Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Mainer

Favorite chapter books for early-mid 2nd grade reading level

Recommended Posts

I could swear I've read threads on this exact topic, but I can't find them. Spelling the word "chatper books" didn't help, either, but even spelled correctly I can't find what I *think* I remember reading.

Anywho, fav chapter books for early-mid 2nd grade? Hoping for boy-friendly, and not too many words on a page. So far I've got:

High Noon

Scholastic Branches

Marvin Redpost (DRA 20 - but seems harder!)

 

 

I think Scholastic Branches could last us a long while, but options are good!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I've been thinking I need some variety for ds. I tried MTH (magic treehouse) but he's not loving them. That ship may have sailed, dunno. There's the Big Nate series, which our library has as ebooks. He liked Amulet, but I think they're like level O for F&P, check your lexile.

Here the issue is he's staying more chilled with picture supports.So like MTH will have less pictures. Someone had mentioned Geronimo Stilton and I'm not sure what's holding him back there as they would seem to fit the criteria.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try The Stories Julian Tells. It's the first in a series and was a favorite of DS14 when he was at that reading level (though he was in fifth grade at the time). We were having trouble getting DS to read anything from beginning to end, and Julian and its sequels worked when nothing else did.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kingdom of Wrenly  books are loved by my struggling reader. I'm not exactly sure what their reading level is, but they seem close to the same as Scholastic Branches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2018 at 5:15 PM, PeterPan said:

Well I've been thinking I need some variety for ds. I tried MTH (magic treehouse) but he's not loving them. That ship may have sailed, dunno. There's the Big Nate series, which our library has as ebooks. He liked Amulet, but I think they're like level O for F&P, check your lexile.

Here the issue is he's staying more chilled with picture supports.So like MTH will have less pictures. Someone had mentioned Geronimo Stilton and I'm not sure what's holding him back there as they would seem to fit the criteria.

I think lots of pictures + fewer words on a page is key  - lessens anxiety which would only jam him up. Keep going with what you're doing! 🙂

 

Edited by Mainer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Heathermomster said:

Is the Billy and Blaze series too young?

Oh, I love Billy and Blaze 🙂 Forgot about that - thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ricky Ricotta robot series

"Nate the great" early readers that transfer into Big Nate later

Galaxy Zack

My son read almost all of the books recomended here

He really took off when he started to read the Humphrey the hamster series but for early readers we went and found the tiny chapter books and went for level 3. Then jumped to Hank the cow dog etc. A-Z mysteries was a big favorite and heavy on site words , very readable. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh that's funny, I hadn't made the connection that Nate the Great turned into Big Nate, lol.

It's occurring to me that I need to get around to finding some books that ds can do as immersion reading. I think maybe he's finally ready. 

I think the language level is still driving a lot of the suitability on these books more than the decoding level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure exactly what reading level it is, but Dragon in a Sock Drawer series might fit the bill.  It's pretty high interest, has nice sized print and a fair number of illustrations.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also can I suggest two other ideas

This level is difficult. you need a lot of content with ready to decode words a few vocabulary mixed in. I

purchasing some leveled classroom readers off of ebay is really helpful. 

I also like the all about reading books ( don't need to buy the workbooks the readers are great to get past the decoding to reading level) those might be a bit to low but they are very useful 

Also find a book and pick out the vocabulary or words that are hard to decode. Cover those words in lesson as good vocabulary words to know. 

Many authors use the same writing style throughout the series and they also write those books so they do not have to be read in order. This is handy because the later ones are a bit higher AR level. You could pick like book 36 in the A-Z mysteries as a read aloud and then leave the first book out laying around to peak the child interest. Then they can climb into the series and grow with it. 

If the child is struggling with free reading then I really like to use A-Z reading and raz-kids. They have leveled readers on the ipad or online for up to 6th grade level. Many of the books you can listen to while you read which is really helpful for fluency. 

Edited by exercise_guru
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did some checking tonight and Overdrive has a format option called ReadAlong. I haven't figured out if it works on the ipad or kindle yet. Gotta wait till morning when tech reappears, lol.  So anything I can get like that through the library for immersion reading would be free, boom. I just hadn't figured out how to do that yet.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we tried a read-along via Overdrive, and he LIKES it! Now the bummer is it looks like devices have to be online to do the read-along version, which stinks. I'll keep working on it. That's just Overdrive, and I think audiobooks that check out through amazon from the library won't be that way. Then I just need to have both versions. Overdrive just has a nice, easily searchable selection. I will probably set that up on a computer for him, boom. We need things he goes to his office to do, so that's perfect.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, exercise_guru said:

Also can I suggest two other ideas

This level is difficult. you need a lot of content with ready to decode words a few vocabulary mixed in. I

purchasing some leveled classroom readers off of ebay is really helpful. 

I also like the all about reading books ( don't need to buy the workbooks the readers are great to get past the decoding to reading level) those might be a bit to low but they are very useful 

Also find a book and pick out the vocabulary or words that are hard to decode. Cover those words in lesson as good vocabulary words to know. 

Many authors use the same writing style throughout the series and they also write those books so they do not have to be read in order. This is handy because the later ones are a bit higher AR level. You could pick like book 36 in the A-Z mysteries as a read aloud and then leave the first book out laying around to peak the child interest. Then they can climb into the series and grow with it. 

If the child is struggling with free reading then I really like to use A-Z reading and raz-kids. They have leveled readers on the ipad or online for up to 6th grade level. Many of the books you can listen to while you read which is really helpful for fluency. 

 

I love Raz-Kids, too. My kids are also enjoying Epic - the books are "real" books, not written-for-Raz-books. There's a small monthly fee for Epic. Lots of books have "read to me" options, and there are also audiobooks! Nancy Drew... if only I was 12 again!!!! 🙂

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We tried Epic, and right now my kids aren’t interested because they have books we already own, library books, or books on Kindle from Overdrive, etc.

But they send me emails about turning our account back on, and I think we will try it again in another few months.  It looks nice to me, but it didn’t have the exact books my kids wanted and we have access to books in other ways.  

I downloaded the app onto my phone and it’s very readable there, I like that it doesn’t have to be on a tablet since we don’t have a tablet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.getepic.com/

On the app it says it would cost $7.99/month to turn my subscription on, but I get emails for 1-month or 3-month offers that are better.

I signed up for the one-month trial and then didn’t renew.  I have a great impression, though, lol.  But we have a lot of books and go to the library often, and I also don’t think my kids have ended up using it at school.  I think it’s an option at school but they choose other books.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Lecka said:

https://www.getepic.com/

On the app it says it would cost $7.99/month to turn my subscription on, but I get emails for 1-month or 3-month offers that are better.

I signed up for the one-month trial and then didn’t renew.  I have a great impression, though, lol.  But we have a lot of books and go to the library often, and I also don’t think my kids have ended up using it at school.  I think it’s an option at school but they choose other books.  

There are just so many THINGS... Raz, Epic, Overdrive, etc... we can't do them all 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE A COUPON FOR
10% OFF
We respect your privacy.You’ll hear about new products, special discounts & sales, and homeschooling tips. *Coupon only valid for first-time registrants. Coupon cannot be combined with any other offer. Entering your email address makes you eligible to receive future promotional emails.
0 Shares
Share
Tweet
Pin
×