Menu

What to do with all these chemistry supplies?

I have a lot - a LOT - of unused Chemistry supplies. Very expensive equipment and chemicals. Now that it's time to get rid of it, I realized that I have no idea what to do with it all! I mean, I could sell some of it locally, but there's no way I could sell all that I have without it looking like I've been running a drug lab or something! LOL (Oldest DD was very into Chemistry, so I sank a lot of $$ in it planning for the next two to be just as interested... Then DD's class ended up using a microchem set and did everything there instead of at home... so this stuff has just sat here for a few years 100% unused... and the next two have zero interest - in fact I have a microchem set also 100% unused! Argh!).

Should I call a school to see if they might want it? I really have no idea what to do and can't just toss it out!

if you were local, I would be interested, so I would offer it for sale to homeschoolers in the area. I don't think any homeschool family is going to think you are starting a drug lab.  😃  If you are in Ohio, let me know!  😃 

Another option: see if one of the local co-ops wants to buy it off of you.

Edited by cintinative

12 hours ago, easypeasy said:

I have a lot - a LOT - of unused Chemistry supplies. Very expensive equipment and chemicals. Now that it's time to get rid of it, I realized that I have no idea what to do with it all! I mean, I could sell some of it locally, but there's no way I could sell all that I have without it looking like I've been running a drug lab or something! LOL (Oldest DD was very into Chemistry, so I sank a lot of $$ in it planning for the next two to be just as interested... Then DD's class ended up using a microchem set and did everything there instead of at home... so this stuff has just sat here for a few years 100% unused... and the next two have zero interest - in fact I have a microchem set also 100% unused! Argh!).

Should I call a school to see if they might want it? I really have no idea what to do and can't just toss it out!

The other suggestions are good - selling things (or gifting things) to other homeschool families is probably your best way to go.  Regentrude is right about giving the chemicals to a school - they probably can't accept them - but they would probably gladly accept any equipment.

If you do end up needing to dispose of the chemicals, talk to your local fire department about hazardous waste disposal.  They often have a company that will come in and take away hazardous waste to be disposed of properly so the fire department would probably take the chemicals off your hands and make sure they are disposed of correctly.  If some of the chemicals are dilute solutions of ionic salts, those can go down your drain with lots of running water (nothing with heavy metals in it, though).  Do not pour organic substances or concentrated acids or bases down your sink - take the organics to the hazardous waste disposal folks and carefully (and correctly) dilute or neutralize the concentrated acids and bases before pouring them down the sink.  And no - pouring them down together and letting them neutralize each other in your drain is NOT a good idea. 😉 😄 Some solids could go into regular garbage but others should not - you're welcome to PM me if you aren't sure which are which.  🙂

On 12/10/2018 at 7:35 AM, regentrude said:

Offer it to other homeschoolers.

I doubt a school could legally acquire chemicals from an unlicensed source; that seems like a huge safety risk to me.

You are probably exactly right about the schools. What a bummer, though! These things are still sealed!

I WISH other homeschoolers in our area might be interested!  😕

On 12/10/2018 at 11:39 AM, cintinative said:

if you were local, I would be interested, so I would offer it for sale to homeschoolers in the area. I don't think any homeschool family is going to think you are starting a drug lab.  😃  If you are in Ohio, let me know!  😃 

Another option: see if one of the local co-ops wants to buy it off of you.

Bummer! Not in Ohio! 😄

On 12/10/2018 at 11:51 AM, Reefgazer said:

I may be interested in buying some of it.  If you can send me a list of what you have, I need to beef up my chemistry supplies  and may need something from your list. 

I will make up a list after Christmas and message you when it's ready! 🙂

On 12/10/2018 at 1:29 PM, Dicentra said:

The other suggestions are good - selling things (or gifting things) to other homeschool families is probably your best way to go.  Regentrude is right about giving the chemicals to a school - they probably can't accept them - but they would probably gladly accept any equipment.

If you do end up needing to dispose of the chemicals, talk to your local fire department about hazardous waste disposal.  They often have a company that will come in and take away hazardous waste to be disposed of properly so the fire department would probably take the chemicals off your hands and make sure they are disposed of correctly.  If some of the chemicals are dilute solutions of ionic salts, those can go down your drain with lots of running water (nothing with heavy metals in it, though).  Do not pour organic substances or concentrated acids or bases down your sink - take the organics to the hazardous waste disposal folks and carefully (and correctly) dilute or neutralize the concentrated acids and bases before pouring them down the sink.  And no - pouring them down together and letting them neutralize each other in your drain is NOT a good idea. 😉 😄 Some solids could go into regular garbage but others should not - you're welcome to PM me if you aren't sure which are which.  🙂

Good points @ you and Regentrude about the chemicals, but such a bummer. 😕 And good point about the fire department. I sure hope I don't have to just dispose of it! That would be tragic!!

On 12/10/2018 at 5:25 PM, cintinative said:

I need some glassware so if you think you could sell some of yours and ship it then let me know. I don't know about shipping chemicals. I am guessing there are rules about that?

I will make up a list after Christmas and message you when it's ready!   🙂

• Like 3