Menu

What do you recommend for kitchen pots/pans and other items

Frances

Although we regularly cook a majority of our meals from scratch, we’ve never really invested in good kitchen items. We both had some basic items inexpensive items when we married and have added or been gifted some things over the years, but are really in need of an excellent set of pots/pans and knives at a minimum. We also used to have a combo blender/chopper that was quite handy, but never replaced it when it broke. 

We’re slowly remodeling our entire house and when the kitchen is done, we will have a gas stove. Currently we have a flat top electric, and since many of our pans are warped, then don’t sit flat on the burners.

My MIL wants to give us gifts rather than $ this year, so we thought we could start getting some high quality kitchen items and continue to add more over time. So please let me know about pots/pans/knives and anything else kitchen related you love and can’t live without, big or small (even our collection of kitchen utensils is pretty pathetic). Thanks!

And just to add, we do very little baking and that likely won’t change. Around here, cookie sheets are mainly used for roasting vegetables or meat or reheating food.

Wusthof knives. I bought one for dh. He thought it was silly to pay that much for a knife............and then he used it.  And then asked for more. 😄 They have changed his cooking.  They are so awesome that we gifted my sister a pair (chef's knife and smaller one) and now those are the only two she uses in her kitchen. 

As far as pans, I don't think you can go wrong with All-Clad.  Those are next on my list for dh, but for now we made sure we have ones with nice heavy copper bottoms.

ETA: We have the Wusthof Classic pieces.  I accidentally bought dh the Gourmet set last year and he very sheepishly asked me to take them back.  They are just not the same quality.   Ikon or Classic are the way to go, and you can get individual knives reasonably this time of year (DH's first knife was 60% off on Amazon). 

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 2

Seconding (thirding?) All Clad. It's so expensive but should last a lifetime if cared for properly.  And care is not difficult.

I have the large straight-sided saute pan with lid that I use constantly.  Also a large saucepan which is perfect for making candy, because though it's slower than thinner pans to heat, it heats up more evenly.  Not that I make tons of candy, but I do think of that this time of year!   I also have a few other pieces.  

• Like 2

My favorite and most-used kitchen items are:

• Müeller salad spinner
  • Nish mezzaluna
  • Microplane zester
  • a cheap ceramic Farberware knife ($14 at Walmart and I love it way more than my expensive knives)
  • Kuhn Rikon Swiss pull mini chopper
  • Oxo kitchen tongs
  • Vitamix blender
  • Cuisinart food processor
  • Staub Dutch oven
  • Le Creuset casseroles
  • Cuisinart stainless pots and pans
  • Like 3

we've had a lot of different kinds of cookware over the years.  most, didn't have much performance difference (even though there was a price difference.).  All-clad's really is better than what most people would use.  (it's cheaper than demeyer, or mauviel.)

I adore my all-clad d5.   their triply stainless is very good.  (don't bother with the copper core - the copper is pretty thin, and if you're going to spend that much for copper, call mauviel and order it from paris.)  I especially like as things are very unlikely to scorch.   (one even survived being left on the burner with nothing in it . . . . . . )

I have a few pieces that are lined - a 4qt saucepan (the first time I made bechamel sauce in it - wow! died and went to heaven), and an omelette pan. (with domed lid).  a 6qt saute . . for sauces/fillings.

I really like my cast iron griddle.  (fits over two burners)

the boys use my 9" cast iron frying pans for hamburgers.

I have a big cast iron dutch oven.

all-clad and cast iron (if properly cared for). . will last f.o.r.e.v.e.r. 

good cookware really does make a difference.

if you want to stretch the dollars for same thickness triply:  (while they did fine a performance difference, most people won't notice.)

cuisinart multi-clad pro - rolled rims, made in china

cuisinart french classic - straight rims, made in france

a tramontina line, but I'm not familiar with it.

and sur la table and williams sonoma both make a decent triply.

all the other "triplys" from the usual names - are thinner.  

do get metal lids - glass are nice to see-through, but they detract from performance as they suck up heat. 

KNIVES:

wusthof - we like them better than our henckles.

I've bought some old chicago walnut knives on ebay.  (they don't make that 12" slicer anymore . . . .  I'm really tempted about an 8" chef . . . . )   they don't hold their edge as long, but they're a good knife for the money.

dh has a professional electric knife sharpener.

• Like 1

I have a set of stainless steel (cast iron in the center)  waterless cookware that is over 40 years old and is still going strong. My mil had Revereware copper-bottom stainless which went to my dd when my mil passed away, and my dd is still using it; it's probably over 60 years old.

We have a set of Oneida flatware that is also over 40 years old. It's Oneida's higher quality stuff. It still looks great.

I have a Bosch Universal mixer which I love. And I have the food processor attachment, which is also priceless for things like grating cheese, chopping other random stuff, and making mayo.

I've been happy with my Vitamix blender.

• Like 1

Cast iron- we have a skillet and then a ceramic coated Dutch oven. Both Lodge. We use these for the majority of our cooking. 

We have either Wustof or Henckels knives- don’t feel like going down to the kitchen to check, just know they cost an arm and a leg. But we’ve had them for 14+ years and they are still great. 

For our stainless steel pots and pans we do have all-clad, but really, cast iron is SO much better. 

Finally, large wooden cutting boards. 

• Like 2

I agree that having some cast iron is definitely worthwhile.

Aside from cookware, I consider wide-mouth canning jars indispensable. Besides canning, I use them for salads, dry/pantry storage, leftovers... The pint size are good for freezing broth, or even as an extra drinking glass... I've even used one (without the lid) inside a Crock-Pot to keep some food out of the sauce that's on the rest. Get a funnel, too, for easier filling.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, school17777 said:

I would ask for one nonstick skillet for eggs.  I have a Tramolina one that I like.  Then an All-Clad piece and a cast iron piece in the sizes that you need.

As much as I like my stainless steel overall, it sucks for cooking eggs, so yeah, a nonstick for eggs.

People who love cast iron swear that they cook eggs without the eggs sticking, but I don't just want nonstick; I want sloping sides, because omelets. Is that possible with cast iron?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Frances said:

we thought we could start getting some high quality kitchen items ...

I wouldn't describe it as high quality but we like this -- Cuisinart Chef's Classic Stainless 5-1/2-Quart Multi-Purpose Pot with Glass Cover.  In fact, we like it so much, we bought a second one.

One of the reasons we like it is that it can go in the oven at high temperatures (up to about 500 degrees, as I recall). Many other pots have limits of 350 degrees or so.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

8. Quart multi pot

All Clad. Essential Pans.  There are two sizes: get both.  They work as frying pans, cooking pots, and casseroles.

All Clad 2 quart pot with the ceramic double boiler insert.

Then you are set for pots and pans, unless you do a lot of stir fry in which case you need a wok set from Taylor and No.

Kitchen Aide tilt head mixer, with no extra attachments.

Cuisineart food processor from Williams Sonoma, get the one that dices and has 2-3 bowl sizes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

KNIVES:

wusthof - we like them better than our henckles.

I've bought some old chicago walnut knives on ebay.  (they don't make that 12" slicer anymore . . . .  I'm really tempted about an 8" chef . . . . )   they don't hold their edge as long, but they're a good knife for the money.

dh has a professional electric knife sharpener.

A good set of knives is important (I like both my Henckels and Wusthof)--but the most important thing is a good knife sharpener to keep them sharp.  

A good pair of kitchen shears is handy.  

I use my eight cup Pyrex measuring cup for all kinds of things.

• Like 1

OK, the rest.  Pampered Chef salad spinner—best ever.  Oxo tools with big grips ditto.  

I love having beautiful mixing bowls.  They make my heart lift.  I have good untilitarian ones, stainless with stretch covers and nonskid bottoms, which are very practical, but my favorites are slippery, impractical but lovely heavy ceramic ones that are STUPID but beautiful. So there you have it.

ITA about Pyrex measuring cups.  Have a 1 cup, 2, 4, and 8.  You won’t be sorry.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ellie said:

As much as I like my stainless steel overall, it sucks for cooking eggs, so yeah, a nonstick for eggs.

People who love cast iron swear that they cook eggs without the eggs sticking, but I don't just want nonstick; I want sloping sides, because omelets. Is that possible with cast iron?

This? https://shop.lodgemfg.com/skillets-and-covers/pro-logic-10-inch-cast-iron-skillet.asp

• Like 2

Wusthof Classic knives.  Lots of stores have them on sale right now. For example, Macy's currently has a nice starter set with a 6" chef's knife and a 3.5" paring knife for $140 (40% off). Williams Sonoma has a larger set with an 8" chef's knife, 8" bread knife, 3.5" paring knife, and kitchen shears, with a knife block and honing steel for $200 (60% off). Avoid the "Gourmet" line due to lower quality (stamped rather than forged blades, and the angle of the blade edge is not as sharp). Also get the Wusthof sharpener if you buy the Classic knives, because it's specifically designed for the steeper 14 degree angle of Wusthof Classics. If you're also interested in some of the Wusthof Japanese knives, like the santoku or nakiri, they makes a dual sharpener that also handles the 10 degree angle of those blades.

Le Creuset pots and pans. If you only get one piece, get a 5.5 qt dutch oven. Other really useful pieces would be a 3.5 qt braiser (which also works as a 12" skillet), and a 2.75 qt dutch oven (really useful for smaller portions). The 2.75 qt often goes on sale (currently $130 at W-S). I have a really nice 2 qt All-Clad 5-ply saucepan, but once I got the Le Creuset 2.75 qt, I almost never use the All-Clad any more. Staub is also really good, if you like their style and/or colors better.

Love my Vitamix and use it every day.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 10:24 AM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Get a couple of All Clad pans. You won't regret it. 

And while you are at it, get Lodge cast iron frying pan (not enameled) with a lid and maybe a Le Creuset or Staub enameled dutch oven. That's all you really need. 

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

I absolutely love my Rada cutlery knife set....and it isn't really expensive, but they are amazing for peeling and dicing vegetables.  After having them, department store knives would never fit my bill...lol.  

I have always had cheap pots and pans, but we are slowly 1 piece at a time getting cast iron pieces that I have always wanted.  I vote cast iron😁

Have a Merry Christmas!

Brenda

• Like 1

13 hours ago, I talk to the trees said:

Yes, yes, yes to the knife sharpener! Dull knives can be more dangerous than sharp ones, because you have to apply so much more force to use them- and if you slip.....Yikes!

Off topic...I love your name!  I am a tree lover as well....as a kid I seriously hugged them😁.

Brenda

• Like 1

Lodge cast iron skillet.

A 5.5 quart dutch oven and a 2.5 quart dutch oven. Staub or another good brand mentioned here. Someone gifted me a Pioneer Woman 5.5 quart and the enamel has chiped off the bottom exterior in a few places and its only 2 years old. The small one was also a gift. They got it at Big Lots of all places and its actually great. Totally no name brand whatsoever but it has held up well! No scratches or chiping or anything!  I use it almost daily, when I didn't think I'd use it much because its small. 

A silicone basting brush. I had a bristle one previously and it was probably cheap but the bristles came out of it very easily. The silicone has no such issue and washes in the top rack of the dishwasher comepletely painlessly. 

• Like 1

I have Wustof 8” chef knife and the handle is falling apart. Dh got it for me at Williams Sonoma for Christmas 12 years ago. So don’t expect it to be “the last knife you buy.” 

Also, I love my all clad except for the 9” skillet. It’s warped, and has been that way for several years. I bought my all clad in spring 2006. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SamanthaCarter said:

I have Wustof 8” chef knife and the handle is falling apart. Dh got it for me at Williams Sonoma for Christmas 12 years ago. So don’t expect it to be “the last knife you buy.” 

Also, I love my all clad except for the 9” skillet. It’s warped, and has been that way for several years. I bought my all clad in spring 2006. 

Unless the handle is wood (which they don't warranty), I would contact Wusthof and ask for a replacement under their lifetime warranty.