Menu

Your thoughts on Des Moines and/or Vegas?

Spryte

Posting for a friend:

I asked Spryte to post for me.

We are looking to move. The only one who would have a strong negative impact is the 15 year old. It will be a rapid move and we will not be notifying most of the family due to abusive dynamics. We may not even take anything that will not fit in the car. My husband is looking to transfer and we hope to be gone ASAP.

Two places are Des Moines, Iowa and Las Vegas. Neither is set in stone and we are open to other areas.

My son is 15 and a Freshman. He is planning to start taking classes at the community college to work on a CADD certificate or degree, in January. I am fine with paying for the classes this semester and them not transferring, I just want to know if it possible for him to enroll in community college in either area?

Other interests for the family:
We are all makers and gamers
The 15 year old is interested in all things space and aviation and has plans and is planning to pursue a pilot license.

2 hours ago, Slache said:

Everyone that I've met from Las Vegas hated living in Las Vegas. Good luck!

Yup. Hated.it. Desert. Ugly desert. Hard, hard water. And isolated. It's 500 miles or more to the next nearest population area. I say 500 miles, but it could be less. It just seemed like that far, because it really and truly is isolated. Also hot, because desert. Ugh.

I really know nothing about either location, but I'll chime in anyway! haha!

There is a large air force base in Las Vegas - Nellis - and they do a large exercise there every year with lots of very cool airplanes.  All of the military people we have known who have lived in Vegas have loved it.  

My dh is looking at a possible assignment there this summer.  I'm a little disappointed as I thought we would be moving back to a place we loved, but my son in law spent a couple years in Las Vegas and he had a million wonderful things to say about the area.  I think I could enjoy it!

• Like 1

IDK about homeschooling in Vegas, the desert heat would be enough for me to choose a suburb of Des Moines.

Iowa has dual enrollment with community colleges, which are actually good schools with guaranteed transfer agreements to any of the state universities.

If you're not interested in homeschooling DSM schools themselves aren't great, but the surrounding suburbs are - Ankeny, Altoona, West Des Moines are all great.  If you choose Ankeny or another small town to the North surrounding it your son would still be in commuting distance to Iowa State in Ames, which is the school of choice for most technical fields, engineering and architecture.

On the practical side, can she move some stuff into storage under the guise of decluttering then get it shipped from storage at a later date? I wouldn’t purchase all new beds/furniture/housewares/electronics to dodge relatives when you can dodge them locally with a little creative planning. 

• Like 1

Does the abusive person live in the house?    

Whenever I've moved I've gotten a storage unit to Get The Boxes Out Of My Hair.   Just loaded some into the trunk every day.   Could that be done?   Get a storage unit near the house.   Get boxes into the trunk when the abusive person wouldn't notice.  Drop some boxes off at the storage unit every time you leave the house.  

But, I wouldn't stay longer to do that.   Mental health is far too valuable.   Stuff is just stuff.   

On the other hand. I used to date this guy whose mom took her from their home with the dad in order to live with her psychiatrist.   He said the worse part was that he wasn't allowed to take her stuffed bear, etc.