Menu

I want to have a baby today!, update!

Xahm

Success, Monday at nine pm! My wonderful sil made eggplant parmesan for me for lunch Monday, I enjoyed a nice hilly walk, and soon went into labor. The midwives arrived in plenty of time, my mother in law wasn't obnoxiously early, and my husband was able to get back just a little before midnight. It didn't go exactly as planned due to the two year old waking up and needing cuddles while I was nearing transition.It all worked out, though, and no children were traumatized. They enjoyed being fascinated/grossed out by the placenta and all stayed up way too late. Baby boy is nine pounds even, 21.5 inches long.

My due date is tomorrow, I feel ready, and having the baby now would mean dh being home for about two weeks before being shipped to the middle east for nine months. I'm not going to do anything crazy to make it happen, but I want this baby to come soon! 

Any funny or helpful suggestions are welcome. This is baby four, and probably last. The previous labors were all very different from one another, so I don't really have any way of knowing how close I am, not that anyone ever does.

Really I'm fine with any time this weekend, but I don't want to go late!

Edited by xahm
Update
  • Like 34

Well, I only have 3 so I don't know if I'm allowed to give advice or not but... I will anyway! 😂 

Only because I, similarly to you, needed my 3rd to arrive on a certain weekend between dh's (super important for our family and completely unavoidable) business trips. I was determined he would be there for the birth. 

So I walked. I walked and walked and walked. I walked our neighborhood Friday and Saturday many, many times and labor woke me up at 1am Sunday. Baby was born at 11:06 am Sunday! Dh left for his trip on Wednesday! 

I have no way of knowing if that was when baby would have come anyway or not but, I needed to do something that felt like I was letting my body know it was time to let go of baby. It occupied my mind while I waited. 

Good luck to you, your dh, and new baby! The last one really tugs at the heart. 💞

• Like 2

I was desperate for number 3 to come; I did everything.  Including this weird accupressure thing I saw on youtube where you like press a pulse point in your ankle and I think your palm and it stimulates contractions.  

she didn't come any faster, but when she did come the labor was so fast I had no time for an epidural and so it was miserable.  Never again with the accupressure!

• Like 2

I accidentally induced labour by installing a car seat. This was back in the days when you had to kneel on the seats and pull on the straps to get them appropriately tight. I guess straining with the pulling and pushing motions brought things on. 

In my case, it was a disaster to go into labour early, as all our family supports were out of town. 

All the best with your delivery, whenever it happens!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moonflower said:

I was desperate for number 3 to come; I did everything.  Including this weird accupressure thing I saw on youtube where you like press a pulse point in your ankle and I think your palm and it stimulates contractions.  

she didn't come any faster, but when she did come the labor was so fast I had no time for an epidural and so it was miserable.  Never again with the accupressure!

This worked for me during labor #2 when it stalled.  It was very weird, but fascinating.  

• Like 2

The weather is a bit cold and rainy, so walking outside is kind of out, but I have some outgrown clothes to take to the basement. Maybe lots of small trips up and down two flights of stairs and then cleaning the kitchen floor would do it... First I have to drink this raspberry leaf tea and take some evening primrose oil.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Luuuucky!  Only ONE time has stripping my membranes done anything, and that one time I was already in labor and asked the nurse NOT to do it and the &!?$@ did it anyway.  My doula almost didn’t make it.  Grrr.

Every other time it just made me cramp and didn’t actually do anything else 🙄

I figure it makes up for the EIGHT times I was induced with the first two kids that never worked (including pitocin with each of them). But yeah, I start cramping right away and it turns into labor pretty quickly (and I have reasonably short labors too so the ones that work I've had baby less than 10 hours later) but it was always pretty much on top of my due date.

• Like 1

I've consumed castor oil with the others and concluded that it isn't a terrible way to relieve constipation, but I don't think it did anything else. I wasn't able to get up the nerve to drink a lot, though, and I don't really want to, at least at this point. Besides, my digestion is moving asking well at this point, which I'm choosing to believe is a good sign.

The Foley isn't fun going in, but it did work well for me for number seven. Of course, that was coupled with low dose pitocin. But since you're so close to due date, and you've got the reason of DH leaving soon, maybe they'd consider it?

I went overdue with four of my first five babies. It gets pretty miserable.  I feel for you!

• Like 1

My midwife told me that most of the induction methods don't work that well unless baby is already ready already. 🙂

My dh gave me a strong foot massage that sent me immediately into labor with the last two.  It was a stormy day and the barometric pressure was dropping, right at my due date, and I guess it was the flip my switch needed.

My midwife also talks about red raspberry leaf tea, walking or exercise, castor oil (though she wants to know if someone is attempting this ahead of time because it can cause uncontrolled bowel movements during labor), and tEa.

Happy laboring!

• Like 1

I hope the baby comes today! Honestly I would ask to be induced on Monday if he isn’t here by then. I was induced twice before dh was deployed. Both times ten days before he left. I know it is controversial, but you need to have a bit of recovery time before you are solo parenting. Assuming of course you are favorable for an induction-usually the 4th baby is by the due date. Good luck! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, xahm said:

The weather is a bit cold and rainy, so walking outside is kind of out, but I have some outgrown clothes to take to the basement. Maybe lots of small trips up and down two flights of stairs and then cleaning the kitchen floor would do it... First I have to drink this raspberry leaf tea and take some evening primrose oil.

Do steps - but do them sideways. At least that's what a midwife told me years ago. 

I was due with baby #6 just before DH deployed as well. I went into my midwife appointment at 38 weeks and cried and begged for her to strip my membranes. I bled a significant amount but 24 hours later wasn't having any contractions. Feeling pretty desperate, I sat down with a couple manual breastpumps. Within a short amount of time (an hour? Maybe 2?) the contractions were hard enough we were running to the hospital. I think baby was born 3-4 hours after I sat down with the pumps.

Baby #5 came out with the help of the pumps too. During the night I started slowly leaking amniotic fluid but was not having any contractions. My midwife confirmed it at my appointment that morning so the "clock" began and I was going to have a baby that day one way or another. So I sat down with the pumps and watched a couple episodes of Call the Midwife. She was born within a few hours too!

• Like 2

No baby yet, nor any definite signs, though some of these contractions could be the beginnings of the real thing, or just major Braxton-Hicks. We're doing a home birth, largely due to how hard to predict my labors are. My midwife isn't a fan of stopping membranes, but I could beg on Tuesday. Tomorrow I may try the manual pump. That seems more socially appropriate than offering to try to nurse my baby nephew.

• Haha 4

I tried everything to get baby #3 out. We were up against the clock being 2 days from being induced. I pumped for 5 minuted on each side, alternating for 20 minutes. I gave up because I didn't think it was doing anything. Well, DH made me laugh and pop my water broke. I had tried so may things before that; red raspberry leaf tea, pineapple, walking, EPO, TeA and nothing until I tried pumping. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, xahm said:

Yeah, but dh is on military orders nearly five hours away, so that could get tricky.

Well Amazon is getting remarkably good about providing all needed services, so...maybe they have some route? 

😝

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PrincessMommy said:

any updates??  I hope today's the day!! 

None yet. I'm hoping it's today, too, but I'm also trying to get fun stuff set up for next week so that I'm not just waiting all the time of the baby is over due. My first two were on time, but number three was really, really late.

• Like 4