Menu

Courses using "flipped classroom" approach

Pegasus

I'd love to hear some experiences (from students or instructors) on flipped classrooms. DD has one course next semester that uses this approach but it sounds to me like it will require even more time outside of class than a regular course.  Here is the description provided:

BEFORE CLASS - watch videos and answer questions

IN CLASS - quizzes, review, example problems

AFTER CLASS - on-line homework problems

So, the students are still doing the homework sets outside of class while now also watching the lecture videos outside of class.  Thoughts?

If the videos and in class activities are well designed, this can be very successful and more efficient than a traditional lecture model.

In a traditional lecture model, students need to spend time before lecture reading, and taking notes on, the assigned sections from the textbook, so the flipped model does not take any more time (because typically the video is the assignment and is not preceded by a pre-reading). And having engaged with the material in an active way during class will make homework time more productive.

If the videos are poorly designed and the in class activities not suitable for active learning, it can be a bust. But so will be a poor lecture.

Students should expect to spend 2 hours outside of class for any hour in class. So for a 4 credit class, I expect the students to do 8 hours of work outside the classroom. That should leave plenty of time for video watching and homework sets.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7

Thanks, everyone.  You make good points.  I've been a bit surprised by how my DDs leave consulting the textbook as a last resort. That was always my go-to solution back in the olden times. 

I know the professor who heads up the engineering fundamentals program and he is excellent.  He is a dinosaur from when I was in school as well. So, I have hopes that the quality of the videos and in class interaction will be good.

I have taught flipped classes and as others say, the time commitment should be the same.  It often ends up being more because in the standard lecture model, many students simply do not do the pre-reading.  This means they get less out of lecture.   I noted with flipped sections, time in class was more productive.  I have kept data on outcomes and have noted better outcomes with my flipped classes.  My in-class time was mostly hands-on and a good chance for students to get help right away.  I know my university is going in this direction for more and more classes each year so I suspect it will become pretty common.

• Like 2

Funny thing is that in flipped classes, the instructor evaluations are lower, but the student learning is higher.

And yes, the only reason it's more time is because people tend not to do pre-reading or post-reading, but expect that the only time spent is in class and doing homework and a cram session before an exam. 

This is not conducive to success, but it is hard to challenge that. 

Edited by kiana
  • Like 1

Can you point me to some good research regarding this?

I haven't had a chance to do an exhaustive research, but I have trouble on finding research at the collegiate level that mentions instructor evaluations.  I see some that do a survey of students, asking if they liked the class, but I have found any that compare the actual university evaluations.  I am also having difficulty finding something that really measures learning where a comparable measure of learning is being used for flipped versus traditional classroom settings. 

1 hour ago, kiana said:

Funny thing is that in flipped classes, the instructor evaluations are lower, but the student learning is higher.

And yes, the only reason it's more time is because people tend not to do pre-reading or post-reading, but expect that the only time spent is in class and doing homework and a cram session before an exam. 

This is not conducive to success, but it is hard to challenge that. 

My understanding is that a flipped classroom has the students doing the homework problems in class.  So it would go:

Before class: Watch videos, read text, other input

In class: Do problems

After class: Same as before class

My son's AP Economics class was flipped and it worked out really, really well.

12 hours ago, EKS said:

My understanding is that a flipped classroom has the students doing the homework problems in class.  

Not necessarily.  That would reduce total time on task. The flipped classes I know work problems and do activities,  but then students also have homework outside of class.

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

Not necessarily.  That would reduce total time on task. The flipped classes I know work problems and do activities,  but then students also have homework outside of class.

That's a good point.  My only experience has been for a high school class, which has a different  distribution of hours (more classroom time). 

Edited by EKS