Menu

Seriously Target? AKA crappy packaging

stephanier.1765

So I bought the kitty keyboard for my niece from Target. It was way under ($20 plus) the Amazon cost and with my Target card it was even a better deal. But geez, Target are you kidding me? The box was way oversized as you can see. The keyboard was not only rattling around inside from the lack of stuffing it was also on and playing. And as you can see, it didn't even come in a box. Surely that's not the way it is sold in the stores. Maybe that's why there was a such price difference? 

As far as I can tell, there is no damage. I'm really more disgusted at the waste of a big box and at the laziness of not protecting it well than anything else. I guess I'll have to get creative when wrapping it. Maybe I'll just put it back in the box and then the baby will have two toys in one.

IMG_1874.JPG

IMG_1872 (2).JPG

IMG_1871 (2).JPG

I can't figure why if the goal is save money on the filler packaging why not just save more money with a smaller box. I will definitely be thinking twice before ordering from them again. Maybe I'll just do store pickup. 

2 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

It's not just Target. I ordered some office supplies from Walmart for my kids- including a box of 50 sets of Post it Notes. It all came in a huge box like yours- would've fit in a boot sized box without issue- , with just some of those air filled bags. There was no shrink wrap on the post its box to hold them in, nor were they individually wrapped, so all 50 of them were just flung all over the box, creased, and wrinkled when we opened it, along with some other things. I don't know what it going on, but packing and shipping from all of these places seems to leave a lot to be desired of late. 

And I guess I'll have to do Walmart pickup too. At least both are close but I hate leaving the house when they will bring it to me for free.

• Like 1

We had an order of Legos from Target, and while it was multiple sets, they were all ordered at the same time. Came in 3 different over sized boxes, when one properly sized box would have worked (we were able to eliminate one of the boxes entirely just bringing it into the house and repacking). And, due to all the air in the boxes and lack of packing material, one of the boxes (packing boxes) was bent/dented/smooshed. 

I took pics before opening, showing it on the doorstep like that, just in case whatever inside was damaged too; amazingly the inside stuff was all fine. But ridiculous they didn't pack better. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

It's not just Target. I ordered some office supplies from Walmart for my kids- including a box of 50 sets of Post it Notes. It all came in a huge box like yours- would've fit in a boot sized box without issue- , with just some of those air filled bags. There was no shrink wrap on the post its box to hold them in, nor were they individually wrapped, so all 50 of them were just flung all over the box, creased, and wrinkled when we opened it, along with some other things. I don't know what it going on, but packing and shipping from all of these places seems to leave a lot to be desired of late. 

I have one more Target package coming and I have to pick one up at Walmart hopefully tomorrow. I'm curious to know how those (also toys) will be packaged.

Walmart pickup doesn't solve the problem.  I ordered a cozy critters set from there and picked it up this week.  When the lady brought it out the box (not a shipping box) was smooshed on one side.  I questioned her and she laughed and said, "well, you know how things get thrown around".  I wasn't amused and made her wait while I made sure all the little pieces were there and the structure was intact.  It was ok but I was not impressed.

Edited by JanOH
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, TheReader said:

I took pics before opening, showing it on the doorstep like that, just in case whatever inside was damaged too; amazingly the inside stuff was all fine. But ridiculous they didn't pack better. 

That's exactly why I took the pictures too. It didn't look right or feel right so I wanted to documentation right from the start. I'm relieved it seems to be fine because I hate having to go through the process of getting things sorted.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MFG said:

I just bought this in store. Yes, it just comes in the shrink wrap. 

That's good to know. It makes me feel better to know they didn't skimp on that part. Still wondering how I'm going to wrap the darn thing. I may really put it back in the big box with a whole lot of packaging I've collected from Amazon and go with it. It might be fun to watch her dig through it.

We had the same issue, and some of those big mostly empty boxes are so banged up from being, ya know, empty.  One wasn’t reusable.  Fortunately I needed one huge box for a family gift and managed to get one, but I think it was from Amazon and properly packaged.

And this is going to sound horrible, but I am so sick of my kids building things out of ginormous cardboard boxes.  It makes me grit my teeth just thinking about it.  The mess, the clutter, the missing items from all over the house to complete the ensemble.  My middle son makes absolutely amazing, multiple moving part cardboard contraptions, and I just... Argh.  Not again! #scrooge

@Lady Florida., is that a Fortnite piñata?  My kids and nephews would get a kick out of that on Christmas!

• Like 2

Same thing happened to me today with a box from Amazon, except it was also taped shut on only 2 of the three seams, and of course it was ripped open on the untaped end. It contains Christmas gifts, so I won't figure out if some of the contents are missing until the kids go to bed.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I have a different Target rant. They sent an item that has a stain. I’m gonna try to exchange in store... if they even believe me it arrived that way. 

And today I got this in place of the black shirt shown online. This is the sizing I ordered, but wrong item. I wanted her to get one non winter item. Sigh. I’ll see if that can be corrected in my store. 

2 minutes ago, Katy said:

Same thing happened to me today with a box from Amazon, except it was also taped shut on only 2 of the three seams, and of course it was ripped open on the untaped end. It contains Christmas gifts, so I won't figure out if some of the contents are missing until the kids go to bed.

Ridiculous! Is this new bad service quality or is it declining under the sheer weight of so many online orders?

3 hours ago, BarbecueMom said:

@Lady Florida., is that a Fortnite piñata?  My kids and nephews would get a kick out of that on Christmas!

Yes it is. I would never have thought of it or found it but my niece told me that's what he wanted. She took them (boy/girl twins) to Target under false pretenses then made mental notes of what they asked for or spent extra time looking at. 🙂 

ETA: @BarbecueMom here's a link. Shipping was fast and free. I ordered it late Sunday night and it came today. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

I've received items from Amazon in a box bigger than necessary but there's always enough packing material for protection. My complaint there is that the box size is unnecessary but so far I haven't had an issue with how the oversize box is packed.

Yesterday's Target delivery was my first experience with it. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mergath said:

Good grief. Did they run out of smaller boxes because they're shipping so much right now? That's the only explanation I can come up with.

If they run out of smaller boxes and use larger ones, they probably run out of packing materials  too since they need more for a small item in a large box.

21 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Maybe holiday help that is less experienced/don’t care? Use what they have to get items shipped right away? 

I think many of us complain about slow Prime shipping and other (Target, Walmart) shipping so I think even regular staff might just pack in whatever box available to get it shipped ASAP instead of waiting for more suitable shipping boxes to be restocked/replenished.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Today I got the sparkly blanket my grand niece wants. It was tightly packed in the box and well protected. Because you know, blankets are breakable items. 😂

Today everything (3 packages) from Amazon was in the perfect size box, including the cat litter. Seriously, the box was so perfect for the litter it was if it was made for it. Why they bother to box litter, I'll never know but it sure beats me having to pick it up and haul it home.

• Like 1