Menu

Wilson Hill Academy Logic Level Classes

My 6th grade son is presently in LA2 at WHA.  Can anyone give me info of LA3?  I'd like to know homework load and what is covered in the class.  My son is also taking Writing & Rhetoric at Schole Academy.  I'm trying to determine if he should do both writing classes again next year.  He will probably do Omnibus Primary 1 self-paced instead of The Great Conversations 1 at WHA if he does the two writing classes.  He will also take an online math course and an online Latin course.  Has anyone had a child in Fundamentals of Latin at WHA.  My son has taken two year of Spanish at Schole Academy, but he hasn't had any Latin yet. 

• Like 2

Here is a description of what LA2 is like:

Day 1 - Dictation, go over vocabulary homework, Classroom Connection grammar/capitalizaion/etc. lesson (students finish the lesson for homework)

Day 2 - Dictation, discuss the literature, Classroom Connection review & go over writing assignment

Homework due on Saturdays at 11:59pm 

1. Dictation (done in class) & copywork  - Parents checks

2. Practical Practice - open book quiz that has them do exercises that cover grammar/Cap rules learned/reviewed in class.    My son does  this on Friday

3. Recitation project - they have about 3-4 weeks to memorize a poem.  

Recitation Project #1: "Lady Moon, Lady Moon" by Lord Houghton due at the end of week 3

Recitation Project #2: "The Secret" Anonymous due at the end of week 6

Recitation Project #3: Psalm 24 (any version) due at the end of week 10

Recitation Project #4: "If" by Rudyard Kipling due at the end of week 17

Recitation Project #5 Part 1: Romans 12:1-8 (any version) due at the end of week 22

Recitation Project #5 Part 2: Romans 12:9-21(any version) due at the end of week 27

Recitation Project #6: "Nobility" by Alice Cary due at the end of week 34

4. Dynamic Discussion - write a response about the literature and respond to a classmate (very specific directions given each week) 

5. Writing Project - The writing Projects didn't start until week 5.  All the assignments have the students practice concepts being learned in class. There are detailed directions that I did not include.  The Dynamic Discussions have students respond to at least one classmate.

Weeks

1 - Dynamic Discussion 1 - Write a paragraph about yourself with no help.

2 - Dynamic Discussion 2 - A Wrinkle in Time Chapter Summary

3 - Dynamic Discussion 3 - A Wrinkle in Time - Pick a charter from the story but don't reveal the name.  Descript the charter and post.  Let classmates guess who it is.

4 - Test #1

5 - Dynamic Discussion 5 -  Write a response to the following questions.  You must use at least six sentences.  Be sure to give evidence from the book to support your answer. Do you feel sorry for Colin or do you think he is just spoiled and selfish?  Why do you think Mary can make Colin settle down when nobody else can

5 -  Writing Project 1 - Telling & Showing Sentences - Change the provided telling sentences to showing sentences

6 - Dynamic Discussion 6 - Figurative Language - Find a sample from the literature and write a paragraph that answers these questions: 

1. What were the two things being compared?
2. Why do you think the author chose to compare these two things?  
3. What imagery, including 
appeal to all senses, did this metaphor/simile help create in your mind? 
4. What would have been a BORING way of saying the same thing? 

7 - Dynamic Discussion  - Bandit or Hero -After reading the first two chapters of The Bronze Bow, answer the following prompt/question with no less than 3 thoughtful sentences. 

7 - Writing Project 2 - Setting Description First Draft - Choose a picture and write a paragraph describing it.  remember to "show" not "tell".

8  - Test #2

8  - Writing Project #2 Final Draft

9 - Writing Project #3-  Create your own Character using a planning sheet

9 - Dynamic Discussion #9 - Figurtive Language in the Bronze Bow: Find a sample from the literature and write a paragraph that answers questions listed

10 - Writing Project #3 - Character description paragraph First Draft

10 - Dynamic Discussion #10 - One summary from the Bronze Bow

12 - Writing Project #3 - Character description paragraph Final Draft

12 - Dynamic Discussion #12 - For this discussion, write a 6 to 8 sentence paragraph about the ideas of thankfulness, discontentment, and meditation on scripture. You must also include a Bible verse that relates to the topic in addition to your 6 to 8 sentences.

13 - Dynamic Discussiont #13  - Character Dialogue - Create a dialogue between the character you created and a character from one of the books we have read in class and post it for peer review.  

1. First say something that the classmate did well.
  2. If you see a way to correct something, you may share that information in a helpful and gracious way. You may only share one or two corrections.

14 - Writing Project #4  - Character Dialogue - Create a dialogue between the character you created and a character from one of the books we have read in class - Final Draft

• Like 1