Menu

What's with the ads?

NewIma

Pride really does go before the fall ..

Please don't quote. I will delete later.

So I haven't had a paycheck in over 12 years and 3 months ago I was asked to write an article about something I am passionate about for a free but really nice magazine in our city. I was so excited and even pitched writing a monthly piece about another passion. The magazine loved the idea and I've been happily writing and thrilled to be earning some money. Things are really tight now and I thought I was earning enough to pay for my dd's braces.

Well today my first paycheck came and it was for 1/10 of what I expected. At first I thought it was a mistake but then I looked back at my messages. She had said they pay $.055 a word but I had read that as $0.55 a word. This means I've actually been working for far far less than minimum wage.

I feel heartbroken and embarrassed. I had been so excited to be doing something with a tangible reward and outside validation and now I just feel stupid. Plus, I've told people about how excited I was to have my first job in years and to be making money and now I'll have to tell them the truth. So freaking humiliating....

Plus, I have to decide if I want to keep writing for nothing or not... I feel like such a fool.

• Sad 17

Hugs! Your friends don't have to know . . . You could maybe see what else there is that pays more. There's freelance work out there that pays more, but looking for it takes time, too.

• Like 9

((hugs))

Consider this a stepping stone.  Use it to springboard into other writing positions elsewhere, or consider it a step back into the workforce and something to put on a resume.  It's not wasted effort, it's just not what you expected.  You have no reason to feel like a fool.

• Like 27

Just think of it as practice.  I did accounts for the guy I am now working for just for the practice and I am glad I did.

• Like 7

That’s not pride.  That’s self-respect.  I would have read it the same way and had to read it three times to understand what you were upset about.  

Dpringboard, andmaybe a relatively cheap learning experience.  Thank you for sharing do we can all learn.  That’s exactly the same kind of mistake I would have made.  

• Like 7

I’m so sorry. I’m sure that is very disappointing. But don’t feel like a fool! It was an honest, easy mistake to make. Plus, you’ve enjoyed the job!

• Like 3

Oh, man. I would so make a mistake just like that! But I also agree with those who said you don’t need to clarify it with friends. I remember one time I made a really big and almost extremely expensive mistake (was able to reverse the charge by jumping through some crazy fine-print hoops), but I was so embarrassed and felt so foolish. I begged dh to please, please, please, don’t tell anyone - his brothers, his mom, his friends - please don’t tell anyone! Eventually, it wasn’t such a big deal and I used it as a warning lesson in a class, even. 

But I write, too, and I can imagine how you might feel. It will be okay. 

• Like 3

1. You told people you were earning money by writing. you are, just less than you thought.No need to clarify, no one needs to see your paycheck!

2. This is something you can use as a stepping stone to other writing opportunities, for sure. Not a waste at all!

• Like 9

Not wasted. Not at all.

now you have print articles for your resume. That’s big In the writing world. Truly it is.

its a stepping stone and you’re getting experience. 

I’ve written for far less money, but when I write I keep in mind how much time I need to spend on something. 

I promise im a content writer and it’s great experience.

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 8

Being published means a lot even if you are underpaid - I suggest that you keep it going since you are enjoying it until you find something that is better paying. If you start job hunting or looking for freelance work, this will give you a great boost and a recent reference. Many people actively look for ways to build up their resume after a break from working and for you the opportunity to rewrite your resume presented itself. It sounds like you like the job and the salary is the only problem with it.

I agree with others who said not to discuss how much you are making on this job. It is not necessary to let anyone know about it. Don't be embarrassed about it. You will get much better opportunities because you have your foot in the door and your work is being regularly published as well. Stick with this until something better comes along. 

• Like 2

Aw, man. I'm sorry. That is so disappointing.

I totally would have made the same mistake, and in fact did when reading your post. I had to go back and reread, and I STILL thought you'd made a typo! I did finally figure it out... 😄

I agree with the others: No one needs to know you made this mistake, and it's definitely good experience for leveraging into something else in the future, if you so choose. But I do understand what a bitter disappointment it must be. 

• Like 1

OK, first, a big hug to you. I get it.

Second, with regard to your friends, nothing has changed. It's absolutely none of their business what your paycheck looks like. You're still writing, you're still being published, you're still being paid. You don't owe them ANY kind of explanation or clarification.

Finally, with some published articles in your back pocket (and how EXCITING is THAT!), a bolstered resume, and the confidence that brings, you can knock on doors you might not have been able to access before.

Don't sell yourself short just because they pay peanuts. The value of what you're doing hasn't changed.

• Like 5

Thank you all so much for your comments and support. Last night I took a long bath and went to bed early. I still feel incredibly disappointed and sad this morning but I love how several of you mentioned that this is a resume builder. I hadn't thought of it that way, and it does make it seem like less of a loss and more a step in my journey. I had been so excited to combine what I love with making money, but maybe that can still happen down the road. Thank you again.  It means so much to me. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, NewIma said:

Please don't quote. I will delete later.

So I haven't had a paycheck in over 12 years and 3 months ago I was asked to write an article about something I am passionate about for a free but really nice magazine in our city. I was so excited and even pitched writing a monthly piece about another passion. The magazine loved the idea and I've been happily writing and thrilled to be earning some money. Things are really tight now and I thought I was earning enough to pay for my dd's braces.

Well today my first paycheck came and it was for 1/10 of what I expected. At first I thought it was a mistake but then I looked back at my messages. She had said they pay $.055 a word but I had read that as $0.55 a word. This means I've actually been working for far far less than minimum wage.

I feel heartbroken and embarrassed. I had been so excited to be doing something with a tangible reward and outside validation and now I just feel stupid. Plus, I've told people about how excited I was to have my first job in years and to be making money and now I'll have to tell them the truth. So freaking humiliating....

Plus, I have to decide if I want to keep writing for nothing or not... I feel like such a fool.

Why do you have to go and tell others about what happened? I understand that you are heart broken, but you do not need to be embarrassed. You do not owe anyone an explanation or to update them on the latest.  Also, do not think of this as a waste of time. You are in a job that pays (albeit not well) and are doing a good job and they like you. This gives you something to put on your resume when and if you decide to go for more employment, that pays more. Who knows, maybe next year or at some point, some other place will pick up your column and you can earn even more. 

15 minutes ago, NewIma said:

Thank you all so much for your comments and support. Last night I took a long bath and went to bed early. I still feel incredibly disappointed and sad this morning but I love how several of you mentioned that this is a resume builder. I hadn't thought of it that way, and it does make it seem like less of a loss and more a step in my journey. I had been so excited to combine what I love with making money, but maybe that can still happen down the road. Thank you again.  It means so much to me. 

LOL..I started my post before you posted this (it said you posted 8 minutes ago when I finished my post). But yeah...I agree. This is a chance to do something you love. And it is not just about the actual dollars you are earning. Glad you are feeling better this morning.

Oh, honey, that is not pride. You were excited to be doing something you loved. There is nothing wrong with that. I am sorry for the misunderstanding. But do not let that hold you back. It you love to write and someone is willing to publish it and pay you for it (even if it is way less than you thought), then just keep moving forward and looking for opportunities.

• Like 2