Menu

Finishing Math Mammoth grade 7, mid year

So what next? She’s currently just turning 13 and in 7th grade. I have a couple thoughts...I don’t want to teach algebra, mostly because of the time required and her attitude toward me with Math. So...

1.) begin Derek Owens algebra, hopefully finish it up before next year, enroll in whatever is next at an online school. 

2.) Choose another algebra and work through the first parts and enroll in the fall with a different program

3.) Do something like Life of Fred or Beast Academy, or finish our Right Start Geometry to finish out the year and re-energize for A1 in the fall. 

She has done very very well in MM7. 

I would lean towards #3 unless you have a motivated math lover. We did some of CTC Understanding Geometry and some Life of Fred (Fractions, Decimals & Percents, Pre-A with Biology) in 7th grade and it was a big hit and a no stress way to finish out the year. Only one of my kids so far has been a math lover, the rest have needed some time to mature and let things percolate a bit before tackling Algebra, and 8th grade was plenty soon for them.

• 4 weeks later...

She is motivated and does like math. She has essentially covered 4 grades of MM in 3 years and when I sat down with her she wants to jump in to DO right away. So I think that’s what we are going to do. I guess worst case scenario we back up for Algebra 1 next year, right?

17 hours ago, mamamoose said:

She is motivated and does like math. She has essentially covered 4 grades of MM in 3 years and when I sat down with her she wants to jump in to DO right away. So I think that’s what we are going to do. I guess worst case scenario we back up for Algebra 1 next year, right?

She will be fine. Algebra 1 in 7th grade is very common here in PS.