Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
mmasc

Dog advice-broken toenail

I need wwyd advice. My dog broke/split her dew claw toenail in August. We had just moved, so I took her in to a new vet. He trimmed it and said that it was split so high, that to trim it past the split would be into the quick and very painful. Game plan was to try to let it grow out and heal while attempting to keep it from further damage. 

This week my girl did something that re-injured her toenail. She’s very active! So I took her in to another vet (I wasn’t super thrilled with the other). This one basically did and said the same thing, but recommended bringing her back in this week to have sedation and cut the toenail back past the split. It will be into the quick and require sedation due to the pain of the procedure.

I’m conflicted because this is a new-to-me vet, so no history there. Plus, is this good advice? I can see the logic of the procedure (the nail needs to be cut PAST where the split is to give it a chance to grow out properly), but won’t that be painful once it’s done and she’s awake? An Exposed quick? And an Opening for infection? Ugh 

Any thoughts or advice welcome. I’m just so torn because I don’t have my trusted vet anymore. Thanks!

2nd vet is the advice I'd expect. Sedate and trim cleanly and neatly back. They will cauterize the bleeding and then it should be fine. No playing in anything gross for a few days. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

2nd vet is the advice I'd expect. Sedate and trim cleanly and neatly back. They will cauterize the bleeding and then it should be fine. No playing in anything gross for a few days. 

Thank you...my gut is kind of telling me that this way makes sense because the logic is there, but it’s harder to trust when this vet is just a stranger to me.  

We just went through this with one of our Cavaliers. Yes, what the second vet told you is what our (very well-respected) vet did. While he was under sedation, we had his teeth cleaned and a cyst removed at the same time that the nail was treated. The poor thing came home in a cone and with one foot bandaged. The cone had nothing to do with his foot - it was to keep him from scratching the stitches above his eye where the cyst was removed. 

His foot was bandaged and taped, and we had to wrap it in plastic when he went outside. The vet recommended Glad Press-n-Seal for this. He also had to refrain from jumping and such, which wasn't a big deal for him. 😉  We took him back 4 days later to have the bandage removed, and he's been fine. He gets rid of the cone tomorrow. Hallelujah!  He didn't seem to be in any pain, but the bandage was a little hard to walk in. 

I hope everything goes well for your girl!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sugarfoot said:

We just went through this with one of our Cavaliers. Yes, what the second vet told you is what our (very well-respected) vet did. While he was under sedation, we had his teeth cleaned and a cyst removed at the same time that the nail was treated. The poor thing came home in a cone and with one foot bandaged. The cone had nothing to do with his foot - it was to keep him from scratching the stitches above his eye where the cyst was removed. 

His foot was bandaged and taped, and we had to wrap it in plastic when he went outside. The vet recommended Glad Press-n-Seal for this. He also had to refrain from jumping and such, which wasn't a big deal for him. 😉  We took him back 4 days later to have the bandage removed, and he's been fine. He gets rid of the cone tomorrow. Hallelujah!  He didn't seem to be in any pain, but the bandage was a little hard to walk in. 

I hope everything goes well for your girl!

Thank you for your reply. These confirmations are definitely helping me. Your experience gives me a bit of a timeline too, which is helpful at this busy time of year!

• Like 1