Menu

Car trip activities

I'm taking my 9 year old daughter on a long car trip to Florida soon. I'm looking for in-car activities to stave off boredom. I've got tons of audiobooks lined up and podcasts queued. She gets car sick so reading isn't an option. I'll be driving so I can only chat with her, nothing more. Any ideas on non-messy actvities I can load up on so all's right with the world while we're in the car?

• Like 1

Does she like stickers?  We used to bring stickers and wax paper for the kids and they would use them like colorforms.  I also had magnetic doll books that we only brought out for car trips.  And magnadoodle (or etch-a-sketch would be good, too).  Go to the dollar store and find little prizes for her to break up the trip - you can give her a prize every couple of hours.  Snacks are always good, too.  Of course, if she gets carsick you have to be careful with all of the above (I had one like that).  

• Like 3

Finger knitting

a big bag of Pipe Cleaners and/or glow sticks

(If you can stand the noise) Bop it or Simon; Learn to twist balloons into what-nots

Perplexus or other brain teaser

She's probably old enough that you could try play dough on a cookie sheet?  I don't know; I haven't tried it myself.  haha

Maybe just a roll of Aluminum foil to shape and mold.

Edited by domestic_engineer
more ideas
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, domestic_engineer said:

Finger knitting

a big bag of Pipe Cleaners and/or glow sticks

(If you can stand the noise) Bop it or Simon; Learn to twist balloons into what-nots

Perplexus or other brain teaser

She's probably old enough that you could try play dough on a cookie sheet?  I don't know; I haven't tried it myself.  haha

Maybe just a roll of Aluminum foil to shape and mold.

Finger knitting....hmmmm....I'll need to look that one up!

Edited by Earthmerlin

I keep a box under my bed with car trip supplies.  Most of the stuff is pretty simple:
-a clipboard with paper, printouts for things like cootie catchers, and activity pages
-a small pencilbox with scissors, colored pencils, regular ones, glue stick etc.
-a travel spirograph
-a pencilbox with a building toy (gathered by many car trips while Wendy's was promoting them. 😄 )
-an atlas
-road bingo cards
-conversation starter cards
-a light up toy for night
-a non-pencil writing toy.  We have a magnetic board, etch-a-sketch, and a boogie board.  Not all go on every trip.

I have another small box for hotels/meal stops with small games I can rotate in and out of my purse. 

The thrift store is actually great if you want to find small toys you can use on trips and put them away other times.  It's where I found the light up toy and conversation cards.

• Like 1

Some more ideas:  

Paint by sticker books ... although it might be too much close work though for her in the car. 

Noodle loaf podcast (it’s a bit more interactive than most podcasts)

wikkisticks

those “blow out” thingees that we had growing up to celebrate birthdays. EDIT:  like this

Oooh - speaking of things from our childhood, what about those water games where you were trying to ring the post by pushing a button that then puffed air into the chamber?EDIT: like this

(sorry precise words are not happening this morning)

handheld pinball machine? Sorta like pachinko.  EDIT:  like this

Edited by domestic_engineer
add links
  • Like 1

A friend of ours made our kids a check-list of things to find every day while looking out the car window during a long road-trip.  It was 20 different things every day, such as:   3 white cars all in a row;  a red barn;  a horse;  etc.  Once everything for that day was found, there was a cheap $1.00 prize for each child.  (Each child had to find everything, but they could help each other.)  Anyway, our kids just loved this.  It was probably one of the highlights of the road-trip!

• Like 2