Menu

Teens and Christmas

DawnM

Every year I have said the kids aren't getting much and every year, my husband says I overdo it.  

But not this year.  There is literally NOTHING under the tree, nothing in their stockings, and I am just stumped.

All 3 want money and/or gift cards for college funds (2 in college in their college accounts) and youngest wanted computer components and has now built his own computer early (this week.)

Here is what they have to open on Christmas:

1. Each have an ornament that will be meaningful to them.

2. Socks and underwear for all, PJ pants for oldest

3. gift cards 

Any ideas other than cash?  We don't need more board games, we aren't planning any trips this year, I could get them each a T-shirt with something fun on it, but honestly, I am completely stumped this year.

Our boys are older than yours (20 and 23) but so far this year I've gotten each of them -- 

Socks (high end socks that youngest wouldn't bother shopping for and oldest wouldn't want to pay for)

New wallets (both of theirs appear to be falling apart)

Portable chargers/power banks so they can recharge their phones and laptops when they're traveling or the power goes out. If our weather keeps up the way it has been recently . . I think they may really need them!

We usually buy each of them a few scratch off lottery tickets

And they'll get some cash

• Like 3

Are they into video games? I got my dd's boyfriend a Funko POP figure for Gears of War. They're not very big but have big heads and look kind of weird but he liked the Harry Potter one I gave to him last year so I figured I try another one this year. I'm also giving him an exercise shirt because he works out every day so at least it's a practical gift.

For my son, instead of cash, he wants us to go with him into a tv purchase, probably 40+ inches or whatever. I also bought him a pair of pants and a tin wall hanging from one of his favorite video games.

For my youngest dd, I got her a sweatshirt from 6dollarshirts.com. It says 'meh...' on it and just seems to sum up her attitude lately. Their tshirts are only $6 but the sweatshirts are more expensive. They have a large selection of all kinds of subjects. I also got her a bubble wrap calendar that was mentioned in the unique gifts thread.

For my oldest dd, it's girly stuff and wouldn't appeal to your sons.

Edited by Night Elf
changed info
  • Like 1

Do the college kids live away and have to make their own food?  Dd is off to university in January and I'm preparing a few recipe cards and packaging them with all of the herbs and spices she will need for each recipe.  

I remember receiving really good quality coffee and my stepmom's homemade rusks (very South African, I'm not sure if other nationalities know them).  The quality of the coffee was more than my student budget would have allowed and not something I'd have thought to ask for.

We got our teens/young adult boys safety kits for their cars, portable chargers, Bluetooth speakers, socks, underwear, gift cards, candy, and snacks. One is getting a laptop just because he needs it and one just got a car. So those aren’t Christmas presents but they know we just laid out a bunch of money. 

Last year I went overboard trying to preserve the big gift opening but really the kids didn’t care. I can’t hardly choose clothes for them anymore and I forced myself not to buy stuff “just because” this year. There is a fair number of presents developing under the tree because of things they have purchased for each other. They are very small, cheap items but there will be enough to open.

I do still have a 10 yo dd so she is getting more gifts. Luckily my big kids don’t have personalities that are bothered by inequality in gifts. Yes, she has much more to open- but they have college!! 

• Like 3

Really nice pens.  Like these

https://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Collection-Fountain-Turquoise-Barrel/dp/B015XIKA44/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544729702&sr=8-3&keywords=retro%2Bfountain%2Bpen&th=1

I got my DS a really expensive Carolina Reaper Pepper sauce he has always wanted to try haha.  Just little surprises.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 1

Does your youngest son need nice speakers or a high end monitor for the new computer he built? Or maybe a gaming mouse and keyboard, or a Razer Firefly mousepad (it lights up and is very cool!)  Razer also makes the Hyperfluxx mouse and pad set.

My ds18 has a lot of hobbies and he also collects certain things, so he is very easy to shop for. Do your boys collect anything? Do they need any new art supplies?

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 1

In another post, people were talking about wanting toys for themselves. I asked both of my dc if there were any toys they wish they had been given or would like again. Surprisingly, my ds chose a Lego set (haven't bought those in years) and my dd Klutz Fashion Forms because she loved it so much years ago: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0545449359/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm looking forward to giving these end of childhood gifts! 

• Like 5

We are in the same situation with our older three.

I got them all nice phone cords (Native Union).  Last year, they all wanted wireless speakers.  This year, one wants wireless earbuds. 

Last year I got the college kids stuff in case they got sick for their stockings - Day/Night medicine, cough drops, small package of tissues, vitamins, chapstick, etc. 

First year of school I got ds the things that go on the bottom of your shoes to walk to classes when it’s icy.  

I’ve given electric toothbrushes.

Gel pens, gum, chapstick

• Like 2

For our particularly minimalist DS these have been hits:

Playing cards from eBay, vintage, rare/collectable; pocket knife (these wear down); Countdown Games/Breakout Games gift night with DH (if I set the date, it happens); hardcopy vintage book of favorite author - fun to find pristine copies on eBay.

• Like 3

Conveniently, my husband and I have just spent the last couple of hours comparing our lists of ideas with the list of what we already have on hand for our offspring and their significant others. Here's what it looks like here this year.

Daughter:

• "Hyyge box" - She and I share a weird, slightly amused interest in things Scandinavian. For the uninitiated, "hyyge" is a Danish word that loosely translates to "cozy." So I am assembling items that fit the theme to pack into a box. It's funny, because we've been talking about the whole hygge thing for a couple of years, and then just this year it seems to have bubbled up into pop culture here in the U.S. in a big way, which has made it almost too easy to find good items. I have soft, cuddly yarn for her crochet projects, a gift set from Lush, a scented candle and a coloring book, plus some cute socks.  We'll probably toss in some tea and maybe cookies or candy and call that one done.
  • Money - We haven't yet decided on an amount or delivery method, but since she now lives on her own in NYC and will have to carry gifts back on the plane, this is really the most practical thing. We usually try to do something cute with packaging or presenting it.
  • Crocheted alpaca - Traditionally, I make at least one gift for each kiddo. (I am also making a gift bag for this one out of llama-themed fabric. We've used fabric gift bags here for years, and last year I started her own collection by wrapping all of her gifts in bags I had made in her preferred color palette. So she will be able to add the llama bag to the set.)
  • Mini-stocking stuffed with lottery tickets and small consumables

Daughter's SO:

• Lego set - Daughter's suggestion, because SO loves Lego. (We haven't yet met the SO in person, so I'm relying heavily on guidance.)
  • Crocheted beanie - Design and color suggested by daughter.
    (I may or may not sew a bag for this, too.)
  • Mini-stocking stuffed with lottery tickets and small consumables. 

Son:

• Polymer clay crafting kit (so he will stop stealing my stuff) - Packs of clay in several colors, sculpting tool set, liquid clay adhesive, gloss, all packed into two plastic storage boxes like the ones I use in my craft room.
  • Game Master Starter Kit (so he will stop "borrowing" my husband's stuff) - DM screen, write-on/wipe-off map, tube for transporting said map, pens to use on map, full set of matching dice, dice bag.
  • Classic board game - one of the nice ones in a wooden box.
  • Personalized tie (his Mom-made gift for the year)
  • Stocking stuffers including a t-shirt, silly socks, duct tape and food, as well as lottery tickets. 

Son's SO:

• Gift certificate to one of her favorite restaurants.
  • Zippered clutch with her favorite Disney character on it.
  • Classic board game like the one son is getting.
  • Collage wall hanging that mashes up a couple of her favorite pop culture themes. (My son insisted she would love it if I made this.)
  • Stocking stuffers including candy, lottery tickets and . . . we're still looking for ideas.

As of last year, I am no longer making ornaments or pajamas for anyone. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Liz CA said:

Honestly, it sounds fine to me. It's not always the size of the gift in physical dimensions. 

Of course......but all previous years I had so many gifts under the tree for them to open.  Many of the things suggested I gave last year for that vary reason......hats, gloves, sunglasses, sweatpants, socks, candy.

Some of that I will get again.....they always need socks and underwear.  

• Like 1

Ok, so oldest just said he wants a foldable aluminum easel for school.  YAY!  I have something on the list!  And he wants peppermint JoJos from TJ.  I think it may be too late, but I will go up today and look.

I may get them each a new wallet.  They do complain that their wallets are too thick.  

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 5

Don't make my mistake.  I got the 13 y.o a paddle board (he really had fun with rentals on vacation).  Got it home and realized that he probably would not want to board alone. Got a second one. Then realized that my  kid is a great swimmer but he probably should have a life vest, and so would his companion. Got 2.  Whoops, even though we are in So.Cal.,  the water is cold now.  Got two wet suits so that he can board on  X-mas. Hey, if somebody else's kid is on the water with him, I should probably be somewhere around.  Heading out to pick-up a kayak from craigslist.  I think I finally have it all covered. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

We’re doing a lot of the things mentioned here...bluetooth speaker for 15 year old,  bluetooth earbuds for 12 year old. Funny Tshirts for both. Books.  Some card games.  I’m getting them both a year subscription to Amazon Music to share. 

They like getting food that I don’t usually buy. I got 15 year old Pop-Tarts for his birthday and he loved that. And we got 12 year old Cinnamon Toast Crunch for his birthday and I think it was his best present. 

Someone got my oldest a Yeti mug for his birthday and he really loves that. 

If you're looking for a creative way to give cash, my mother always gave us (and still does, actually) "scratch pads" in our stockings. She'd get new, crisp $1's and $5's from the bank, cut a piece of cereal box to size as a backer, draw a fun paper cover, and use a very small amount of Elmer's glue along the top to bind it together into a notepad. Very cute and useful - in college it lived in my bookbag and got pulled out for vending machine snacks, paying for parking, etc.

• Like 3