoogroups and now mostly facebook (though we still have our yahoogroup). There is a core group of us still "together" 21 years later. We've lost several members to cancer. One lost her Sept. 97 child. Many of us have met in person. It was my first experience with virtual friendships and to this day is still very important in my life. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, J-rap said:

And these two sites by a theologian I like a lot:  

http://askgregboyd.libsyn.com/podcast

https://reknew.org

Interesting, that guy was a fairly young professor at my college back in the day. I did not know he was well known now.

Like Lady Florida, I was in an AOL moms pregnancy e mail loop, and many of us are connected on Facebook now.

• Like 3

This is the one board I've read consistently for more than 18 years.  There was a stage when it was multiple times per day.  My younger daughter is going to a regular school next year, so I don't read the curriculum boards any more, but I check in to the chat board at least once a week still, often more.

Other boards have come and gone - dieting, travel, support board for a particular illness, etc.

• Like 3

This one, obviously.  

The AOL debate boards were a major thing for me. I'm still friends with a group of women from back then. The whole experience helped me to examine my own positions, communicate better, and to develop more respect and empathy for other situations. (I was in my early 20s when I started, convinced I knew all the "right" answers. I'm 41 now, and so glad I found my way out of that mindset relatively quickly!)

I also met my husband on an aol dating site. While that still feels weird to say, that was worlds away from today's apps!

I don't really visit Flylady or Couponmom anymore, but both heavily influence/d the way I do things, thank goodness.

I obsessively stalk Zillow, which has taught me that 2019 may be the year my dreams come true!

I don't want to live without homeschooltranscripts dot com.

Amazon is still a major tool in my life. I want to break its hold on me, but it's so difficult when shopping is mostly 30min+ away, scattered around many plazas, AND I have to be careful with budgeting. 

My supermarket's shop from home site is everything. I still have to pick it up, but it gives me an extra hour in my pajamas each week and helps with staying in my budget.

• Like 3

This one, definitely. Tremendously.

Also a now defunct pet training/behavior board. I joined and a few years later was extremely flattered and flabbergasted when I was asked to help moderate. I learned so much from that board. It was chock full of tremendously knowledgeable people from all parts of the animal world, from volunteer rescuers to veterinarians. I'm still in touch with some of them and often think about a lot of the others. Much like this board, that one was a huge part of my life for a long time.

And I guess I agree about Amazon. It has definitely changed the way I shop. Even if I buy items locally I often read reviews on Amazon first. 

• Like 3

Oh, goodness!  Let's see...
AOL message boards and Yahoo groups. 
Anne Zeis' (sp?) A To Z Home's Cool.  That was the site that answered nearly every question I had regarding homeschooling many years ago.  In fact, it was part of why I ended up here.  But having all those resources and information in easy to find lists....amazing.  I still direct people there.
All Recipes.  This was a game changer.  It took us from Hamburger Helper to fabulous dishes and started our family recipe book.
Flylady.  I don't go to her site anymore, but again, starting out, this was fabulous.  Every day I'd get the daily digest of emails, I had my little binder of checklist chores, and me, who was never taught to clean effectively learned some great skills.  I still follow a weekly rhythm and make my checklist of things to do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moonflower said:

Thanks, Quill! It took me years, literally years, to believe I had a decent product.  Imposter syndrome is super hard.

4chan/pol has had a significant impact on DH and thus on me.  I learned to sew largely from sewmamasew's blog (and blogs linked through there). 

I think it is wonderful you struck upon such a desirable product. I don’t have any idea how you developed it into what it has become but it really impresses me. 

If any of my ideas could support our family, I would have heaven in my hat. 

• Like 2

This site, Facebook, Pinterest (because I’m very visual and projects got done because I could find them again), and YouTube because of all the dance videos and diy tutorials. I love learning to do things with a video. Most recently the Ana White site has taught me to use a kreg Jig and build simple wood projects. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I obsessively stalk Zillow, which has taught me that 2019 may be the year my dreams come true!

As a buyer or a seller? I am asking honestly because I don't have time to stalk economics sites and try to figure out the crystal ball of money but I would love to buy - just once - when it's a buyer's market.

36 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

As a buyer or a seller? I am asking honestly because I don't have time to stalk economics sites and try to figure out the crystal ball of money but I would love to buy - just once - when it's a buyer's market.

As a seller, but it’s a great buyer’s market in my area. I’m looking to cover my mortgage balance.  Profit is a pipe dream.

• Like 1