Menu

Gifts for 9 yr old science lover

Janeway

Suggestions? We have ordered from Home Science Tools in the past and been happy. We have Snap Circuits and Legos and K'nex. I would love present ideas. HST is having a sale but open to things from other places. I ordered that book (Constellation popup something book) from the unique gifts thread. I would love more ideas. Thanks!

This may be something to grow into but it has truly stunning pictures ~ Elements: A Visual Exploration of Every Known Atom in the Universe

There is also a puzzle ~ Elements Puzzle: 1000 Pieces

He might enjoy some of the Brown Paper School Books.  (Your library might have these titles and others.)

Math for Smarty Pants  by Marilyn Burns

The I Hate Mathematics! Book by Marilyn Burns and Martha Weston

Blood and Guts  by Linda Allison

Regards,
Kareni

Do you have any of the K’Nex motors? My son was never interested in any of the kits to build particular things, but he loved designing and building his own contraptions and then automating them with the motors. My first thought when I saw the title of your thread was Snap Circuits, but you already have those. I can’t remember much else we got our son who had similar interest to yours, but he always spent lots of time in his dad’s chemistry lab, so the things he could do there went way beyond any experiment kits or books. He did like playing with molecular model kits in addition to K’nex, but wasn’t much into Legos.

If a parent will get the materials and help, Backyard Ballistics is fun. 

At that age, dh built rockets with my boys. They had a ball. He also got them a metal detector. He hid ancient coins in tbe backyard (placed in shallow holes he dug) and they went  out on Christmas and found them .  (Then they spent a month soaking and scrubbing them. That's what kind of fun you have when your dad is an amateur biblical archeologist.)

• Like 1