Menu

I need something to watch

stephanier.1765

I need something to watch from Netflix, Amazon or Hulu. I only watch TV while having lunch (and the occasional breakfast) and lately I've been having zero luck finding anything I enjoy. Recently,I put forth a valiant effort with Julia Robert's Homecoming but I just couldn't warm to it. I tried 1983 from Netflix but I'm not a big fan of dubbed programs. While spending a couple of weeks at my son's home, I watched a show on HBO about two Italian (at least I think it was Italian) little girls that was subtitled which I really liked but now I can't remember what it was called to finish watching it now that I'm home. Ugh.

So, I prefer fiction though no horror. Romance isn't really my thing either. Also, I prefer series over movies. Otherwise, I'm open to all suggestions. With most programs being on a holiday hiatus, I'm missing having something to look forward to at lunch time.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

We must have the same tastes. I've watched and enjoyed all of these options. 😂

5 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

If you are ok with it, I give The Handmaid's Tale my absolutely highest possible recommendation. 

4 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

If it doesn’t have to be kid friendly I vote for The Last Kingdom! 

3 minutes ago, mmasc said:

My favorite so far has been Grantchester! (Netflix)

• Haha 1

In that case, tell me what you end up liking because I’m on the hunt too!😆 I thought I’d love Sherlock, but I just can’t get into it. I just finished Father Brown and liked it. I also liked Downton. Nothing else has done it for me yet though. 

ETA: Oh, and I like Poldark too!

Edited by mmasc
Thought of another
  • Like 2

I would agree with The Last Kingdom. And if you like that, Vikings.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is hysterical -- but not for watching with kids around. (Come to think of it, I wouldn't watch any of those with kids around.)

Oh -- and Poldark! One of my faves! ❤️

Edited by PeachyDoodle
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Nailed it? Sometimes I just need a good belly laugh, and watching a well-intentioned train wreck is pretty awesome.

Haha, I'm watching Nailed It Holiday season right this very minute and was considering recommending it. 😛

OP, if you like cooking shows, The Great British Baking Show is awesome. 

• Like 6

I think Monk is the best TV series ever.  It's on Amazon Prime.  With eight seasons, it'll keep you busy for awhile, too.  The murders are sometimes somewhat gruesome, but not usually and they're over fast.  Plus you know they're coming so you can cover your eyes or turn off the sound.  There's a story that arcs through the entire series, so it's fun to get to the end and see that concluded. 

I watch the Great British Booking show with my 12 and 10 year old boys.  We love it. 

Is Gilmore Girls too out to be in?  I did love that series, too. 

• Like 4

Berlin Babylon, the most expensive show ever made outside the US? I mean, if you're willing to do subtitles.

My favorite this year was Man in the High Castle. Right now I'm watching Nailed It's holiday season. I want Nicole Byer to follow us all around saying honest but encouraging things.

10 hours ago, 5lilpumpkins said:

The british mystery series? If so, I have watched every season and it is excellent!

I have also enjoyed Rosemary and Thyme, a lighter mystery series for the gardeners out there!

Funny! My dh calls Rosemary and Thyme "the lighter side of murder!" I actually really like the show, but I have a difficult time seeing Felicity Kendal as anything but Barbara Good. (Good Neighbors)

• Like 1

I've just finished a series called Detectorists.  It took me a few episodes, maybe even 5, to really get into it, but then I loved it.

It says it's a comedy, and it is funny, but it's not like a sitcom - it's much more thoughtful than that.  

The episodes are about half an hour which is kind of nice.  Amazing actors, great music, great scenery, really great dialogue.

• Like 1

I’ve been enjoying The Good Doctor on Hulu.  You can watch it with kids except that they do have surgery scenes where they’re looking at things like beating hearts and stuff.  It’s mostly a feel-good show.  

I loved The Americans on Amazon.  Wow, what an excellent show, but not for the kids.  

I like Grand Designs on Netflix for a home renovation show.  It’s not exactly like the other home renovation-type shows.  It’s been around for about 17 or so years and is British.  People design and build very unique houses in this show—like houses literally carved into caves. It’s not the typical show where they knock down a few walls and paint everything grey and put some subway tile in the kitchen.  It’s about building very unique homes from the ground up.  

• Like 1

It's not fiction, but I'm finding Big Dreams, Small Spaces to be kind of mesmerizing in a turn off your brain and don't worry about things kind of way. It has ZERO application to my life, as I doubt I will ever need to renovate a garden in the UK, but calming to my brain while not being boring. 

14 hours ago, 5lilpumpkins said:

Not mentioned...

Nurse Jackie- So well written and funny and raw and true-but at least PG if not R

The Miniaturist-PBS- gorgeous period clothing and sets-and riveting, R if not M

Hannibal-for a guilty pleasure watch-so over the top but Mads is not to be missed-the whole cast really

The rest everyone has mentioned:)

I am currently trying to warm to current season of Outlander-not sure yet.

I really liked the Nurse Jackie series.  I'm surprised that most people I know have never heard of it.  Great acting and script, and will make a lasting impression on you...  gut-wrenching, with a dash of humor.  Plus, each episode is only 30 minutes long, which I liked!  (Definitely R rated.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, meena said:

I think the show you watched at your son’s house is My Brilliant Friend, based on the books by Elena Ferrante. 

Um, just wow! I love this forum with all its brilliant brains. Yay, now I can get caught back up on it. 🙌 Thank you!

And thank everyone else, too. There are lot of promising prospects to keep me watching for a while. I almost hate being out of shows to watch as I hate being out of books to read.

Somehow we missed Grey's Anatomy when it started so we have been watching the umpteen seasons of that. We also like Good Doctor, Call the Midwife, This is Us. We just watched Alias Grace and it was pretty good, but there aren't very many episodes. Last night we started When Calls the Heart.

I liked a mini-series, Island at War, on Amazon. And I liked Lark Rise to Candleford. There's some romance in those, but I didn't feel it was the overarching theme. 

I really enjoy Call the Midwife and Poldark, too. Romance is a big part of Poldark, but I still feel there are so many other themes to enjoy. 

• Like 2

Things I regularly watch on Hulu:

The Good Doctor (seconding Garga's suggestion that it's generally okay for kids)

The Resident

9-1-1

Last Man Standing

Single Parents

Splitting Up Together (No, despite those two, I have zero intention of splitting with my husband -- they're just both decently funny.)

You could always binge classics like ER and Parenthood. I half liked The Mindy Project. I enjoyed Timeless too. I also like Life in Pieces. Oh, and I did love Rizzoli and Isles a lot. And Call the Midwife. 

If you can watch through the app instead, I really like Bluebloods and Madam Secretary. 

White Collar always gets my vote for a great show with some drama, some humor, and a bit of education, and a generally good lack of crudeness, but they took it off of Netflix, and it isn't on Hulu. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 5lilpumpkins said:

The british mystery series? If so, I have watched every season and it is excellent!

I have also enjoyed Rosemary and Thyme, a lighter mystery series for the gardeners out there!

Yes, the British mystery series! I love it. I'm working on season five right now.

• Like 1

Katarina: The Rise of Catherine the Great; amazon

The Knick; amazon not included with prime but worth the cost

The Leftovers

The Crown; Netflix

Victoria; amazon

The Expanse, FX/amazon

Orphan Black; amazon

Peaky Blinders; Netflix

Altered Carbon; Netflix

Shameless; amazon (DH's suggestion)

Counterpart; amazon

Edited by trulycrabby
Added to list
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, OKBud said:

My most recent watches have been The West Wing (it's honestly even better than I remember it being ❤️

If you haven't seen Superstore (hulu) yet, it's my favorite sitcom that's currently running. 

I never finished The West Wing and keep meaning to. I didn't watch it when it was broadcast because I didn't have much time for tv during those years. 

Superstore is fun to watch. I'm also watching Brooklyn Nine Nine on Hulu. I only recently discovered it. And all seasons of The Golden Girls is there. Yeah, a lot of episodes are really dated but they make you laugh anyway. 

You all are truly brilliant with these suggestions. When I see ones listed that I've already seen and enjoyed along with ones that I haven't watched yet, I know we are on the right track. So far I have 2 pages of shows to watch listed in my notebook that I keep nearby for ideas (of any kind). It's a good feeling to know I won't be at a loss for a show to watch for a very long time. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Thx for starting this thread. I got some good things for my list too... 

Over the holidays I binged Big Little Lies and The Bodyguard. 

I just started The Night Manager & want to finish it off in the next day or 2.

When the semester starts again I will need to go back to lighter less cliffhanger/suck you in/can't stop watching things because I can only watch a couple hours/week.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hornblower said:

Thx for starting this thread. I got some good things for my list too... 

Over the holidays I binged Big Little Lies and The Bodyguard. 

I just started The Night Manager & want to finish it off in the next day or 2.

When the semester starts again I will need to go back to lighter less cliffhanger/suck you in/can't stop watching things because I can only watch a couple hours/week.  

Did you finish The Bodyguard? Did you like it? I've watched several episodes but I couldn't get past the actor being Rob Stark. Usually when an actor is set in my mind as a character from another movie or TV show, the new program will eventually wipe the slate clean but I never reached that point in The Bodyguard. Did you find yourself immersed in the show? I can't decide if I should go back and finish it.

Edited by stephanier.1765

Have you watched Psych?  There are several seasons of early 2000's goodness.  It's 40 minutes of no-cuss humor that keeps my hubby and DS laughing, and me engaged.  That's my best family rec right now.

For edgier/ not family friendly... Doctor Foster was good.  A little too edgy, but well done.  

Not family friendly, but hitting my funny bone... Derry Girls (Netflix).  Each episode is 23 minutes and it cracks me up! 

All on Netflix

Witness (Australian)

Money Heist (Spanish)

Atypical

Jane the Virgin

Safe (British)

Broadchurch (British)

Happy Valley (British)

Baby Ballroom (British)

Last Tango in Halifax (British)

Dance Academy (Australian)

Gilmore Girls

The Great Train Robbery

Everything Sucks

Master of None

Call the Midwife

Parenthood

When Calls the Heart

Occupied (Norwegian)

Madam Secretary

Edited by Frances

No one's mentioned The Good Place?  I think that's my favorite current series.  I like funny and smart, and it really hits both cylinders. I don't do violence.

Also: The Crown, British Bake-Off, Queer Eye, Mrs Maisel (language alert), Dear White People (sex alert), Parks & Rec (my prior favorite), Downton Abbey (my first favorite).

And there are only a handful of episodes so far, but Hasan Minhaj's Patriot Act is Fan.Tas.Tic.  It's unlike anything else out there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Did you finish The Bodyguard? Did you like it? I've watched several episodes but I couldn't get past the actor being Rob Stark. Usually when an actor is set in my mind as a character from another movie or TV show, the new program will eventually wipe the slate clean but I never reached that point in The Bodyguard. Did you find yourself immersed in the show? I can't decide if I should go back and finish it.

We did watch it right through and I really liked it; it was suspenseful and had some good plot twists.  But we're not a GoT family so there's that.... He was essentially new to me.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2018 at 10:40 PM, Paige said:

The Good Place is my family's current favorite too! I binged the first season before letting the kids watch it, but they're teens. It may not be great for under 12s. 

I also really like Travelers on Netflix. 

What did you end up watching, Stephanie?

I watched Vanity Fair which I still have questions about but don't want to spoil it for others. I started Homecoming but couldn't get into it and I watched Birdbox over several days so it was sort of like watching a TV show. It was also strange and left me with questions. I've watched recorded shows the last few days. It took 3 sittings to get through the latest Outlander.

But now I'm trying to decide what to next. I'm grieving my dog yet there are so many things need doing. Do I binge watch? Waste the day surfing the internet? Be productive? Binge eat comfort foods? I want to do them all. So far the internet is winning.