Menu

SELF-reporting scores with applications?!!

easypeasy

I'm browsing college websites looking over application requirements (DD is a senior, but is taking a gap year next year, so I'm in passive-information-gathering mode) and saw on Harvard's admission page (dd will not be applying to Harvard...) that, beginning with this year, when you send in an application, you only have to self-report test scores?!?

Are more schools doing that now?!? For those who applied this year, was this the case for most of the schools? If so, how WONDERFUL is that?!?

When dd1 applied, we had to send ACT test scores to each and every school with her application in order to be even considered for admission or scholarships! Apparently now Harvard will admit with self-reported scores, and then you have to send in the official scores upon enrollment. Only the AP scores were we able to self-report and only send in to the school-of-choice at the end.

How much $$ this saves during the application process! And what a relief for those late-sending test scores! We had a couple close calls right at deadlines where the ACT dragged their feet a bit about getting the scores out!

• Like 2

Only two schools had self-reporting, but it is a trend that is gaining followers. All DD's other applications (other than the self-reporting schools) were taken care of by sending scores when she took the test(s).

It would be great if more schools allowed for self-reporting of DE grades without requiring the official DE transcript be sent until admission time. Out DE school charges for each transcript, so it can add up.

• Like 2

Self-reporting is often implemented in the counselor report -- so the school is reporting it but saving the student the test score fee.

Some applications also have self-reported grades, where you only send your transcript after acceptance to confirm your self-reported grades were honest. Self-reported tests could be done along that fashion as well.

I suspect that many students will be tempted to report "the score I'm going to get on my next retake" though.

1 hour ago, JanetC said:

I suspect that many students will be tempted to report "the score I'm going to get on my next retake" though.

Yes, or create their own superscore even if the school doesn't use this policy.

I hope it does go this way as we spent so much money sending so many score dates (my boys actually did apply places that superscored for scholarships) but I know my family will be totally honest and by the book while I suspect not everyone will be. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Yes, or create their own superscore even if the school doesn't use this policy.

I hope it does go this way as we spent so much money sending so many score dates (my boys actually did apply places that superscored for scholarships) but I know my family will be totally honest and by the book while I suspect not everyone will be. 

But it will catch up with them if they lie (you still have to submit the official scores if you're admitted and decide to attend) and they can have their admissions offers rescinded if they lie on the application.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kokotg said:

But it will catch up with them if they lie (you still have to submit the official scores if you're admitted and decide to attend) and they can have their admissions offers rescinded if they lie on the application.

Oh I understand that. I still think people will do it. I wouldn’t worry about it because my family are strict rule followers to a fault. Lol. Not saying people will get away with it but people will try. 

• Like 2