Menu

High School Diploma for Special Needs Student

Hi,

I haven't been on a homeschooling forum in forever! I homeschooled for almost 10 years many years ago. My son, who has several disabilities, is now 26. He's deaf, learning disabled, has a borderline IQ of 76 or 78, and at 21 or so became mentally ill (that's the saddest part). He always had a HARD time learning, but especially math. He has no job or career prospects. My father says my son is good with auto mechanics and I have observed he's good with activities requiring spacial awareness. I'd like to put him in auto mechanic trade school and he'd like to go, but he cannot pass the math portion of the GED. The rest of it he has passed! It hurts my heart so much that he hasn't passed it and it's required for ANY sort of trade school. I'd like to just issue him a high school diploma based on the GED tests he did pass, but I'm afraid they'll ask for a transcript.  I don't know what to do. He needs a meaningful job he can do long term. He is floundering and cannot afford to live on his own. The group home he is now in will stop paying his rent soon. I'm single. I cannot afford his rent and my mortgage, but he has great difficulty living with me and has been violent. Just looking for advice on how I could issue him a homeschool high school diploma without them asking too many questions. Thanks! 

• Sad 1

What are the requirements for a homeschool diploma in your state?  In our state, I can make up a transcript based on the classes that we have completed.  (I would put down things like 9th grade Special Ed. English if his level is such that he can not do regular classwork.) 

Since you have a IQ score, I am assuming that you have had formal evaluations done.  You can take the paperwork from those evaluations to the disability office at the trade school and ask for appropriate accommodations.  They may even have special programs for students in similar situations. 

• Like 6

Hi Jean,

Thank you for your input! He was homeschooled in Florida. We're now in WA. It's been so long I don't recall the requirements, plus he was never at level nor would he have been in p.s. I will take your advice and contact the school about his IQ test. He doesn't know about the test though and I don't want him to find out. Can you imagine how devastating it would be to know this? :-( 

• Like 1

I'm not in Fl or WA.  But am dealing with special ed diploma in another state.  Our state has "alternate academic diploma" standards for math and language arts and other subjects for students who seem to fit criteria you listed.  I'll send you some links in private messages to not clutter up the forum with those course titles and standards.  I've noticed on NARHS (north america regional high school) that they issue diploma with 17.5 credits, requiring a minimum of 2 math and allow career math with accommodations.  They also give certain credits for passing GED at certain levels.    But I'd also recommend talking with the trade school about accommodations for special ed with the IQ and documentation you have.  They may have options.  

• Like 3

It sounds like he would have been on an IEP had he attended public school. Students on an IEP do graduate from high school. My son attends a public high school, and he will receive a diploma. His core classes are called "Life Skills English," "Life Skills Math," "Life Skills Social Studies," and "Life Skills Science." He also takes adaptive electives, such as "Adaptive Physical Education" and "Adaptive Art." These classes are all specifically tailored to his abilities. He has IEP goals that he works on instead of following a set curriculum for many of his classes. The science and social studies classes are completely nontraditional. They're all about life skills. For instance, he did a program about nutrition and health. He goes on field trips, and he learns about money. He has specific jobs, such as selling brownies that he makes in class. He learns about community safety and job skills.

There's no reason you can't graduate your son from high school. It appears that Florida has a Special Diploma option, which your son would qualify for because he is deaf. However, I don't know if homeschoolers need to use this option. In your case, I would be inclined to say that you can give a standard high school diploma, especially since he was able to pass most of the GED. I would start by putting together a transcript. I would also search for groups specifically for homeschoolers in Florida. You can probably find a group on facebook.  You can ask them for information specific to the state in which you homeschooled. You may also be able to graduate him from Washington if that's easier, depending on when you moved and when you want to say he completed high school. If he's been working on the GED recently, then you could say you have continued homeschooling and include that work on his transcript. 

• Like 6

Thank you cbollin and 6wildhorses for the great ideas! He was in public school from pre-school to grade 1. Didn't learn a thing. Then about 2 years in high school in WA. Totally worthless. Everything he does know he learned from homeschooling. I am grateful he passed most of his GED. So much I wish I could re-do though. :-/ 

• Like 1

Try your local or state department of rehabilitation. Their purpose is to work with people with disabilities to get them employed. Services can vary by state, but in general, they will provide resources for basic education, job skills training, even assistive technology necessary to hold down a job.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, City Mouse said:

Try your local or state department of rehabilitation. Their purpose is to work with people with disabilities to get them employed. Services can vary by state, but in general, they will provide resources for basic education, job skills training, even assistive technology necessary to hold down a job.

Unfortunately, there is a waiting list. He's on it but he can't wait. He was delayed getting on the list when he was 18 for some unknown reason. He received a letter in the mail saying he was "ineligible"! Absurd!! They are incompetent. So now he's 26, almost 27 and just getting on the list. I abhor government entities. Thanks though! Lol

• Like 1

Since he passed the rest of the GED, please don't feel guilty about issuing him a standard diploma.  My daughter, who will be issued a standard diploma by me, may only have Basic Math, Consumer Math, and Math for the World of Work on her transcript (we'll see...).  Also, I recommend doing a subject transcript, rather than a chronological one. 

Community college may be easier to enroll in than a trade school, and they will likely already have a pretty robust set of services for disabled students already in place.  Is that an option for him?

Perhaps while he's waiting for his job training, he could apply at Goodwill.  They're set up to accommodate workers with all types of disabilities.  

Last, here's a list of jobs from Occupational Outlook  that only require on-the-job training.  Maybe one of them will pique his interest.  

I wish you the best ❤️ 

• Like 3

Is he on disability? If not, I would definitely pursue it, along with other benefits. With full benefits, he might be able to manage even with just a part-time job or handyman type stuff. Does he have a social worker? 

Why is the group home going to stop paying his rent? Was it just for a certain period of time, or is there another specific reason? 

Can he communicate with hearing people with a hearing aid or by reading lips? Can he drive? Large car dealerships often hire people to wash the cars, move them around, drive people home when their cars are getting fixed, deliver stuff from parts to service. This would be a way for him to meet some of the mechanics, maybe pick up some knowledge, see if he would like it. They usually want these general workers to be able to drive customers home as needed, that's why I asked those particular questions. 

What about vocational rehab? 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2018 at 10:34 AM, shinyhappypeople said:

Since he passed the rest of the GED, please don't feel guilty about issuing him a standard diploma.  My daughter, who will be issued a standard diploma by me, may only have Basic Math, Consumer Math, and Math for the World of Work on her transcript (we'll see...).  Also, I recommend doing a subject transcript, rather than a chronological one. 

Community college may be easier to enroll in than a trade school, and they will likely already have a pretty robust set of services for disabled students already in place.  Is that an option for him?

Thank you for your encouragement! 

In my area, community college has more requirements than trade schools. Trade schools only require GED and Accuplacer exam. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, katilac said:

Is he on disability? If not, I would definitely pursue it, along with other benefits. With full benefits, he might be able to manage even with just a part-time job or handyman type stuff. Does he have a social worker? 

Why is the group home going to stop paying his rent? Was it just for a certain period of time, or is there another specific reason? 

Can he communicate with hearing people with a hearing aid or by reading lips? Can he drive? Large car dealerships often hire people to wash the cars, move them around, drive people home when their cars are getting fixed, deliver stuff from parts to service. This would be a way for him to meet some of the mechanics, maybe pick up some knowledge, see if he would like it. They usually want these general workers to be able to drive customers home as needed, that's why I asked those particular questions. 

What about vocational rehab? 

Yes, he's on Social Security (based on his past work/earnings) and SSI (a meager $25 a month). Both of those equal barely over $500 a month. If he works -- even PT -- that is reduced. If he lives with me, that is reduced too, as I'm too close of a relation therefore I am expected to financially help him (because I'm NOT helping by paying more for utilities and food???). Oh and if I give him money to help him, it's reduced even more. (Hmmm, makes no sense.) He's on Medicaid and Medicare; neither pay for hearing aids or their maintenance. I do.  

Even group homes have rent. The hospital placed him there. I don't know who's covering the rent, but after a few months, he'll be fully responsible for it. In Seattle, even a room for rent is upwards of $600 a month (for a dirty place!).

He wears one hearing aid (the other is too deaf for him to benefit from it) that I bought from Costco because of the price, but it's lousy. Reading lips is a myth. Only 20% or so is discernible. Not reliable for work. He doesn't drive. :-(  He knows how and can do it just fine, but he panics each and every time so I don't trust him to do it alone. Once, he spaced out in what I think was perhaps panic and approached a cluster of traffic on the highway at a dead stop going 65-70 mph. He didn't even slow down. I had to yell at him to slow down pointing out the traffic ahead. It was weird and scared the daylight out of me. 

Vocational rehab = waiting list. Who knows how long that'll be. 

It's really all on me to help him. :-/  I really NEED God to step in here and help him directly. He NEEDS a miracle. He needs a meaningful job that makes him enough money to live on. He's still a man, and needs work. There is dignity in work, not in forever receiving charity. 

Thanks everyone for the ideas and encouragement! 

Edited by DaisyCD
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, DaisyCD said:

Yes, he's on Social Security (based on his past work/earnings) and SSI (a meager $25 a month). Both of those equal barely over $500 a month. If he works -- even PT -- that is reduced. If he lives with me, that is reduced too, as I'm too close of a relation therefore I am expected to financially help him (because I'm NOT helping by paying more for utilities and food???). Oh and if I give him money to help him, it's reduced even more. (Hmmm, makes no sense.) He's on Medicaid and Medicare; neither pay for hearing aids or their maintenance. I do.  

Everything in this paragraph is ridiculous. How do they not pay for hearing aids?? That's crazy. 

I'm sorry that both of you are having to deal with this. It shouldn't be so hard to get help that you truly and obviously need. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@DaisyCDLet us assume that he can pass the required Math examinations and is admitted to the Trade School.  After he is admitted, is he capable of keeping up with the class and doing the assignments? That, to me, is more important than the first step which is him getting a High School diploma or a G.E.D. You do not want to set him up for failure.  

Much good luck to him!

On 12/23/2018 at 1:49 PM, DaisyCD said:

Vocational rehab = waiting list. Who knows how long that'll be.

again, different location and situation from yours.  But several people in my area who get SSI and other benefits are also part of Ticket to Work program. maybe it's wait list too in your area, but wanted to mention it. https://choosework.ssa.gov/about/how-it-works/index.html

situations vary of course.  not all of those opportunities are only coordinated through VoRehab. check the FAQ over there to see about which benefits are still kept and all of that Iwithout reductions while on ticket to work. and I hope you can find someone local in your area who can advocate for navigating it.  also, around here if a person is at high risk of becoming homeless very soon then person is moved up on waiting list.  I've only heard parents and aides talking about this program while we're all sitting around at special olympics.  so I don't know much.

10 hours ago, Lanny said:

@DaisyCDLet us assume that he can pass the required Math examinations and is admitted to the Trade School.  After he is admitted, is he capable of keeping up with the class and doing the assignments? That, to me, is more important than the first step which is him getting a High School diploma or a G.E.D. You do not want to set him up for failure.  

Much good luck to him!

How am I supposed to answer that, as it's expecting me to know the future? If he's never done an auto mechanic's class, how can he or I know if he'll do well or not?  What's the alternative? Assume he's incapable of everything and not even try? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cbollin said:

again, different location and situation from yours.  But several people in my area who get SSI and other benefits are also part of Ticket to Work program. maybe it's wait list too in your area, but wanted to mention it. https://choosework.ssa.gov/about/how-it-works/index.html

situations vary of course.  not all of those opportunities are only coordinated through VoRehab. check the FAQ over there to see about which benefits are still kept and all of that Iwithout reductions while on ticket to work. and I hope you can find someone local in your area who can advocate for navigating it.  also, around here if a person is at high risk of becoming homeless very soon then person is moved up on waiting list.  I've only heard parents and aides talking about this program while we're all sitting around at special olympics.  so I don't know much.

The Ticket to Work outgoing phone message refers me to my local DVR. The DVR social worker assigned to my son says the Ticket to Work program doesn't make a difference. It will not move him up the waiting list. 

My son has been homeless before. It too didn't make a difference. Seattle has a ton of homeless now. 

• Sad 2

On 12/23/2018 at 11:39 AM, DaisyCD said:

In my area, community college has more requirements than trade schools. Trade schools only require GED and Accuplacer exam. 

What are the requirements for the CC?  Here in CA, you have to be 18 and take the accuplacer.   The accuplacer is strictly for placement; admissions doesn't hinge on getting a certain score.  

14 minutes ago, shinyhappypeople said:

What are the requirements for the CC?  Here in CA, you have to be 18 and take the accuplacer.   The accuplacer is strictly for placement; admissions doesn't hinge on getting a certain score.  

Here (in the same state as Daisy) you take the Compass tests.  They too are for placement.  I would guess that anyone who passed the GED would place in a class offered. 

@DaisyCD  in many areas, there are private employment networks (not just VR) who participate in apprenticeship programs via Ticket to Work.  You might glean some info from the  Ticket to work website and listen to some archived webinars to find connections and ideas about stuff.  (I'm doing that currently. learning what they offer and don't.  it may not be what we use, but it's useful information to me and wanted to share it with you.   In my daughter's case (which is very different from your son's case), we're doing private sector route on work options and not bothering right now with the wait lists either with ssi, PASS or Ticket2work, etc.  Besides, I've heard mixed reviews from my friends on the caseworkers and job coaches.  oh my.  one of my friends plans to move to another state to get better services. Another one put her adult child on plane to another state to be in job corps (which your son is too old for, I know.. not the point). One of my friends is the advocate for her son and some other people to get the good job coaches.    I say all of that in hopes of encouraging you that lots of us are doing the best we can with the system and outside the system and yes it's frustrating.  My prayers for you echos what you said up the thread in that you see God stepping in soon and letting you know the next step for employment and all of that. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2018 at 5:28 PM, DaisyCD said:

How am I supposed to answer that, as it's expecting me to know the future? If he's never done an auto mechanic's class, how can he or I know if he'll do well or not?  What's the alternative? Assume he's incapable of everything and not even try? 

If Math is a stumbling block for him, and if  Math is part of what he will need to do, in the classes he participates in, and in his work as an automobile mechanic, you probably have some idea of how he might perform with the Math, based on his previous tests and his knowledge of Math and ability or non-ability to apply it to solve problems.

Incapable of everything and not even try? That would never be anything I would suggest to someone. 

There are different specialties for automobile mechanics now. Some of them are quite complex. I would suggest that he look at some kind of "general" mechanics since your father thinks he has some capability in that area.

I’d check if the trade school will even accept a homeschool diploma. Unfortunately, Many do not, they require a diploma or GED.

In my state, without the typical math requirements, no student gets a diploma. There are no IEP diplomas anymore.

it sucks. 

Have you looked into other nearby states to see if there are shorter or no waiting lists for waivers or employment services for someone in his shoes? Moving may be necessary, sadly.

good luck!

Edited by Hilltopmom

On 12/11/2018 at 3:43 PM, 6wildhorses said:

It sounds like he would have been on an IEP had he attended public school. Students on an IEP do graduate from high school. My son attends a public high school, and he will receive a diploma. His core classes are called "Life Skills English," "Life Skills Math," "Life Skills Social Studies," and "Life Skills Science." He also takes adaptive electives, such as "Adaptive Physical Education" and "Adaptive Art." These classes are all specifically tailored to his abilities. He has IEP goals that he works on instead of following a set curriculum for many of his classes. The science and social studies classes are completely nontraditional. They're all about life skills. For instance, he did a program about nutrition and health. He goes on field trips, and he learns about money. He has specific jobs, such as selling brownies that he makes in class. He learns about community safety and job skills.

This is state specific, unfortunately. In my state there is no diploma for these special ed students. They can get a certificate that says they attended school but it is not a diploma and cannot be used for positions that require a diploma.

so be sure to check on your state options

Edited by Hilltopmom

19 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

I’d check if the trade school will even accept a homeschool diploma. Unfortunately, Many do not, they require a diploma or GED.

In my state, without the typical math requirements, no student gets a diploma. There are no IEP diplomas anymore.

it sucks. 

Have you looked into other nearby states to see if there are shorter or no waiting lists for waivers or employment services for someone in his shoes? Moving may be necessary, sadly.

good luck!

In the OP's state (which is also mine), she can issue a diploma herself.  And there is no trouble with it being accepted.  Also, didn't she say that he has passed the GED?  So he could use that as documentation or supplemental documentation. 

I have a 17 yo DD with a very similar profile to your son's! (mild sloping to profound deafness in both ears, borderline intellectual disability, adhd, etc.) I suggest either just issuing him a parent homeschool diploma. He completed the work, he's clearly capable in language arts, and he needs the piece of paper. Public high schools issue diplomas to kids with special needs who are lower functioning than your son all the time. For kids like your son and my daughter, they often offer "creative" ways to fulfill the requirements for graduation (they lower the graduation score requirements, offer alternative math courses, etc.)

Now, if the trade school or whatever program you're thinking of for him might put up a stink about a homeschool diploma, you could always enroll him for 1 year in a distance learning program. Seton Home Study (a Catholic option, though I think they'd work with a non-Catholic student?) does this regularly through their special services program for young adult students who for whatever reason were unable to get a regular diploma during the usual high school time. Then there'd be an accredited school saying for sure that he met the requirements and that he has graduated high school. This is what we're doing for my own daughter because with her level of functioning I know she wouldn't be able to argue her point if an employer or trade school ever put up a fuss about her homeschool diploma. So she'll get a Seton diploma which will be nice to have.

However, I really think in your situation you can just issue him a homeschool diploma dated to the year he 'graduated' (18 or 19 years old) and let him use that. 9/10 times that is all people want to see and the young adult is good to go. Type up a professional transcript yourself too. Simply code courses as "English 9, English 10, English 11, English 12" and "Basic Mathematics, Algebra I, Consumer Math" and so on. No need to worry about the specific books he needed to use in each level. We're doing middle school novels and a remedial writing course this coming year but it'll still be "English 10" on my daughter's transcript.

And I hear you on SSI and everything being a pain. Hearing aids aren't covered here either, which is really rough! They were covered 100% in our prior state :/  And the SSI amounts are awfully minimal and all. We're like you and really aiming for our daughter to be as self-supporting as possible because to live on SSI she'd definitely need to live with us AND seek other sources of aid, all of which I'd need to do for her since she wouldn't be able to navigate the system (I have a college degree and it makes my head spin!).

Good luck, and I hope you're able to get him everything he needs to get into a training program!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I know this post is a bit old but I’m new to the board and wanted to echo an earlier recommendation to contact NARHS (North Atlantic Regional High School) out of Maine. I’m just starting to look into it myself but I believe they would give your son credit for all the subjects he passed on the GED and then you’d just need to teach him the math for them to give him that credit as well. They let you as the homeschooling parent decide what he should learn and what materials will be used though, so you could pick something more practical and attainable. They are an accredited school and the diploma they issue should be accepted anywhere.

On 12/23/2018 at 11:39 AM, DaisyCD said:

That's weird.  The CC here requires that you be a WA state resident who is over high school age and that you take the Accuplacer if you want to access math or English courses (and, by extension, courses that have those prerequisites).  No GED (or high school diploma).  The CC also serves as the trade school for the area.

You can also get a high school diploma through the CCs here.

Edited by EKS

Hi Medicmom2.0,

So my son hasn't entered auto mechanic school, much to my disappointment. I bought a really nice-looking homeschool diploma (a service for homeschoolers) and my son named his high school Riverdale, from the Archie Comics! (He has a really good sense of humor!) We laughed about that for days!!! LOL I homeschooled in FL where we weren't required to name our school. Because of his mental illness (schizo-affective disorder), he was able to get connected with a mental health care group in WA that provides a subsidized housing for 2 years and support services. He got a part-time job at HomeGoods. I'd prefer he'd learn a trade that he can take with him anywhere and even start a small shop (with my help, of course). Mechanics make a killing. My father helped his young protege start a shop and at 40-ish he retired!  

I covet everyone's prayers for him! My son is SUPER challenging and I'm alone here in WA. No family support even if they were nearby.  Thank you for asking! 

• Like 2

Is there a state office of protection and advocacy? This is essentially legal aid specific to people with disabilities. It is amazing how much a letter from a lawyer starts opening doors. Some independent living centers also have a lawyer who works with them for this purpose.