Menu

What's Happening to Me?

fairfarmhand

I posted awhile back about my decisions to stop being a grumpy Christmas lady. 

Umm. Something weird is happening.

I bought a tree the Monday after Thanksgiving. In the past, I'd always waited because we do a real tree and that's a long time to keep it alive. That meant that in the two weeks before Christmas, when we have 2 birthdays, I was also trying to shop, celebrate birthdays, and buy and decorate a tree. So I thought if I get it done early, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. So I bought the tree and put it up in the sun room (this makes me happy because it's not hogging up major space in the corner of my living room. ) We took our time decorating the tree. It's a big tree and it took 3 days to finish but that's okay. We worked a little at a time. 

I found Christmas music that I didn't hate before Thanksgiving. This is big. It includes lots of Pentatonix, and Piano guys. Instrumental is good. I also prefer Christmas music about the religious aspects over other more cultural celebrations. No I do not want to Rock around the Christmas tree, nor do I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas. 

I figured out several nice gifts for my dh. I also found some simple gifts for my dad and brother. Each year, I stress out looking for the PERFECT gift when I just need to find something nice that says I thought of you. 

My kids are NOT IN THE HANDBELL CHOIR this year. I had no idea how running back and forth to rehearsals and performances was sapping my joy. I also declined to participate in our church Christmas program. The last few months have had some major stressors (not related to holidays) and I just don't have the energy for it.

All that to say, I'm not dreading the holidays. 

At least not entirely. Yes, there are still aspects that I won't enjoy, but I'm digging deep to find joy in some stuff.

So yesterday, it was icy and cold since we got some freezing rain. We were looking out the window at the ice and it began snowing, large fluffy flakes. I said. "Oh look! Snow. How pretty!" My dd looked at me and I clapped a hand over my mouth. I said. "What just came out of my mouth!" Dd said "You don't sound like yourself. What in the world? What's the matter with you?" 

So my Joyful Christmas Project is doing something. 

Strange things are happening around here.

• Like 48
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

I posted awhile back about my decisions to stop being a grumpy Christmas lady. 

Umm. Something weird is happening.

I bought a tree the Monday after Thanksgiving. In the past, I'd always waited because we do a real tree and that's a long time to keep it alive. That meant that in the two weeks before Christmas, when we have 2 birthdays, I was also trying to shop, celebrate birthdays, and buy and decorate a tree. So I thought if I get it done early, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. So I bought the tree and put it up in the sun room (this makes me happy because it's not hogging up major space in the corner of my living room. ) We took our time decorating the tree. It's a big tree and it took 3 days to finish but that's okay. We worked a little at a time. 

I found Christmas music that I didn't hate before Thanksgiving. This is big. It includes lots of Pentatonix, and Piano guys. Instrumental is good. I also prefer Christmas music about the religious aspects over other more cultural celebrations. No I do not want to Rock around the Christmas tree, nor do I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas. 

I figured out several nice gifts for my dh. I also found some simple gifts for my dad and brother. Each year, I stress out looking for the PERFECT gift when I just need to find something nice that says I thought of you. 

My kids are NOT IN THE HANDBELL CHOIR this year. I had no idea how running back and forth to rehearsals and performances was sapping my joy. I also declined to participate in our church Christmas program. The last few months have had some major stressors (not related to holidays) and I just don't have the energy for it.

All that to say, I'm not dreading the holidays. 

At least not entirely. Yes, there are still aspects that I won't enjoy, but I'm digging deep to find joy in some stuff.

So yesterday, it was icy and cold since we got some freezing rain. We were looking out the window at the ice and it began snowing, large fluffy flakes. I said. "Oh look! Snow. How pretty!" My dd looked at me and I clapped a hand over my mouth. I said. "What just came out of my mouth!" Dd said "You don't sound like yourself. What in the world? What's the matter with you?" 

So my Joyful Christmas Project is doing something. 

Strange things are happening around here.

First, I'm so glad for you that Christmas this year is more joyful.

I have the same Christmas musical taste as you.  How/where did you find your music?.  I'm pretty inept when it comes to streaming music.  I've only found "Choral Christmas music" channel on Pandora.  I'd love some instrumental stuff. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

I have the same Christmas musical taste as you.  How/where did you find your music?.  I'm pretty inept when it comes to streaming music.  I've only found "Choral Christmas music" channel on Pandora.  I'd love some instrumental stuff. 

this is wonderful.

and I also find groups on YouTube and look at the suggested videos that go alongside. 

And while I’m not Mormon, BYU puts out great music. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

this is wonderful.

and I also find groups on YouTube and look at the suggested videos that go alongside. 

And while I’m not Mormon, BYU puts out great music. 

Thanks!!  I will listen to this now.  I agree about BYU and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  I sung choral music most of my life and it's what I truly prefer to listen to Christmas or otherwise.  

Yay! I dread the holidays for about 6 months of the year. This is year three of trying to dig out of that. I am so, so happy for you! 

I would nix 90% of all Christmas programs if I had the ability to do so. I hear you on the music--someone needs to write dozens more songs (that aren't obnoxious) if they are going to play them 24/7 for a month or more. We simplified the tree to a plain wooden tree that my Dad made. It's like a 3D tree silhouette. I miss my ornaments, but maybe someday I'll have that kind of tree again. 

Do you make snowflakes? That's my happy place at Christmas, lol! I didn't watch with sound, but this is similar to how I fold mine, and the end result is the same. 

1 hour ago, PrincessMommy said:

If you have Amazon Prime, download the music app and you can find instrumental and choral Christmas music. They have Christmas stations but I have created my own playlist of songs that I like. 

My brother in law sent me a video of the St. Lucia service at the Lutheran Cathedral in Sweden.  I don't understand any of the words and recognize only a few hymns but the music is very beautiful and peaceful.  I thought of this thread and our conversation about Christmas music. 

It's about 50 mins long.  While it is also beautiful to watch, I'm just keeping the audio going in the background.  

https://www.svtplay.se/video/20339194/lucia

Enjoy.

• Like 2

Listening to Josh Groban's Christmas music is very relaxing. Traditional songs and that beautiful voice...

I'll have to follow your lead and try to get more excited about the gift giving aspect of Christmas. Money is always tight this time of year and I have no idea what to get for my adult children and their significant others.

On 12/10/2018 at 6:35 AM, PrincessMommy said:

I listen to piano guys on youtube.  they have their own channel and all their songs are uploaded to it.

I like Piano guys version of o come o come Emmanuel for an instrumental version. (it is one of my favorite christmas songs.

I also really like this music video of o holy night by gentri

I agree about I want to listen to music about Christ - not santa.   I also really like king's college choir.