Menu

Pelvic floor physical therapy

lexi

18 minutes ago, goldberry said:

My best friend is going through this.  She said it was awkward at first but then not bad.  The progress is really slow for her.  

I’m not sure I can get past the “awkward.” I just don’t know. 

I’ve been doing some things at home and have already improved somewhat. So the dr thinks I will respond well to therapy. But after reading a little about it, I am panicking. 

I had some sessions following pelvic surgery.  It was really no more awkward than a gyn visit.  We were in a private room and it was all very professional - do this, try that.  My sessions included some abdominal massage to loosen some old c-section scars that were pulling.  Nothing humiliating or painful.  Lots of mental imagery to relax/tighten certain muscles.  

If you are nervous, I highly recommend calling the therapist and asking (from the safety of the telephone) for them to describe what happens during the sessions.  They can help you feel more comfortable before you show up to the office - it is very common for women to be very nervous about this type of PT, so you are in good company!

• Like 2

I'm a pretty private person on things like that. Like I've never even been to an OB and I've had two kids. I don't even like the midwife being there. I got referred for PT and the lady PT was like this is your issue, this is what you need (pelvic floor, core, etc.), and that she could take me so far and that beyond that I'd need a referral for a PT who specialized in pelvic floor. What we did without that specialized (internal) work was enough for me. Like maybe not as good as it could have gotten to, but enough. 

Depending on what you're dealing with, maybe they could get you where you need to be without that. And if not, well I can say I think the thing that would make it more uncomfortable than the actual therapy is the rooms, the set-up. Where I went, they were dinky rooms off a main room, so you'd just really feel conspicuous. It wasn't set up to feel like a hygienic medical office, with halls and privacy. If that would matter to you, maybe visit a few practices till you find one that makes you more comfortable. 

I think if I *had* to do it, I could do it, and you probably can too. But I think it's ok to say hey let's start with what we can do without internal or to try several until you find someone who sets you at ease.

Edited by PeterPan

Depending on where you live pelvic floor pt can really vary in quality. In our city it just involves kegels which in not the best or most up to date approach AT ALL. I found it very upsetting at first (cried afterwards) but after that it was easier. If you are feeling uneasy I would try the DVD Hab It. It goes beyond just kegels and you can do it at home.

https://www.amazon.com/Hab-Pelvic-Floor-Tasha-Mulligan/dp/0510539610

Good luck! 

Thanks everyone. I’ve been very upset. My appointment is next week so I have all week to stress about it. Sigh. 

I do have that dvd and have been doing it. That’s what has helped. But I’m still having issues and I’d like to be myself again. I can’t even exercise. And I can’t continue like this. 

I think I will call and find out what to expect. That might help me. 

And ive never had a mammogram so I can’t compare the two experiences. But I can only imagine that this is so much more awkward. 

I’ve also had mastitis twice and I’m just kind of done with everything. I’d love to be left alone if that makes sense. 

I went to one session and although it was awkward as all get out ("squeeze my finger" 😨 lol) it wasn't awful. She gave me some exercises to do at home and I was really good about doing them, but I was surprised that the leakage I was experiencing actually got worse, not better. So I haven't been back. After stopping the exercises the leakage went back to its previous level.

I haven't done it myself, but a young woman I know had some traumatic birth injuries. She said that PT helped her tremendously. I don't know what all they did, but she was really glad that the issues she had post-birth were not permanent due to the improvement through PT.

I have had three rounds of pelvic floor therapy sessions over the course of 10 years, along with major pelvic floor surgery. I understand your feelings, especially with wanting to "be done with everything". 

Please feel free to pm me with any questions or concerns you have. When you have the right therapist, it makes all the difference in the world.