Menu

Anyone familiar with the board game Gloomhaven?

This is one expensive board game. Our family tradition is to open a new board game the week before Christmas and boardgamegeek over Christmas vacation. Our olmost 9 yr old is ready to play more challenging games, but with long ones like Catan, her interest does start to fizzle near the end. Trying to find a game that Both she and our 26 yr old Aspie will play is difficult. He likes Magic, Dominion, Civilization, and Risk. Those are about the only games he enjoys playing. Civilization is too much for Dd. (We have 3 different expansions and she loses track of who is doing what along with keeping up with her own.)

Im trying to decide if this game would be one we can p,at as a family a lot and it will be worth it or if it will be an expensive box on a shelf.

A couple of other options I am considering are Terraforming Mars and Castle of Mad King Ludwig.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

My husband likes Magic and we can play Commander (a multi-player format) with a 9-year-old who has some help.  But it’s different when a parent doesn’t mind a player who needs help, I can see it frustrating non-parents.  

My husband has a lot of Commander decks, though, so it’s something we just have on hand.  

He loves to play Magic.  

Edit:  my oldest son and I have learned to play so we do already know how to play, it would be a lot harder if more than one or two other people didn’t already know how to play.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I should have explained that we own a ton of games.  7 Wonders, Catan, 6 versions of Ticket to Ride, Dominion, Alhambra, and a quite a few more get played regularly. We play games as a family several times a week. 

Gloomhaven has high reviews on boardgamegeek. I just wondered if anyone has played with younger kids.

The reviews that I've read says that it takes a serious amount of commitment to play because the rules and content are so rich.  In reading the vibe, I've gotten the sense that it's more for the D&D college dorm crew crowd to play on consecutive weekends over a semester, iykwim. 

I assume you guys already have Pandemic, Forbidden Island, Betrayal at House on the Hill, and the other usual suspects if you already have Dominion, 7 Wonders, etc.....

• Like 3

It is a looonnnggggg game. I liken it to World of Warcraft or other online RPGs where you keep advancing, leveling up, gaining new items and so forth. If you have a dedicated table you could leave it up on as you come back to it that is ideal. Anyone can play, you don't have to keep coming back as the same group, but as your world expands and board is added, you don't want to keep having to set it back up and remember how it was. This is not a game you can sit down and play in an hour. It is similar to D&D in that respect. It is tedious a bit to keep track of rules and things. The other piece I will say is quality control is a real problem. We were missing items and it took forever to get replacements. However, that was the first run last year so hopefully it has gotten better. 

If your DD doesn't enjoy getting through to the end of Catan she may dislike this game. 

• Like 2

I don't have anything to add about Gloomhaven as I haven't played it, other than to say I bet that you could watch a shut up and sit down review https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/  I don't usually like watching videos but I'll watch these to see how games are played.

If you have Civilization then do you also have Through the Ages? We got it last year after wanting it for a while and I like it a lot more than Civ (which we also have). It's always rated near the top on boardgamegeek and I really like it. I bet your aspie would too! May have some similar issues with your 9 year old but I think this game is easier to play than Civilization.

ETA: my 9 year old likes to play Powergrid with us. Do you guys have that one?

Edited by importswim
  • Thanks 1

Would you consider a German style card game? I think Bohnanza is great fun with the age spread you are talking about. Also possibly, Bang! if you are open to that theme.

https://www.amazon.com/Rio-Grande-Games-RGG155-Bohnanza/dp/B00008URUS

https://www.amazon.com/Da-Vinci-Bang-4th-Edition-x/dp/B001RU7UNW/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1545097398&sr=1-1&keywords=bang

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1

@importswim Thanks for that link. That is a new resource for me! 

I appreciate all of the responses. I decided on Terraforming Mars. I just ordered Bohnanza @calbear It was cheap enough that I could add it on. Thanks for that suggestion.

Aspie ds's birthday is the beginning of Feb so I am going to look into some of the other suggests as possibilities for then. 

Thanks again for the responses. I am glad I didn't opt for Gloomhaven. It would not have been a good choice for us. Some of the other games mentioned in this thread are new to me, so I look forward to digging into researching them later.

Late to the suggestions, but DH has Gloomhaven and Terraforming Mars, but DD and I won't play them with him. Just not our style! We are a huge board game family with probably over 350 games. If you don't know about this site yet, it's great: http://boardgamegeek.com

There are a lot of groups on FB too for advice. We buy a lot of them on Kickstarter, and a couple recent new additions include: Prehistory and Robin Hood and His Merry Men! But, our favorite seasonal one is Santa's Workshop!

• 1 year later...