Menu

PSAT scores out

Just sat down with my girl tonight...I'm very happy but she is a bit disappointed. Her index is 210 - our state cutoff is 220. She missed 4 on the math section (which is an improvement over last year...I tried to point that out to her as she worked so, so hard on her math prep). Her Writing and Reading scores were perfect...it's that math that gets my kids every.single.time. It's hard because she hoped to score higher.

• Like 4

DD has been dreading the score release.  She is pretty happy.  NMSQT index of 220.  Will most likely miss the cut-off for Virginia, but should be commended.  December SAT release later this week is also dreaded, mostly because she's afraid the curve will be bad.  She thinks she only missed one math question and maybe 1-2 reading, but is upset that the math wasn't more challenging.  Based upon the SAT scores, we'll see if she is done, re-takes the SAT or just goes for the ACT (when we compared her scores before, she actually favors the ACT).   She's going for a 1560, and has tested (practices) as high as 1580.  One down, one to go -- and God willing, after this summer no more of these tests.  Just want to move on to college applications and a lighter senior year!

(Heha...light for her... no science, but will have Diff. Calc, linear algebra, advanced statistics and discrete math...hahaha).

• Like 3

DD is a sophomore and didn't prep at all.  She was hoping so see what she got raw and then go from there to prep for next year.  She is pretty close to the cut off with no prep so hopefully she will make the cut off next year.  She is 99th % in writing and reading but needs to bring math up a tad.  

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 4

DS is a good but not stellar student and we were thrilled with his scores. 99th percentile in Reading and 88th in math, which is a huge accomplishment for this decidedly non mathy kid!!! We knew scholarship $ from NM was out of reach for him, but weren't sure where he'd score as far as college admissions go. The paperwork said it was likely he could raise his score by 110 with test prep, so we are hoping that's true and if so he'll be in a really good range for acceptance at the school he's looking at. Yay!

• Like 10

You all's kids did awesome! We are happy with dd's, though she isn't in the range of your scores.  She had a 98th percentile for reading/writing, but really bombed the math. Her score went down 6 from last year's. Guess it was a really off day. We needed to raise it from last year, not dip. Math has been a struggle, so this is ok for her.  I am hoping for a jump at least when she takes the SAT a couple of times later this year. 

• Like 5

D's (10th grade) took it and scored in the 42nd percentile.  We have what I think is a rigorous school but testing has never been his thing.  We live in NY and he has taken the Iowa test many times with similar results.  This guy has been one of my hardest working students because he doesn't intuitivally understand as easily as his brothers.  

I an posting for those who may be discouraged by scores.  They are not who your child is.  I also don't place a huge emphasis on them so that  may be a factor.  My oldest received a full ride scholarship based partly on his SAT score so I do realize the importance of these tests, but there is something about the principle of the whole system that makes me not want to stress this kid out to jump through their hoops.  I will probably have him practice some over the next year to keep working on his test taking skills.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Meriwether said:

Dd15 didn't do as well as I thought she might. She hadn't prepped at all, so now I'm wondering if it is worth studying for it and taking it again next year as a Junior or if we should just stick to the ACT.

I don't know why, but it definitely seems to me that some kids do vastly better on the ACT than SAT...I'm sure the reverse must be true, too...

On 12/13/2018 at 9:55 AM, Blossom'sGirl said:

D's (10th grade) took it and scored in the 42nd percentile.  We have what I think is a rigorous school but testing has never been his thing.  We live in NY and he has taken the Iowa test many times with similar results.  This guy has been one of my hardest working students because he doesn't intuitivally understand as easily as his brothers.  

I an posting for those who may be discouraged by scores.  They are not who your child is.  I also don't place a huge emphasis on them so that  may be a factor.  My oldest received a full ride scholarship based partly on his SAT score so I do realize the importance of these tests, but there is something about the principle of the whole system that makes me not want to stress this kid out to jump through their hoops.  I will probably have him practice some over the next year to keep working on his test taking skills.

I totally agree! This is my dd who tests well. Her language score was 98 percentile, but her overall was only 87th because of her lower math scores. I am proud of her. I know she will do well in her chosen fields and will do ok in math. For her ok is enough. We keep at it. 

My next dd is a hard working, dyslexic artist. I haven't started her on testing yet. I will probably have her do the PSAT just as practice for SAT and ACT which she needs to receive our state's college tuition program that we qualify for. But I won't be stressing the scores. She just has to make a certain ACT score before college to receive it. 

• Like 2