Menu

Construction and noise at my sons school?

Hi all Anyone wants to help me brainstorm what to ask for in our 504 meeting Monday. My son is doing very well at the little school next to our house. We do therapy for an hour before school and add guitar after. His teacher is also helping with the dysgraphia support so my situation is very good. My son is also doing choir and Band where he gets support from an amazing teacher who is patient and recognizes my sons hear issues. 

Everything was rosy and for once I had gotten all to work as a well-oiled machine. Now they are building a new school behind my son's school. It will touch my son's classroom. The heavy construction will be done in the summer but next fall I am in a pickle. 

We are meeting with the principal to see what accommodations they can make regarding noise pollution and my son's classroom and music room. My son has a very hard time hearing in the low-frequency range ( like air conditioners) he always sits at the front of the class and we could have an FM system if needed. 

So then there is the option of Homeschool BUT my house is right next to the construction as well so I would have to either move my son to another school ( don't want to do that because I finally got this school trained and on target) or homeschool around construction ( which I have to do for therapy but is going to suck)

Any thoughts ? Ideas brainstorm? 

We will probably go out there for an eval as part of a family vacation over summer break. I am asking them if there is any initial evals we can do at home to see if my son would be a candidate. Now after Fast Forword he tests in the normal range. I just don't want to over task his already strained auditory processing with a noisy classroom. We will likely either home school or change schools. 

• Like 1

I don't know, I didn't think the eval was lightning bolt astonishing. The only thing we thought my dd would flag in is what she flagged in (dichotic listening). She uses it and it helps her. 

They didn't actually have data on which populations it would help or correlating intake scores to results. It was totally absurd in that sense. It's more just if you need something and are willing to take a crap shoot, there you go. Like I said, it's helping dd, but you'd have no guarantee who it would help or whether it would help his particular issues. 

There's so much controversy on APD. The SLPs are saying it reflects underlying language processing issues. Personally I thin that oversimplifies it too, because I *suspect* if we dug in enough my dd has retained reflexes causing it. Her reflexes will integrate and reappear with stress. I can't really wait around hoping something will solve it and it's absurd for the SLPs to say if I did language work it would solve it. *I* think the dichotic listening is a retained reflex issue. Kbutton said it and it just makes sense. But are other aspects of APD connected to language processing? Sure.

I love it when the "experts" don't have answers and we have to make up our own ideas and hope for the best.

Hmm, homeschool or another school. At least you have options. Can you visit the other school? 

Yes it is controversial and far more complex and poorly study. The best Research is from the National Hearing Institute in Australia.  I have actually noticed the stress thing with both my kids. They will have a situation we have trained for, done therapy for, remediated the heck out of and boom the dormant stuff comes out when they are stressed. Hearing in noise is directly linked to Auditory memory so if your daughter works to strengthen that continually it will always benefit the HIN issues. There is a program called LACE for adults that is very affordable and very good for that. 

I do want to consult with Able kids. My insurance would not likely cover it so I would have to look up what an eval would involved and the filter would cost. 

For dichotic work, Fast Forword helped a lot based on the SLP testing, as did the hearing in noise ( both of things that FF does not work on at all) He now tests normal in all areas of the CAPD profile after doing that program as well as acoustic pioneer and Hearbuilder. 

Going forward we will do 

Handwriting alignment and spacing

Finish Speach articulation

15-20 more sessions with IM

Soundstorm ( an intensive app by the australians for hearing in noise)

Cogmed over the summer or a writing program I haven't decided yet what will be of the most help. 

Hanwriting

The thing is construction stresses the situation and I am concerned it will be a strained year and the auditory stress of the low frequency noise will make My son start shutting down again. I am going to have to so something. We are meeting with the principal to see what options we have as far as FM system, relocating my sons classroom to the other side of the school etc. My plan right now is to try it and if it isn't working switch to homeschool. I am researching curriculums right now. 

• Like 1

I haven't heard of Able Kids...  I'm going to check on that site to see if it my have suggestions for my dh!

About your ds...  My dd has a hearing disorder (not auditory processing) and either needed to sit in the very front row or wear hearing aids.  (The hearing aids weren't a perfect solution, but they helped.)  But I can see that the construction noise situation would be different.  When my dd was in college, they told her that another option was for the teacher to wear a small mic that would wirelessly connect to headphones that the student would wear.  So every time the teacher would speak, the sound would be re-directed to the student's headphones.  It didn't affect the other students at all.  Of course it did mean that the teacher would have to remember to wear the mic-piece, but it didn't sounded like a big deal.  In the end, my dd didn't feel she needed that, but I wonder if that would be a solution for your ds?

23 hours ago, J-rap said:

So every time the teacher would speak, the sound would be re-directed to the student's headphones.  It didn't affect the other students at all.

That's the FM system she said they may have access to.

On December 14, 2018 at 9:48 AM, exercise_guru said:

He now tests normal in all areas of the CAPD profile

That's awesome! Hearing with background noise (which maybe isn't the same as dichotic listening? It's early in the morning, lol) was my dd's only issue. To me, I was pretty pragmatic about it. We needed to solve the problem and the filter solved the problem. The ABLE Kids testing was not impressive and it did not show anything we didn't already know. I would guess that it would basically fit what you already know. If he's not having trouble with background noise or ANY parameters of CAPD testing now, I don't see the point. 

Noise pollution is stressful to all people. It doesn't seem reasonable for them to have that much noise around anyone. I would move to Hawaii for a year. :biggrin:

• Like 1